Coronavirus and furlough: what this means for you.

Deal editor115
Posted 20th Apr
Update 1
According to the BBC - the furlough scheme will be extended by four months, up to October.

Read more here: bbc.co.uk/new…759
Since we’ve been in lockdown, many businesses have needed to close. Most of those within the service industry like restaurants and pubs, retail workers, and most in manufacturing have been unable to work and have been placed on furlough. So how do you get paid?

The furlough scheme was created in the hopes of protecting both workers and the UK economy as the lockdown prevents life and work as normal.

When the scheme was announced earlier in the lockdown, people were unsure and rightly worried about how it would work for their jobs and businesses. The Job Retention Scheme is thankfully now available for all businesses to apply for help to secure funds for furloughed workers.

What is the Job Retention Scheme?

It was announced last month by chancellor Rishi Sunak in an effort to curb mass redundancies caused by the COVID-19 lockdown, and protect the economy in the long term. It covers the bulk of wages and salaries due to staff placed on leave (furloughed).

It was estimated by the Office for Budget Responsibility to cost the government £42 billion, but that estimate was given before the scheme’s extension to the end of June, so it will now be considerably higher.

How do you claim?

Only employers can claim, not employees. Business owners can start the process via the HM Revenue & Customs portal here: gov.uk/gui…eme

How does it work?

• Businesses can claim 80% of an employee’s monthly salary, up to a maximum of £2,500 per month.
  • The sum secured has to be passed on in full by the employer to the employee. The employer can also top up that wage if able or willing to do so.
  • It will be taxed in the usual way for the relevant amount.
  • The scheme also covers National Insurance and pension contributions.
  • Employment rights, such as sick and holiday pay, remain in place as normal.

Employers can only claim for employees that were on the company’s payroll on or before 19 March, and only those placed on furlough (not working) are eligible. Anyone who started employment after 28 February 2020 or has been made redundant since that date are not entitled to payment.

When will you get the money?

Most importantly, it should be available to your employer very quickly. According to Sky News, “it will take up to six working days to process a claim and pay the money to a company's bank account.”

This means there should be time to spare if an employer's pay day is at the end of the month.

Thankfully, HMRC has 5,000 staff working solely on the project, not only to support applicants but also detect any fraud. HMRC staff have been testing the new claim system at volumes of 450,000 users per hour.

Phone and web chat support is available, but claimants are being advised to use these services sparingly. Patience is key at this time.

Read more:

Community Updates

Groups

Top comments
I can’t wait to finally get paid...last time a monthly wage was processed into my account was 29th feb...it’s been a long worrying stressful 2 months but seems to be light at the end of the tunnel now....hopefully all us furloughed from employment won’t need to wait longer than the end of the month..stay safe everyone(y)
All. Your employers should be paying you as normal. It’s not you making the claim from the government it’s them!

Your weekly, bi-weekly or monthly wage should be paid as normal!
Hope the Government pulls through and you guys who are furloughed get paid without issue.
115 Comments
I can’t wait to finally get paid...last time a monthly wage was processed into my account was 29th feb...it’s been a long worrying stressful 2 months but seems to be light at the end of the tunnel now....hopefully all us furloughed from employment won’t need to wait longer than the end of the month..stay safe everyone(y)
Mich8ll820/04/2020 12:40

I can’t wait to finally get paid...last time a monthly wage was processed i …I can’t wait to finally get paid...last time a monthly wage was processed into my account was 29th feb...it’s been a long worrying stressful 2 months but seems to be light at the end of the tunnel now....hopefully all us furloughed from employment won’t need to wait longer than the end of the month..stay safe everyone(y)

According to the Gov, everyone should be paid within normal payroll times. I hope they can deliver.
My company refused due to me being on longterm sick. They said because I was sick before the pandemic hit im not eligible for furlong
Glad this is finally up, could have got through another 2 months or so without being paid but just for peace of mind I would like this to be up and running and getting paid (even if it is 80% of my wage).
B0ne520/04/2020 12:52

My company refused due to me being on longterm sick. They said because I …My company refused due to me being on longterm sick. They said because I was sick before the pandemic hit im not eligible for furlong

As long as they are paying your SSP. I would look into that further if you can, as it doesn't sound correct.
Does this count for overtime also? I have herd from a few people that they believe you get a average of overtime from last few months, does anyone know ?
Akira_Cat20/04/2020 12:47

According to the Gov, everyone should be paid within normal payroll times. …According to the Gov, everyone should be paid within normal payroll times. I hope they can deliver.

Fingers crossed...I think if there’s any issues it will be down to the employers if they drag their heels to upload employees paye as according to hrmc once this is done on the portal...money should then be in employers account within 6 working days to then pay employees...hopefully the portal being used will deliver and no issue’s with it being a new system(y)
My support ran out this month. Now going forward I'm on ssp. I had a stroke in Jan so no going back to work for me until I'm 100%.
Hope the Government pulls through and you guys who are furloughed get paid without issue.

My company refused due to me being on longterm sick. They said because I …My company refused due to me being on longterm sick. They said because I was sick before the pandemic hit im not eligible for furlong

Try asking Martin Lewis on twitter
jason_turvey20/04/2020 12:57

Does this count for overtime also? I have herd from a few people that they …Does this count for overtime also? I have herd from a few people that they believe you get a average of overtime from last few months, does anyone know ?

I'd be really surprised if they gave you more than your base salary

If you come off sick pay then your employer could furlough you but I suppose it’s at employers discretion and depends on what kind of employer you have as I have read a lot of horror stories on how people that could be entitled to furlough but employers won’t budge and do it and it’s sad to hear that employers would withhold doing it especially when the world is going through a pandemic which is worrying enough but then to withhold on people’s livelihoods is disgusting(mad)
I am so confused about this furlough malarky!

My situation is/was, I was employed on the 29th Feb 2020 but this was my last day with the previous employer, then on 16th March I started with a new employer to which they have furloughed me. Do i qualify?

Does this count for overtime also? I have herd from a few people that they …Does this count for overtime also? I have herd from a few people that they believe you get a average of overtime from last few months, does anyone know ?

As far as I’m lead to believe it’s only 80% of basic salary up to £2500 but if you go on Martin Lewis website he’s the man with the answers to everyone’s questions(y)
All. Your employers should be paying you as normal. It’s not you making the claim from the government it’s them!

Your weekly, bi-weekly or monthly wage should be paid as normal!
darren.alger20/04/2020 13:02

I am so confused about this furlough malarky! My situation is/was, I was …I am so confused about this furlough malarky! My situation is/was, I was employed on the 29th Feb 2020 but this was my last day with the previous employer, then on 16th March I started with a new employer to which they have furloughed me. Do i qualify?

Yes you qualify as the rules were changed last week anyone who was employed until 19th March can be put on furlough even if you have switched jobs and aslong as your new employer has you on the payroll with paye you will receive your furlough pay...hope this helps(y)
darren.alger20/04/2020 13:02

I am so confused about this furlough malarky! My situation is/was, I was …I am so confused about this furlough malarky! My situation is/was, I was employed on the 29th Feb 2020 but this was my last day with the previous employer, then on 16th March I started with a new employer to which they have furloughed me. Do i qualify?

No, not through your new employer. You could ask your old employer to “re-employ” you though.
shtivshtiv20/04/2020 13:01

I'd be really surprised if they gave you more than your base salary

For irregular hours or pay. It’s based on the higher of an average of 2019/20’s annual wage (with your employer) or the same month in the previous year.

Bonuses are not included. That’s quite clear on HMRC’s website.
Edited by: "Hill5538" 20th Apr

As I understand it does include overtime. Have a look at gov.uk/gui…eme

According to this:
If the employee has been employed continuously from the start of the 2019 to 2020 tax year, you can claim the highest of either:

• 80% of the same month’s wages from the previous year (up to a maximum of £2,500 a month)
  • 80% of the average monthly wages for the 2019 to 2020 tax year (up to a maximum of £2,500 a month)
Edited by: "Money_Saving_Mum" 20th Apr
I am self employed and will have to wait till end of June and fill out forms , then wait for them to pay me , I worked out I should get at least £5K back , but its a long time to wait .
I have just done my tax return and due a nice little return which goes in my bank this week .
So if you are self employed I advise you to get your tax return in and if you have expenses like most of the building industry has you will get cash back and not have to wait till end of June/July.
Mich8ll820/04/2020 13:01

If you come off sick pay then your employer could furlough you but I …If you come off sick pay then your employer could furlough you but I suppose it’s at employers discretion and depends on what kind of employer you have as I have read a lot of horror stories on how people that could be entitled to furlough but employers won’t budge and do it and it’s sad to hear that employers would withhold doing it especially when the world is going through a pandemic which is worrying enough but then to withhold on people’s livelihoods is disgusting(mad)

Makes you realise what employers are not great to work for. The entirety up to £2,500 of a gross payment, plus employers national insurance contribution PLUS basic pension contribution is covered. There really is no reason for ANY employer not to pay someone furlough. It’s the government paying it, not the employer!!!
Hill553820/04/2020 13:06

All. Your employers should be paying you as normal. It’s not you making t …All. Your employers should be paying you as normal. It’s not you making the claim from the government it’s them! Your weekly, bi-weekly or monthly wage should be paid as normal!

I do know this but my friend who is also my employer didn’t have enough funds to payout and has been waiting on a grant from the council which was accepted but as usual dragging their heels paying out the grants which would have covered all wages in March so if grant isn’t paid in time...my 100% wage and 80% wage will be being paid at the sametime and I’m not fussed either way as I know all monies owed will be in my account in next 2 weeks if everything goes to plan(y)
Makes me feel glad to still be working full time in manufacturing
Cut n paste..

If the employee has been employed for 12 months or more, you can claim the highest of either the:

·same month’s earning from the previous year

·average monthly earnings for the 2019-2020 tax year

·If the employee has been employed for less than 12 months, claim for 80% of their average monthly earnings since they started work until the date they are furloughed.

Overtime is now factored in, it should be worked out on your last month's payroll (19 March).
Mich8ll820/04/2020 13:01

If you come off sick pay then your employer could furlough you but I …If you come off sick pay then your employer could furlough you but I suppose it’s at employers discretion and depends on what kind of employer you have as I have read a lot of horror stories on how people that could be entitled to furlough but employers won’t budge and do it and it’s sad to hear that employers would withhold doing it especially when the world is going through a pandemic which is worrying enough but then to withhold on people’s livelihoods is disgusting(mad)

My doctors won't sign me off sick. I just spoke to my hr office. They said the government have told them they can't furlough anyone on sick. That was sick before the pandemic hit. I said it says on the gov.uk site you can if the employee is getting ssp. I'm going to get a call back later with a decision.
Used this scheme already and get my wages really quickly. Highly recommended!
Hill553820/04/2020 13:10

Makes you realise what employers are not great to work for. The entirety …Makes you realise what employers are not great to work for. The entirety up to £2,500 of a gross payment, plus employers national insurance contribution PLUS basic pension contribution is covered. There really is no reason for ANY employer not to pay someone furlough. It’s the government paying it, not the employer!!!

Totally agree with you...I am lucky to have been furloughed but my heart goes out to the people who have not been furloughed even though their employer could’ve done it and now they’ve been left destitute and probably had to end up claiming benefits or ssp instead...the saying is so true with some companies...your just a number in their workplace and don’t give a damn when making decisions which can turn a person/families financial situation into despair(mad)
The trouble is it is down to the employer to process this. I have four different employers on 0 hours contacts and none of them can be bothered to furlough us for this. I've lost about 11k of projected income this year, being a seasonal worker. If the employer says 'no' it doesn't appear that there is much we can do.
B0ne520/04/2020 13:16

My doctors won't sign me off sick. I just spoke to my hr office. They said …My doctors won't sign me off sick. I just spoke to my hr office. They said the government have told them they can't furlough anyone on sick. That was sick before the pandemic hit. I said it says on the gov.uk site you can if the employee is getting ssp. I'm going to get a call back later with a decision.

I hope the decision goes in your favour...too many employers are giving out the wrong info to their employee’s when making decisions on furlough as they don’t seem to have took the time to find out on the info needed to furlough staff which can be infuriating for people like yourself...good luck and I hope the decision made is in your favour(y)
BioShock20/04/2020 13:12

Cut n paste..

And you couldn't even be bothered to type out and in full
Mich8ll820/04/2020 13:07

Yes you qualify as the rules were changed last week anyone who was …Yes you qualify as the rules were changed last week anyone who was employed until 19th March can be put on furlough even if you have switched jobs and aslong as your new employer has you on the payroll with paye you will receive your furlough pay...hope this helps(y)

No you had to have been notified to HMRC on an RTI by 19th.
Anyone got any idea how the nursery industry is affected been reading a few things saying that they aren't covered bu it after initially being covered?
As an agency worker, I left my workplace due to them not implementing social distancing and coming from a family of asthmatics who has a bigger risk of it being serious for, I didn’t want to take the risk. So I have no income at all till I feel comfortable getting back out since I have some savings and don’t qualify for any income support (Other than universal credit IF I am actively looking for a job) hope a vaccine comes soon...
When do those of us with LTD companies get our dosh ? ... I got some discounted West Texas crude to buy !
Edited by: "cyril69" 20th Apr
Mich8ll820/04/2020 12:40

I can’t wait to finally get paid...last time a monthly wage was processed i …I can’t wait to finally get paid...last time a monthly wage was processed into my account was 29th feb...it’s been a long worrying stressful 2 months but seems to be light at the end of the tunnel now....hopefully all us furloughed from employment won’t need to wait longer than the end of the month..stay safe everyone(y)

Why haven't you been paid if you're furloughed? Your employer should have run your March payroll as normal (albeit with lower wages if they didn't want to top up), assuming that you're on PAYE. The CJRS is something that your employer can claim back, but they should still have paid you as normal. If they didn't then that sounds dodgy to me!

I paid my employees as normal on 31st March. The guidance back then was very fuzzy, and it wasn't at all clear to us exactly how much we would be able to claim back. But we had to just run the payroll anyway, and run the risk that perhaps we'd lose out on a few % of our PAYE outlay.

As it turns out, that's what has happened, so we're topping up a bit more than we expected. But it's not a huge amount.
Edited by: "edanfalls" 20th Apr
edanfalls20/04/2020 13:42

Why haven't you been paid if you're furloughed? Your employer should have …Why haven't you been paid if you're furloughed? Your employer should have run your March payroll as normal (albeit with lower wages if they didn't want to top up), assuming that you're on PAYE. The CJRS is something that your employer can claim back, but they should still have paid you as normal. If they didn't then that sounds dodgy to me!I paid my employees as normal on 31st March. The guidance back then was very fuzzy, and it wasn't at all clear to us exactly how much we would be able to claim back. But we had to just run the payroll anyway, and run the risk that perhaps we'd lose out on a few % of our PAYE outlay.As it turns out, that's what has happened, so we're topping up a bit more than we expected. But it's not a huge amount.

Mich8ll820/04/2020 13:11

I do know this but my friend who is also my employer didn’t have enough f …I do know this but my friend who is also my employer didn’t have enough funds to payout and has been waiting on a grant from the council which was accepted but as usual dragging their heels paying out the grants which would have covered all wages in March so if grant isn’t paid in time...my 100% wage and 80% wage will be being paid at the sametime and I’m not fussed either way as I know all monies owed will be in my account in next 2 weeks if everything goes to plan(y)

• The position in relation to sick leave and furlough remains unclear. The updated guidance still states that sick employees can be furloughed, so there continues to be an inconsistency with the Treasury Direction, which indicates that it isn’t possible to put someone on furlough until their SSP has ended.
Tom_kop20/04/2020 13:28

Anyone got any idea how the nursery industry is affected been reading a …Anyone got any idea how the nursery industry is affected been reading a few things saying that they aren't covered bu it after initially being covered?

I would assume if the nursery you work in has had to close then it would be at your employers discretion to put any employees onto the furlough scheme but if the nursery is still opened then they don’t have to.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions