Groups

Copyright infringement. Advice please.

My sons been making BMX videos, editing them with music and then uploading them to Youtube and elsewhere on the net. He's now had them removed from Youtube for copyright infringement. How should he go about getting permission to use the music and is it likely to cost him as he's only a student and isn't making any money from them?

7 Comments

He will have to contact the company that copywrighted the music and ask for permission to use it in his videos - i wouldnt think it would cost anything

they'll still take it down if it is a track which the record company doesn't like used, use creative commons music (aka netlabel music) or audioswap (within youtube) to guarantee success

PRS, stifling the creative art.

Banned

just contact the company, aslong as he isnt making money off the videos they wshouldnt mind or charge him

If he's only using short passages of each song, ie: 20sec of one and 20sec of another song I would have thought it would fall under "fair use". As long as he is not making money from the videos/adverts on the website.

SUMMONER;4624847

If he's only using short passages of each song, ie: 20sec of one and … If he's only using short passages of each song, ie: 20sec of one and 20sec of another song I would have thought it would fall under "fair use". As long as he is not making money from the videos/adverts on the website.

In a sane, non profit orientated world you would be correct. Fair use in music amounts to listening to it on your ipod etc.

A random quote :

Music and Fair UseWe have attempted to do find specific details and … Music and Fair UseWe have attempted to do find specific details and examples of Fair Use of music. The rumors that it is OK to use so many notes or so many bars are just not true. There is little doubt that, other than private in-home listening and playing, Fair Use of music is extremely limited. However, we have been able to find almost no discussion of this area outside of legal books clearly meant for attorneys. We have received several conflicting opinions from teachers and college professors about the Fair Use of music in education, especially involving student film and video projects. We highly recommend that you consult an attorney or rights clearance agency before you use any music under copyright protection for anything other than your own personal use.

are there no local bands that wouldn't mind him using some of thier tracks
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764306
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846211
      3. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?2235
      4. What do you feel like whinging about today?1917265

See more discussions