Groups
    EXPIRED

Core2 duo motherboard with SLI and intel Matrix raid

Having just seen the great price for 2 7300gt's, i'm tempted to upgrade my system!

Does anyone know of any good boards with SLI support and intel matrixraid support? Matrix raid is an excellent technology - allows you to use raid-0 and raid-1 at the same time using just 2 hard disks (using multiple partitions).

I was really tempted by the ASRock 775XFire-eSATA2, but unfortunately that supports crossfire and not SLI! And its only about £55!

Thanks for your help!

13 Comments

[SIZE=2]What socket are you needing? If your upgrading are you going with core 2?[/SIZE]

Ah just read the title, lol. I will see what I can find mate but to be honest core 2 boards are still a bit thin on the ground.

I have found these but it seems that the SLI board does not support matrix, whereas the the non-sli boards do. Seems strange.

]http//ww…htm

Aha, just found somehing out, if your looking for skt 975 then I think that SLI currently will not run on this core. You will have to keep looking for a 775 board that supports SLI, but I too am finding this a difficult find.

Original Poster

Bummer, yeah, i've been having real trouble finding a suitable board...

I may have to go the crossfire route, but am i correct in thinking that crossfire requires a really expensive "master" card?

Damn, sli 7300gt's would be so sweet...

Mate I have been informed tat you will have to wait for Nvidia boards to be released as the 975 chipset does not support SLI as yet.

why would you want to go for a new core2duo chip, expensive motherboard, raid hard disks... and then stick 2 crappy 7300s in it??? just get a 7900gtx and be done with it. or better still wait for dx10 cards which are mighty close right now

Original Poster

kingkano

why would you want to go for a new core2duo chip, expensive motherboard, … why would you want to go for a new core2duo chip, expensive motherboard, raid hard disks... and then stick 2 crappy 7300s in it??? just get a 7900gtx and be done with it. or better still wait for dx10 cards which are mighty close right now

Hehe - i'd love a 7900gtx, but i haven't got £300 or however much they cost as i'm a student! A pair of SLI 7300 gt (gddr3 version stock clocked at 500/1400) are better than a single 7900gt according to some reviews, so for £120 i could have better performance than a £200+ card!

Also, core 2 duo's aren't too expensive given that their performance is better than that of e.g. AMD FX-'s which cost over £600 just a few months ago!

You make a good point about DX10 cards though, as they are coming out soon... In that case i might just buy a single 7300 gt at the moment. I wish they'd give more comparisons of new cards against older ones. I have an ATI radeon 9700 pro (256mb) in my pc at the moment, and i have no idea how much of a performance benefit i'll get by buying a 7300gt!

Original Poster

SAFC1BeerMonster

Mate I have been informed tat you will have to wait for Nvidia boards to … Mate I have been informed tat you will have to wait for Nvidia boards to be released as the 975 chipset does not support SLI as yet.

I was afraid you'd say that, as only intel boards with the ich7/8 southbridge support Intel Matrix Raid. As nvidia uses a single chip solution (i think anyway) and they don't have an equivalent to intel matrix raid, i might just have to go for non-sli instead...

qute:so for £120 i could have better performance than a £200+ card!

erm you forgot to add price of motherboard in your estimation.bringing total upto £200 plus.

wheras you could buy a 7600gt.which is almost indentical to 2 7300gt for around the £100 pound mark.

here is alink to check

techspot.com/rev…ce/

Thanks for the link betelgeus....I'm now convinced that the 7600GT is the better option.

Original Poster

betelgeus

qute:so for £120 i could have better performance than a £200+ card!erm y … qute:so for £120 i could have better performance than a £200+ card!erm you forgot to add price of motherboard in your estimation.bringing total upto £200 plus.wheras you could buy a 7600gt.which is almost indentical to 2 7300gt for around the £100 pound mark.here is alink to checkhttp://www.techspot.com/review/6-geforce_7300gt_sli_performance/

Sorry - i should have specified - i was planning on getting two gddr3 versions of the 7300GT - these are clocked at exactly the same as the 7600gt's (500/1400), so the only difference is that it has 8 pixel pipes instead of 12. The reviewed 7300gt is the gddr2 version, which is far inferior in performance (ram is clocked at 800MHz(!), core at 400MHz). A 7600gt doesn't have a chance against two gddr3 7300gt's!

Check out the review of the Inno3d gddr3 versions of the 7300GT:
    trustedreviews.com/art…d=0

You make a good point about the price of sli motherboards though - i may just save the money and go for the ASRock conroeXfire-esata2 board for £55 and buy myself an x1900GT (£150) which is a little faster than the 7900gt while being much cheaper...

as a final decider check here you can compare each and any card side by side.

www23.tomshardware.com/gra…tml

but yes the x1900gt seems to outperform the 7600gt by 50%.although it costs 50% more it seems money well spent.i went through every card going got stung with the fx series.had a 660gt,9800 pro.then decided to buy the best at time 7800gt and it was money well spent.

better to buy the best single card you can afford always go sli later.

but to be honest after the new tomb raider anyone serious into gaming i would reccomend only a 512mb card.things change so fast.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Biscuit addiction1849
      2. How to cancel Sky subscription79
      3. Rain effect window. The one from FRIENDS! Please help!55
      4. Oil for Oak Doors56

See more discussions