Groups

Cooling hot laptop down

I've been given a laptop which is running pretty hot. CPU lingers around 60°C most of the time and goes above 70°C when performing more taxing tasks such as playing videos and would probably go into the 80s if there's not a lot of airflow around the vents.

The graphics chip (onboard) also generates a lot of heat. Not sure of the temperate as there's no sensor for it.

I'm going to take it apart and do the following:
    1. Clear out all the dust which has built up
    2. Reapply thermal paste to CPU and GPU

Any other suggestions for getting the temperature down?

7 Comments

glass table top / wood/ flat surface , no carpet/ bedding/ dressing gown use.

Supermod

Leave it in the fridge overnight.

put a cloth over the fan, and put the hoover nozzle to it worked for me!

Original Poster

dontasciime

glass table top / wood/ flat surface , no carpet/ bedding/ dressing gown … glass table top / wood/ flat surface , no carpet/ bedding/ dressing gown use.

Wise tip. I think it gets used on a cushion, so that's probably not helping matters.

magicjay1986

Leave it in the fridge overnight.

Considering just last night I followed an internet guide on how to revive a dead laptop battery, which suggested putting it in the freezer, I'm not sure whether this is a serious comment!

yellowsticker

put a cloth over the fan, and put the hoover nozzle to it worked for … put a cloth over the fan, and put the hoover nozzle to it worked for me!

Yeah, I imagine a lot of dust has built up in the fans, but I'll be cleaning them out when I disassemble it. The laptop is knackered, the hoover might suck all the loose components up!

have you tried re-pasting the cpu

Original Poster

wickedteen

have you tried re-pasting the cpu

That's on my list of things to do, as per the OP

have you got paste yet, i use mx2 its the best ive found so far, should drop your temps down by at least 35c
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Potential upcoming Argos glitch or buggy app?66
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047072
      3. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…1836
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767134

See more discussions