Corner Thermostatic Radiator Valve

Posted 16th Nov
HI,

I am wanting to add a tado thermostatic radiator valve to my bathroom towel radiator. Currently, the valve is a non thermostatic one, so I need a to buy a replacement one similar to this:
screwfix.com/p/w…368
I would then just replace their dial, with the tado unit.

However, as it is a towel radiator, I don't want the valve to stick out too much, so would prefer an angled one. Something similar to this:
amazon.co.uk/Eas…c=1

Just wondering, if there were any cheaper alternatives, and if the £10 increase is just something I will have to pay?
Many Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

25 Comments
I think your find you normally don't use a thermostatic valve in a bathroom due to the heat produced by they shower/bath
Edited by: "4Real2016" 16th Nov
4Real201616/11/2019 11:20

I think your find you normally don't use a thermostatic valve in a …I think your find you normally don't use a thermostatic valve in a bathroom due to the heat produced by they shower/bath

Ah interesting. The problem I have is that the rest of the radiators in the house have Tado thermostats. SO the rooms are usually just kept at the right temperature. Due to this, I have to either have the bathroom radiator on permanently, or off permanently. As the main heating thermostat is set to be constantly on.

Therefore I have the bathroom set to off (I could turn it on manually, but it won't warm up in time for me to shower etc), so it is freezing when I go in there in the mornings, and I think with no heating in there, it will increase the possibility of mould.

So my thought was to put a tado unit in there too, and have it to come on before we use it in the mornings, and go off maybe an hour afterwards. Just would prefer the tado unti being pointed along the width of the radiator, rather than sticking out into the bathroom.
You should be able to adjust the temp of the rad with a lockshield valve so it doesn't get to hot in the bathroom, not just have it on or off, most of the adjustment will be in the first quarter with a lockshield
4Real201616/11/2019 11:40

You should be able to adjust the temp of the rad with a lockshield valve …You should be able to adjust the temp of the rad with a lockshield valve so it doesn't get to hot in the bathroom, not just have it on or off, most of the adjustment will be in the first quarter with a lockshield

I have tried this, and I believe it is the closest radiator to the boiler, so heats up first. I can get it to heat up less. But it is just then it will be on a low heat for 24 hours a day. As the main thermostat is permanently on.
Are ok you have your heating on 24/7 , you could try a TRV, but it's possible the valve will close when you have a shower.
4Real201616/11/2019 11:20

I think your find you normally don't use a thermostatic valve in a …I think your find you normally don't use a thermostatic valve in a bathroom due to the heat produced by they shower/bath

It’s also normal to leave one radiator without a thermostat valve and normally it’s the bathroom . It ensures water can flow in the event all the thermostats are closed from what I remember.
eslick16/11/2019 12:13

It’s also normal to leave one radiator without a thermostat valve and n …It’s also normal to leave one radiator without a thermostat valve and normally it’s the bathroom . It ensures water can flow in the event all the thermostats are closed from what I remember.

Yeah this is true if there's not an automatic bypass valve on your system, it ensures theres a constant flow
How do you intend changing the valve if you get it?
eslick16/11/2019 12:13

It’s also normal to leave one radiator without a thermostat valve and n …It’s also normal to leave one radiator without a thermostat valve and normally it’s the bathroom . It ensures water can flow in the event all the thermostats are closed from what I remember.

I hadn't thought of that actually, although I do remember it somewhere else now that my mind has been jogged.

Luckily we have another radiator in the downstairs wc, which we don't use. So I want planning on fitting a tado on that one.
esar16/11/2019 12:25

How do you intend changing the valve if you get it?

I did the other radiators in the summer. Just left the bathroom one, as I didn't want the tado unit sticking out.

Turn off the system, drain the water, remove existing valve, insert new valve, turn back on, insert water. I was actually a bit worried about doing it, as I did 11 in total. But all seems to have worked fine. Thankful for youtube videos lol
Did you turn off all the radiators both ends?
Pity you can't just buy an angled trv body without the head
esar16/11/2019 12:54

Did you turn off all the radiators both ends?Pity you can't just buy an …Did you turn off all the radiators both ends?Pity you can't just buy an angled trv body without the head

I opened both ends, to ensure that all the water had drained out.

If I could get the trv body on it's own, that would be awesome. The other radiators were not so bad, as they were less than £7 each. Also, I rent, so when I leave, I can take the tado units, and just put the heads on that can with the replacement valves. So would have actually improved them from their original status I guess.

I don't mind paying the £17, would prefer it if I could get them from Screwfix though, as could collect today.
I have just seen these, can anyone confirm that they will do the trick:
screwfix.com/p/c…2gx

I will be able to post a pic of the radiator shortly
Edited by: "allsa001" 16th Nov
allsa00116/11/2019 13:02

I have just seen these, can anyone confirm that they will do the …I have just seen these, can anyone confirm that they will do the trick:https://www.screwfix.com/p/cassellie-rva015-chrome-angled-corner-trv-lockshield-15mm-x/892gx#product_additional_details_containerI will be able to post a pic of the radiator shortly

Twice the price?
allsa00116/11/2019 12:59

I opened both ends, to ensure that all the water had drained out.If I …I opened both ends, to ensure that all the water had drained out.If I could get the trv body on it's own, that would be awesome. The other radiators were not so bad, as they were less than £7 each. Also, I rent, so when I leave, I can take the tado units, and just put the heads on that can with the replacement valves. So would have actually improved them from their original status I guess.I don't mind paying the £17, would prefer it if I could get them from Screwfix though, as could collect today.

By not turning off all the rads, (only the towel rail needs to be empty) you made the job a lot longer imho, and you will have drained all the inhibitor (just remember to turn off on both sides of each radiator) unless you wanted all the rads empty for some reason
esar16/11/2019 13:10

By not turning off all the rads, (only the towel rail needs to be empty) …By not turning off all the rads, (only the towel rail needs to be empty) you made the job a lot longer imho, and you will have drained all the inhibitor (just remember to turn off on both sides of each radiator) unless you wanted all the rads empty for some reason

Ah sorry, I thought you meant when I did it last time, which was when I did each radiator.

I have not actually thought this far ahead for doing just this one radiator. Need to find the right valve first.
esar16/11/2019 13:04

Twice the price?

I don't mind spending 30 if it works, and means it is all just automatic through the tado system.
Drain the whole system if you didn't put in any inhibitor last time (to get rid of bad water)
esar16/11/2019 13:21

Drain the whole system if you didn't put in any inhibitor last time (to …Drain the whole system if you didn't put in any inhibitor last time (to get rid of bad water)

Yeah, I think that is a good idea. Also, I am familiar with that from last time.

Here are the pics of the radiator:
39003441-hOD9K.jpgValve 1 (I believe to be the inlet valve)

39003441-4VIJ9.jpgValve 2 (I believe to be outlet valve) - could defo do with being replaced

39003441-h70gh.jpg
Actual rad

I don't think the screwfix ones I posted are the right ones. I think I need something more like this:
victorianplumbing.co.uk/fro….ds

Or would the screwfix ones be ok:
screwfix.com/p/c…2gx

Jus twould prefer something I could pick up today, and hopefully for a bit cheaper, without an expensive looking dial, as I will be removing that part.
Edited by: "allsa001" 16th Nov
Looks ok if you put the trv on the left, it'll be facing inwards
esar16/11/2019 13:36

Looks ok if you put the trv on the left, it'll be facing inwards

Cheers, do you think the Screwfix one will be ok?
Just a thought, if you rent should you be changing radiator valves, draining the system down etc?
JimboParrot16/11/2019 14:00

Just a thought, if you rent should you be changing radiator valves, …Just a thought, if you rent should you be changing radiator valves, draining the system down etc?

Erm, I kept all of the old parts, so if I am requested to put them back I can. Just wanted to have a better, more efficient and cheaper central heating sytem. I am now getting much bigger savings on my gas bills. It is something I did think long about. If they want me to put it back when we are leaving, I will. If they want me to leave the TVR's as make it better, I will.
The same TRV is £5 cheaper at Toolstation, it should work fine.
allsa00116/11/2019 13:38

Cheers, do you think the Screwfix one will be ok?

I do, but make sure it's going the way you want, you'll see threaded side goes into rad and you use existing nut and olive on other end, do a dry run so to speak
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants