Copying from a video to a DVD

Posted 1st Mar
I have an old video (a proper video, not a video clip on my phone) and would like to have a copy of it made onto a DVD. Does anybody know a company/place that offers this kind of service, and if so, how much that would likely cost? My older son gave me an external DVD writer a few years ago but I've never looked at it - can one of these be used to do it, and if so, does anybody have any instructions, please? Thank you.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
Just copy it to usb stick and push in usb socket on TV. Most modern tvs will play it. It's just an mp4 format. Burning dvd will work but they degrade over time so not a good way to keep it on a dvd. I have loads now that won't play
wayners01/03/2020 09:03

Just copy it to usb stick and push in usb socket on TV. Most modern tvs …Just copy it to usb stick and push in usb socket on TV. Most modern tvs will play it. It's just an mp4 format. Burning dvd will work but they degrade over time so not a good way to keep it on a dvd. I have loads now that won't play

Im pretty sure that VHS recorders didn't have USB slots to put a USB stick in it.
Simplest option, snappysnaps offer this service.
In order to do it on the pc yourself, you’ll need a few extra bits, and for a single video not worth the effort and cost.
High street shops such Boots, Snappy Snaps & Timpsons (the shoe repairers, key cutters) all offer this service & it costs about £25-£30. You can find online companies who will do it for half that price.

if you want to do it yourself you’ll need a video capture device for your pc/ laptop. Cheap ones can be found for less than £10 (Amazon, eBay etc) but results will probably vary. An alternative without the need to use a computer would be to find a cheap used dvd recorder (not a computer DVD writer) on eBay.
Edited by: "captainbeaky" 1st Mar
Ask your Facebook friends if they can do it
If you still have a VHS player and a DVD recorder (the one that connects to a TV), then you just need to link the two together. I used to do this. The DVD won't be professional, but I doubt any VHS recording is going to be too good anyhow.
A few "buy it now" dvd recorders for the same price as sending it away for copying on eBay if you've already got a vhs player.
All you'll then need is a scart lead (just turn off "on screen display" on the video player) or use second scart output if available
Hi Sophiasky. If you fancy a bit of fun/DIY, take a look at this similar thread from another member:

hotukdeals.com/dis…481

It's really not as difficult as you may think. The simplest method would be to ask friends/family if anyone has a combi VHS/DVD recorder. They can simply play your video and re-record it "on-the-fly" to a blank DVD. Perhaps you could even converse with the member of the thread above to see how they got on?

All the best, Phsy.
The only problem you might have would be if the video has issues tracking on anything other then the machine it was recorded on.
If you can get hold of more than one VHS machine (something of a task these days), you'd have a better chance.
If you get a lot of distortion at the top and bottom of the screen you'll have to play with the tracking control. If nothing will stabilize it you'd need to get it done professionally somewhere with pro equipment...
EBay...video to DVD service. There's a few not tried though.
Thank you all for your advice. I have looked at one place so far (from the first link above) and for 4 x DVD copies from one tape they charge £31 (other options available - USB sticks, Cloud download link, etc). I will shop around though to see if I can get a cheaper price.
esar01/03/2020 10:29

A few "buy it now" dvd recorders for the same price as sending it away for …A few "buy it now" dvd recorders for the same price as sending it away for copying on eBay if you've already got a vhs player.All you'll then need is a scart lead (just turn off "on screen display" on the video player) or use second scart output if available

And then you can sell it on once finished with the total cost practically zero.
smashed03/03/2020 13:21

And then you can sell it on once finished with the total cost practically …And then you can sell it on once finished with the total cost practically zero.

Thank you, I will look at this option as well.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants