Cooling a Bedroom

Anybody got any recommendations for cooling a bedroom? It's around 25 degrees, it has an Air filter/purifier and an oscillating fan.
Can't afford an Air Conditioner.
Anybody use Thermal/blackout blinds?
Thanks for any replies.:thumbsup:

55 Comments

Try a ceiling fan?

Rather cheap nowadays, I have one, does the job very well

Can you create a way of having the air pass thru by opening a window/door at opposite ends of the house to create a wind tunnel effect. The cooler air from outside gets sucked into the room. (Have to choose words carefully)
This worked for me when I was working abroad.

Original Poster

Deal4Me

Try a ceiling fan?Rather cheap nowadays, I have one, does the job very … Try a ceiling fan?Rather cheap nowadays, I have one, does the job very well

I'm toying with that idea, we have one in the lounge but I don't think it cools the room just moves the air around.
Thanks for the reply.:thumbsup:

Original Poster

mrtootough

Can you create a way of having the air pass thru by opening a window/door … Can you create a way of having the air pass thru by opening a window/door at opposite ends of the house to create a wind tunnel effect. The cooler air from outside gets sucked into the room. (Have to choose words carefully)This worked for me when I was working abroad.

It's for my Daughters Bedroom and she won't go to bed with the door open.
Thanks for the reply.:thumbsup:

putting icepacks infront of the fan is supposed to work also.

Banned

I dont think there is much you an do in this weather, as there is no cool breeze so all fans seem to do is blow warm air around :oops:

I know another of my unhelpful posts :oops:

sassie

I dont think there is much you an do in this weather, as there is no cool … I dont think there is much you an do in this weather, as there is no cool breeze so all fans seem to do is blow warm air around :oops:I know another of my unhelpful posts :oops:

Print Sassies post out, fold into pleats and wave vigourously.
Shall be of more use - lol

Original Poster

mrtootough

putting icepacks infront of the fan is supposed to work also.

That's not a bad idea. :thumbsup:

Banned

jeeze i come on here to offer unhelpful information and still end up being useful - :giggle: :giggle:

Original Poster

sassie

I dont think there is much you an do in this weather, as there is no cool … I dont think there is much you an do in this weather, as there is no cool breeze so all fans seem to do is blow warm air around :oops:I know another of my unhelpful posts :oops:

Ummmmmm, it was quite helpful, I'm thinking we do ned an AC :-( :-( because you are right, a fan does just move the warm air around.

Original Poster

sassie

jeeze i come on here to offer unhelpful information and still end up … jeeze i come on here to offer unhelpful information and still end up being useful - :giggle: :giggle:

Every bit helps.:roll: Thanks.

sassie

jeeze i come on here to offer unhelpful information and still end up … jeeze i come on here to offer unhelpful information and still end up being useful - :giggle: :giggle:

Sassie, your gonna have to try harder to be useless

]The Answer

and will keep wine cool too

Banned

mrtootough

Sassie, your gonna have to try harder to be useless

Im not just a pretty face ya know, must remember to try harder

Banned

mrtootough

]The Answerand will keep wine cool too

Probably not the wisest idea for a childs bedroom :giggle:

Original Poster

mrtootough

]The Answerand will keep wine cool too

By the time I've made that it will be winter again. :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

sassie

Probably not the wisest idea for a childs bedroom :giggle:

I suppose your right, the child could drink the wine and we wouldn't be too happy about that.
Better off just letting her suffer.

Banned

mrtootough

I suppose your right, the child could drink the wine and we wouldn't be … I suppose your right, the child could drink the wine and we wouldn't be too happy about that. :)Better off just letting her suffer.

LMFAO :giggle:

dinosteveus

It's for my Daughters Bedroom and she won't go to bed with the door open. … It's for my Daughters Bedroom and she won't go to bed with the door open. Thanks for the reply.:thumbsup:

If its for your daughters room, I again recommend a ceiling fan! I got mine on now and I think its great!

Have you messed with the fan settings for the direction of the way the fan spins? One of them brings in warm air, the other direction blows cold air.

Original Poster

Deal4Me

If its for your daughters room, I again recommend a ceiling fan! I got … If its for your daughters room, I again recommend a ceiling fan! I got mine on now and I think its great!Have you messed with the fan settings for the direction of the way the fan spins? One of them brings in warm air, the other direction blows cold air.

Yes, I've had a 'play' with the one in the lounge. We've had it about five years and it does the job quite well.

I'm going to check with the CF Clinic and see if it's OK to use an A/C, if not I'll get a ceiling fan.
Thanks again.:thumbsup:

yeah, i too would recommend a ceiling fan. thats what i have:)

]Try something like this

Theres a few good air conditioners on ebay at the mo - always worth a try...

dinosteveus

I'm going to check with the CF Clinic and see if it's OK to use an A/C, … I'm going to check with the CF Clinic and see if it's OK to use an A/C, if not I'll get a ceiling fan.Thanks again.:thumbsup:

Blinds and curtains might help. The Dept of Health advice is "Keep windows closed while the room is cooler than it is outside. Open them when the temperature inside rises and at night for ventilation."

Netto are doing an air cooler/humidifier for £40 from the 18th June. It looks like it has a small compartment to add ice to keep the air cool....You'll find it on page 8 of the 18th June offers.

Like the idea earlier about the ice packs!

You can get 2 for 69p from £ saver - the blue self contained ones

I have a blackout blind in my children's room which works very well - so long as you remember to keep it closed, lol.

Knock down a wall - just not a load bearing one.
Nice little breeze always handy.

Or underfloor cooling works well (and can be duel function to heat the floor in winter)

I put a bottle of water in the freezer, then stand it infront of the fan and it blows the cool ait around instead of the warm air.

kelly_o_fanatic

I put a bottle of water in the freezer, then stand it infront of the fan … I put a bottle of water in the freezer, then stand it infront of the fan and it blows the cool ait around instead of the warm air.

YUp empty coke bottle filled with water and frozen placed infront of a £10 desk fan = best air conditioning I've ever had!!!!!

dinosteveus

I'm toying with that idea, we have one in the lounge but I don't think it … I'm toying with that idea, we have one in the lounge but I don't think it cools the room just moves the air around.Thanks for the reply.:thumbsup:

You have to make sure you have the fan going the right way and it is the right size, along with an open window in the room, you will be cool in a couple of hours. We have no heating in our bedroom and just a ceiling fan and have no problems getting to sleep on the hottest of nights. We have had it for about 10 years now and was fitted/connected up by a proper sparks so that the light works off the light switch and the fan from the pull cord....would be lost without it :thumbsup:

The way it works is - it blows hot air down in the heat (Summer) and sucks the cold air up in the winter. Weird but it works...:thinking:

Original Poster

Thanks as ever for the replies everyone.
I've reserved this ceiling fan from Argos:-
http://www.argos.co.uk/wcsstore/argos/images/4309415A65UC278527X.jpg
]http//ww…=14
I'm quite a dab hand at electrics, so moving the existing (sp ?) light and fitting this should be a doddle. I'll let you all know how much it reduces the temperature in her Bedroom.
If it does not work adequately I'll be getting an Air Conditioner.

dinosteveus

Thanks as ever for the replies everyone.I've reserved this ceiling fan … Thanks as ever for the replies everyone.I've reserved this ceiling fan from Argos:-]http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=10651&langId=-1&searchTerms=4309415&go.x=11&go.y=14I'm quite a dab hand at electrics, so moving the existing (sp ?) light and fitting this should be a doddle. I'll let you all know how much it reduces the temperature in her Bedroom.If it does not work adequately I'll be getting an Air Conditioner.

I think you might like to look at the 4 bladed one as an alternative, it will give better down draught, (but not a gale) than this 3 bladed one with less revolutions. B&Q do them for a resonable amount now a days.

]http//s7…ic$

and at £14.98 it is a bit cheaper as well, got 3 of these in our house ]B&Q

mrtootough

Can you create a way of having the air pass thru by opening a window/door … Can you create a way of having the air pass thru by opening a window/door at opposite ends of the house to create a wind tunnel effect. The cooler air from outside gets sucked into the room. (Have to choose words carefully)This worked for me when I was working abroad.

this works for me,aprt from at night,when the moths like to come in my room

We have a ceiling fan above our bed. The fan has 3 speeds and 4 blades and is very quiet. We bought it from ]Homebase.

Original Poster

Crazy1

I think you might like to look at the 4 bladed one as an alternative, it … I think you might like to look at the 4 bladed one as an alternative, it will give better down draught, (but not a gale) than this 3 bladed one with less revolutions. B&Q do them for a resonable amount now a days.]http://s7ondemand4.scene7.com/is/servlet/izoom/BandQ/5015792941443_001c_v001_zp?&$230x230_generic$and at £14.98 it is a bit cheaper as well, got 3 of these in our house ]B&Q

Only being able to use a 40 Watt bulb put me off that one.:-(

Original Poster

palspal

We have a ceiling fan above our bed. The fan has 3 speeds and 4 blades … We have a ceiling fan above our bed. The fan has 3 speeds and 4 blades and is very quiet. We bought it from ]Homebase.

Which model? The Homebase site is the same as Argos.:thinking:

I bought a 4 blade one from Argos yesterday with a 42" BLADE SPAN FOR £19.99. triple light fitting, but I never use the light anyway.

argos.co.uk/sta…htm

3 blade ones are not as well balanced BTW.

dinosteveus

Which model? The Homebase site is the same as Argos.:thinking:

It was about 6 years ago and unfortunately they no longer have that model.

Homebase is owned by the same company that owns Argos but H. does seem to have more choice and if it is a big store you can see them on display (although with them all usually working you cannot hear which one might be too noisy).

As Crazy1 says, there is also a wide range at B&Q and again the warehouses have most on display.

dinosteveus

Only being able to use a 40 Watt bulb put me off that one.:-(

And I thought you were [COLOR=seagreen]GREEN [COLOR=black]Dino,[/COLOR] [/COLOR][COLOR=black]how wrong I was :giggle: if you buy the energy saving bulbs you can have 3 x 100w bulbs in there using about 40w of leci, giving out 300w of light :w00t: [/COLOR]

Open window before and put the fan right next to the window ... then close it all up when she goes to bed. We have blackouts in my daughter's and her room is always pretty cool in the morning.

Original Poster

Update,
Yesterday I went to Makro and they had an offer of 20% off all ceiling fans. I bought a 4 blade fan with 3 speeds for £12.00 inc VAT.
I fitted it this afternoon and within a couple of hours it reduced the temperature by 2 degrees.
Thanks for all the replies and help. I can definately recommend a ceiling fan.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2642
    2. Thousands of minimum wage workers to receive part of £2,000,000 compensatio…44
    3. Weekly game codes giveaway 183722
    4. How much would you pay for this chair?1214

See more discussions