Corbyn Sweeps To Victory With 59.5% Of Vote

Found 12th Sep 2015
Jeremy Corbyn has been elected the new leader of the Labour Party in one of the biggest political shocks of recent times.

The veteran left-wing MP beat Yvette Cooper, Andy Burnham and Liz Kendall in the first round, winning 59.5% of the 400,00 votes cast.

Burnham won 19%, Cooper 17% and Kendall 4.5%.
Community Updates
Top comments
I am very happy at the result today. I am not a Tory or a loony. I am a grass roots Labour supporter and I'm delighted that there is now an opportunity for 'old' Labour to be re-heard. Maybe it will never take off, maybe it will re-energise politics, either way I'm happy for the opportunity.
365pizza

What point is principle when your voice is ignored by the ruling party … What point is principle when your voice is ignored by the ruling party because "they can"?Is it a good thing not to have a viable, electable opposition?Do you vote Tory and want to see Labour destroyed?Hows that for starters?

I voted Labour in the last election. I support Corbyn because he is principled and authentic.

I disagree with him on a variety of things but agree with him on a lot.

I like his beard.
222 Comments
Original Poster Banned
Fantastic, looking forward to the destruction of the Labour Party.

Close the door on the way out.
So 10 years of a Tory government - they will really go to town now........the rich will get given lots of tax breaks and the rest of us will be screwed...
Edited by: "gari189" 12th Sep 2015
Banned
gari189

So 10 years of a Tory government - they will really go to town … So 10 years of a Tory government - they will really go to town now........the rich will get given lots of tax breaks and the rest of us will be screwed...

But look on the bright side. At least we will get rid of the Scots now! lol

Dont bite Gari. Just teasing!
I would rather give a new guy a try instead of the same old **** from labour
365pizza

But look on the bright side. At least we will get rid of the Scots now! … But look on the bright side. At least we will get rid of the Scots now! lolDont bite Gari. Just teasing!

think I will move to Scotland to get away from Toryland

Who in their right minds would vote for a 70 year old scruffbag who looks like Michael Foot as their prime minister.....mind you might give the Libs a new lease of life...
Edited by: "gari189" 12th Sep 2015
Bye Bye Labour, see you again in a generation or two .

Welcome "Raving Loony Party " slightly to the Left of Trotsky
Banned
gari189

think I will move to Scotland to get away from Toryland :pWho in their … think I will move to Scotland to get away from Toryland :pWho in their right minds would vote for a 70 year old scruffbag who looks like Michael Foot as their prime minister.....mind you might give the Libs a new lease of life...

Agreed, but in all seriousness, he seemed the best candidate, which is pretty damning for the labour party to say the least.
365pizza

Agreed, but in all seriousness, he seemed the best candidate, which is … Agreed, but in all seriousness, he seemed the best candidate, which is pretty damning for the labour party to say the least.

Will be interesting to see what happens. Everyone knew Milliband had no presence and was unlikely to win, everyone knows nobody will want Corbyn for pm. The man is a hypocrite - he has spent most of his political life rebelling against the party and now he will expect obedience from his fellow MPs. If the Labour Party let him lead them into the next election, they deserve everything they get.....
deleted265520
StevenBrown

I would rather give a new guy a try instead of the same old **** from … I would rather give a new guy a try instead of the same old **** from labour

At least Labour is going back to it's roots. Blairites are essentially centre left Tories
Banned
gari189

Will be interesting to see what happens. Everyone knew Milliband had no … Will be interesting to see what happens. Everyone knew Milliband had no presence and was unlikely to win, everyone knows nobody will want Corbyn for pm. The man is a hypocrite - he has spent most of his political life rebelling against the party and now he will expect obedience from his fellow MPs. If the Labour Party let him lead them into the next election, they deserve everything they get.....

Its almost like a tory plot to hit the self destruct button.
365pizza

Its almost like a tory plot to hit the self destruct button.

There will be celebrations at Tory party HQ and number 10. George Osborne and Teresa May (tipped as front runners to take over when Cameron stands down in a year or so) will be overjoyed. Looking forward to the first PM question time when Corbyn and Cameron go head to head....
The SDP will rise again.
Banned
dtovey89

At least Labour is going back to it's roots.

And unelectable.
gari189

Who in their right minds would vote for a 70 year old scruffbag who looks … Who in their right minds would vote for a 70 year old scruffbag who looks like Michael Foot as their prime minister.....mind you might give the Libs a new lease of life...

People who vote in a prime minister based on age and looks should not be voting at all because they are voting for the wrong reasons
Edited by: "StevenBrown" 12th Sep 2015
Andy@XCite

The SDP will rise again.

Was just thinking that - it is what happened the last time. Never forgotten how spitting image used to rip them to threads..
youtube.com/wat…4IE
I think Michael Foot would agree with you
StevenBrown

People who vote in a prime minister based on age and looks should not be … People who vote in a prime minister based on age and looks should not be voting at all because they are voting for the wrong reasons

If you honestly believe that a 70 year old can cope with the excessive mental demands of being prime minister as well as a 40 or 50 year old, then you know nothing about human biology or physiology.....
gari189

Was just thinking that - it is what happened the last time. Never … Was just thinking that - it is what happened the last time. Never forgotten how spitting image used to rip them to threads..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwGvgC-r4IE

I can see it happening, there has already been talk of a coup and I think the shadow minister has already resigned.

First thing I would do if I was Jeremy is to revoke Blair & Brown membership, just to rattle a few cages.
Banned
gari189

If you honestly believe that a 70 year old can cope with the excessive … If you honestly believe that a 70 year old can cope with the excessive mental demands of being prime minister as well as a 40 or 50 year old, then you know nothing about human biology or physiology.....

Human? I thought he was a dinosaur! X)
Banned
Andy@XCite

I can see it happening, there has already been talk of a coup and I think … I can see it happening, there has already been talk of a coup and I think the shadow minister has already resigned.First thing I would do if I was Jeremy is to revoke Blair & Brown membership, just to rattle a few cages.

Sounds like a great episode for Jeremy Kyle!

Two Jags will be out fistie Cuffs too!
Daily Mail not wasting any time

"'It's a f***ing disaster': Utter dismay from senior Labour MPs as they warn Corbyn will not last a year as leader - Anti-monarchy, anti-austerity and a defender of Putin, ISIS and Palestinian terrorists: The extraordinary views of Labour's VERY radical new leader"

Edited by: "jaybizzle" 12th Sep 2015
Set up nicely for the other Balls brother to come to the rescue in a few years time.
365pizza

And unelectable.

Corbyn's been an MP since 1983...so not so unelectable, me thinks.
Corbyn winning is good for democracy.

The way he won is good for democracy.

Bring on the debates with a real diversity of opinion.
How long before hes ousted
http://www.bluesarchive.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/WILDERNESSV1-350x200.jpg
Banned
komakino

If you pander and crusade to the right market anything is possible. Ask that looney Galloway.

And my unelectable reference was for a Labour government, which in case you didn't realise, he is now the party leader.
Edited by: "365pizza" 12th Sep 2015
komakino

I think you will find (as has been said before ) a Monkey with a Labour Rosette would always win in his particular constituency .
Edited by: "rogparki" 12th Sep 2015
rogparki

I think you will find (as has been said before ) a Monkey with a … I think you will find (as has been said before ) a Monkey with a Labour Rosette would always win in his particular constituency .

Here you go
http://wingsoverscotland.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/labourmonkey.jpg
How long before this is a real tweet
Fungus the Bogeyman ‏@bigstevie1967 25s26 seconds ago Scotland, United Kingdom
Breaking News - Jeremy Corbyn has resigned as a result of Jeremy Corbyn getting elected as party leader...... #labourleadership
archer1204

Here you go

That Labour candidate looks far too young to be a leadership contender (_;)
Banned
komakino

Yes...that's democratic politics. Corbyn's "market" are people who … Yes...that's democratic politics. Corbyn's "market" are people who believe in fairer society.

Strangely, I am not against democracy. But I will wager my house he will never lead the party to a majority and be the next PM. ie he will not be the democratically elected PM of the UK.
archer1204

How long before this is a real tweet Fungus the Bogeyman ‏@bigstevie1967 … How long before this is a real tweet Fungus the Bogeyman ‏@bigstevie1967 25s26 seconds ago Scotland, United KingdomBreaking News - Jeremy Corbyn has resigned as a result of Jeremy Corbyn getting elected as party leader...... #labourleadership

Standing up for what you believe in is something that certainly deserves mockery.
gari189

If you honestly believe that a 70 year old can cope with the excessive … If you honestly believe that a 70 year old can cope with the excessive mental demands of being prime minister as well as a 40 or 50 year old, then you know nothing about human biology or physiology.....

steven hawking is 73, lets not tar every over 70 with dementia just yet. The point is labour needs to change, yes corbyn might not be the guy to do it but he has certainly shown people want something to change
Edited by: "StevenBrown" 12th Sep 2015
365pizza

Strangely, I am not against democracy. But I will wager my house he will … Strangely, I am not against democracy. But I will wager my house he will never lead the party to a majority and be the next PM. ie he will not be the democratically elected PM of the UK.

Dont worry - if he ever were elected as PM you wouldn't have a house to wager . It would be confiscated and given to a "deserving immigrant "
Banned
komakino

He may never be Prime Minister but he provides an outlet for an … He may never be Prime Minister but he provides an outlet for an alternative point of view...and that's good for everyone as the best case will have to be put forward from both sides.

Are you being serious?

There are several unelectable parties who stand who know they wont have a true voice (green party for example).

Are you seriously suggesting this is successful democracy at work and actually agree we now have a one party system?

The only people who will welcome this are:

(a) Those who dont understand politics
(b) Tory Voters who want to see the demise of the 2 party system and free reign to do whatever they like
(c) SNP supporters (by virtue of being led by the Torys in Westminster and triggering another yes campaign.
(d) Friends of Corbyn who think it'll be a good giggle and a nice pay rise
(e) The looney left

Which one are you?
Original Poster Banned
365pizza

Are you being serious?There are several unelectable parties who stand who … Are you being serious?There are several unelectable parties who stand who know they wont have a true voice (green party for example). Are you seriously suggesting this is successful democracy at work and actually agree we now have a one party system?The only people who will welcome this are:(a) Those who dont understand politics(b) Tory Voters who want to see the demise of the 2 party system and free reign to do whatever they like(c) SNP supporters (by virtue of being led by the Torys in Westminster and triggering another yes campaign.(d) Friends of Corbyn who think it'll be a good giggle and a nice pay rise(e) The looney leftWhich one are you?

A pretty comprehensive list that
Banned
Lyrrad

A pretty comprehensive list that

Damn

I left off "short sighted". Thanks for that Ceres.
ceres

It's not at all good for everyone if that's the best you can say about … It's not at all good for everyone if that's the best you can say about the leader of the Labour Party at a time when the party in Government is widely reviled. Shame on the party and shame on the people who voted for him, they're so short-sighted they can't see past the ends of their self-absorbed noses.

That's your opinion. Corbyn has a clear mandate from the vast majority of the Labour membership.
365pizza

Are you being serious?There are several unelectable parties who stand who … Are you being serious?There are several unelectable parties who stand who know they wont have a true voice (green party for example). Are you seriously suggesting this is successful democracy at work and actually agree we now have a one party system?The only people who will welcome this are:(a) Those who dont understand politics(b) Tory Voters who want to see the demise of the 2 party system and free reign to do whatever they like(c) SNP supporters (by virtue of being led by the Torys in Westminster and triggering another yes campaign.(d) Friends of Corbyn who think it'll be a good giggle and a nice pay rise(e) The looney leftWhich one are you?

Ask a coherent question and I might answer it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants