Posted 5th Oct 2021
How did I not know this.

Blue stores are part of the coop group and where you can use the app ( £1 to join) and well worth it for the savings you make with vouchers. Got 75p off today on milk and bread

The green stores are coop independents, and not part of the group and you can't use the discount vouchers.

Never even noticed the colour branding difference.
Community Updates
Misc
New Comment

Groups

8 Comments
  1. Avatar
    I’ve never seen the green brand sign.

blog.coop.co.uk/is-…up/
    Edited by: "Predikuesi" 5th Oct 2021
  2. Avatar
    I don't think this is correct, there's three near me, I never noticed but checked google maps, two blue and a green. One of the blue ones is closed and their sign directs people to the green even though it's further than the other blue one (someone asked why on facebook and were told the other blue wasn't part of the coop group). Even though it has the blue Co-op logo not the cooperative local it's apparently owned by costcutter and the brand is licensed, it doesn't show on the coop site.

Also the coop store finder on the website only shows one of the blues and a green (with full cooperative local branding), the other blue isn't shown. It's probably just down to branding and when they were done.

It seems to contradict their own blog.
    Edited by: "dcx_badass" 5th Oct 2021
  3. Avatar
    everything in the co-op is overpriced, imho
  4. Avatar
    Author
    45736723_1.jpgI recommend the app though although it's a £1 to buy share.
    Got over £1 off on first shop so result. Maybe got a lucky.
    We hade both green and blue coop stores that are close to each other on our estate. The blue one is better for food but the green one has post office inside
    Edited by: "wayners" 5th Oct 2021
  5. Avatar
    wayners05/10/2021 15:08

[Image] I recommend the app though although it's a £1 to buy share.Got …[Image] I recommend the app though although it's a £1 to buy share.Got over £1 off on first shop so result. Maybe got a lucky. We hade both green and blue coop stores that are close to each other on our estate. The blue one is better for food but the green one has post office inside

Once every area had their own retail co-op group and they all were part of the co-op itself, in recent years many of the regional groups merged into the co-op group and the others kept them separate as the independant stores. For those that merged they moved everything under one roof, where as before you would have say North Eastern Co-op with its own head office and a Midlands one with its own head office and management. From what I remember the buying was done at a national level to help get things cheaper.

You used to in the 60 to 80 get a divi if you were a member a percentage of the profits and they tried to bring that back in the late 90s but it was never the same.

I worked for our regions co-op in the late 90s while at university as a mature student, they really were playing at shops even back then. Senior management didnt really havea clue about much, even to the point when they used to do store visits they would tell you they were coming weeks ahead and then head office would send in painters and shop fitters to fix things that had been broken. The senior team must have thought that every store smelled of paint

They rolled out a new ordering and till system, I only worked weekends at the time and they got me to do all of the programming and set up and then held on to the roll out until I was on holiday for the bigger stores as they didnt have anyone who could figure it out. They had simply bought it and wouldnt pay for the installation.
  6. Avatar
    I have cards for both stores. 1 for the Northern Co-op and 1 for the Southern Co-op. They have different offers in each store, but I use the Northern Co-op the most
  7. Avatar
    If you have a NUS Card you get 10% off at the Coop
  8. Avatar
    Author
    There is now a midcounties coop app for discounts so now both the blue and green coop have schemes.
    This was news to me. Result though
    46051488-FxTlC.jpg
    Edited by: "wayners" 12th Nov 2021
Post a comment
Top Merchants