Copycat prices fool Amazon buyers - Times Newspaper Sunday reports

thetimes.co.uk/edi…g90
Full half page spread in Sunday Times newspaper on page 11 but if you have not hardcopy and subscription to The Times online , read this same story here dailymail.co.uk/new…tml
and here
theguardian.com/bus…zon
Customers are being lulled into believing they are getting the best deal from retailers on Amazon when the product can often be bought cheaper elsewhere online — including on the retailers’ own websites.

A Sunday Times investigation has found a number of cases where rival independent retailers who sell on the Amazon Marketplace platform are offering the same product at the same lowest price on Amazon, suggesting fierce competition and a bargain for the shopper.

In fact, the products can often be bought more cheaply at other online stores..................(rest read links above)
Seems to be :-

Competition & Markets Authority KEY WARNINGS TO ONLINE SELLERS ARE:

Agree with their competitors what prices they will charge, or that they won’t undercut each other on price.

Discuss their pricing intentions or strategies with competitors.

Examples of breach:-
1/ It fined Trod, which sells posters and frames on Amazon, £163,371 in July for agreeing with one of its competitors not to undercut each other’s prices. Amazon was not involved in the cartel and was not investigated.

2/ In April, the CMA fined Ultra Finishing £826,000 for threatening online retailers with penalties if they charged below the company’s recommended price for bathroom supplies.

Yes, that's right, I have done it, after reading prices on Amazon I have found cheaper at Co-operative Electricals, Zavvi, Mymemory, Pharmaceuticals...

14 Comments

splender

...Yes, that's right, I have done it, after reading prices on Amazon I … ...Yes, that's right, I have done it, after reading prices on Amazon I have found cheaper at Co-operative Electricals, Zavvi, Mymemory, Pharmaceuticals.

http://rlv.zcache.com/gold_star_well_done_classic_round_sticker-rd0b5432165934979b94d516e396856db_v9waf_8byvr_512.jpg

If you don't shop around and buy believing it's the lowest then it's your own fault.

Original Poster

fanpages

I didn't think you knew or even care to post here in Misc. But for the benefits of others:-
http://media.salemwebnetwork.com/cms/CROSSCARDS/31215-cc_WaterColorThankYou.1100w.tn.jpg

Original Poster

Standi

If you don't shop around and buy believing it's the lowest then it's your … If you don't shop around and buy believing it's the lowest then it's your own fault.

Much more scheming than that , read the newspaper article, including anti-competitive behaviour like behind the door agreement and manipulation of prices to fool customers that there is competition.
Moreover the internet search engines may very well not find you the other online retailers. Like page 4 (on a desktop 15" screen) or more deep into Google search before you get on right page with cheaper price (about 8 or more pages on a smartphone at least).
Edited by: "splender" 13th Nov 2016

In some cases it can be said that people buy from Amazon mainly for the excellent customer service regarding replacements/exchanges and price matches.

splender

Much more scheming than that , read the newspaper article, including … Much more scheming than that , read the newspaper article, including anti-competitive behaviour like behind the door agreement and manipulation of prices to fool customers that there is competition.

Just had a quick read, i see your point but i still think my point stands. Amazon never promise to be the cheapest as far as i am aware so if you don't shop around then it's your own fault.

Original Poster

Standi

Just had a quick read, i see your point but i still think my point … Just had a quick read, i see your point but i still think my point stands. Amazon never promise to be the cheapest as far as i am aware so if you don't shop around then it's your own fault.

The age old caveat emptor applies , but in practice it has been found not to work well for consumers, so that's why we have the CMA (Competitions & Markets Authority) and a department therein called "Cartels and Criminal Group".
I don't know if you know, once a company get to a certain dominant position they get scrutised for compliance with the law for business practices that crush competition.
I am not making a point about what people should or should not do, I am not here to teach mothers to suck eggs, other than that I reported I have found cheaper prices elsewhere as a statement of fact.

A retailers fees for selling on their own website are around 1%. Amazon fees are massively higher - doesn't take a genius to work out why this happens but it's barely even morally wrong.

Amazon are rarely the sole cheapest seller. All they do is price match the competition and make more profit due to paying no tax,

Generally, I will buy elsewhere from a major UK retailer if I can and the price is the same

Anyone who thinks amazon are always the cheapest deserves to be ripped off. .

Original Poster

chocci

Amazon are rarely the sole cheapest seller. All they do is price match … Amazon are rarely the sole cheapest seller. All they do is price match the competition and make more profit due to paying no tax, Generally, I will buy elsewhere from a major UK retailer if I can and the price is the sameAnyone who thinks amazon are always the cheapest deserves to be ripped off. .

Yes, the story is in fact more than it first appears, it is online retailers doing price fixing using Amazon marketplace as well. (Without Amazon involvement but using their platform in selling), so prices are NOT cheaper elsewhere as it is fixed pricing and you cannot find cheaper.
Edited by: "splender" 13th Nov 2016

chocci

Amazon are rarely the sole cheapest seller. All they do is price match … Amazon are rarely the sole cheapest seller. All they do is price match the competition and make more profit due to paying no tax, Generally, I will buy elsewhere from a major UK retailer if I can and the price is the sameAnyone who thinks amazon are always the cheapest deserves to be ripped off. .

They're usually cheapest for books (Always check the amazon sellers sites first e.g. Wordery) but they're rarely cheapest for anything else.

This is the worse non-story I've seen in a while.
Someone point them to game.co.uk they will be there all day listing places you can get everything cheaper.

splender

[img]http://www.thetimes.co.uk/imageserver/image/methode%2Fsundaytimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F9dfc6b66-a8fd-11e6-89ad-c090de2d496c.jpg?crop=2250,1266,0,117&resize=320,[/img]

it is a problem with their synths
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763874
    2. What's you favourite 60s 70s 80s song ?963001
    3. Baby boxes to be sent to new parents in Scotland from Tuesday!1422
    4. New TV,Film & Ebook Releases 2407225

See more discussions