Coronavirus Antibody Test at home...

Posted 22nd May
Just got a mail about this, £59 for a Coronavirus Antibody Test from Thiva If you can afford it, want one and don't want to hit up the NHS it might be an option?

From Thriva...

home finger-prick blood test can detect coronavirus antibodies 21 days after your symptoms started. This test can tell you if you’ve had COVID-19 in the past. It can’t tell you if you currently have COVID-19.

Why we're offering thisTesting will play a crucial part in the fight against coronavirus, and we want to help in any way that we can. Particularly to help ease the burden on the NHS and provide people with an accurate test that can tell them if they’ve had coronavirus.

Key information
  • We are using the Abbott test, which has been approved by Public Health England (PHE).
  • Research from our partner lab (Eurofins County Pathology) shows 98.5% sensitivity and 99.5% specificity on finger-prick samples.
  • You need to wait 21 days after your symptoms started to do your test. Don’t do this test if you currently have symptoms.
  • This test won’t tell you if you’re immune to coronavirus. It's a new virus, and we don’t know how long these antibodies stay in your system.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

10 Comments
Think it's the same sort of test boots are selling.

But at the cost, I think it's rather expensive to tell you if that fever you had 3 weeks ago was covid or not.
Regarding it will or will not play a crucial part in the fight against coronavirus? At £59, single purchases, it will not ; at <£10, it could well be, when bulk delivered in the post by a government agency.
Beside, the question of whether anitibodies protects you. I am sure PHE is on the case for anti-bodies immunity research. Any volunteers with antibodies wanting to put themselves forward in this study?

E.g. All PHE need to do is to get 1,000 volunteers across an age spectrum from 10 - 80, who have antibodies, then blow coronavirus all over them for 10 mins each day for 5 days, then see how many of them catch different strains of mutated coronavirus again. Hopefully, this should be zero, then anti-bodies test is worth the money. If 5 died, then these antibodies tests could be useless.
Edited by: "splender" 22nd May
Superdrug have just released their version of this but it's £69.
splender22/05/2020 12:39

Beside, the question of whether anitibodies protects you. I am sure PHE is …Beside, the question of whether anitibodies protects you. I am sure PHE is on the case for anti-bodies immunity research. Any volunteers with antibodies wanting to put themselves forward in this study?E.g. All PHE need to do is to get 1,000 volunteers across an age spectrum from 10 - 80, who have antibodies, then blow coronavirus all over them for 10 mins each day for 5 days, then see how many of them catch different strains of mutated coronavirus again. Hopefully, this should be zero, then anti-bodies test is worth the money. If 5 died, then these antibodies tests could be useless.

Even if they were all fine, you'd need to run those tests again every few months to see if immunity lasts.

Oh, and hope there's no mutation.
eayragt22/05/2020 12:49

Even if they were all fine, you'd need to run those tests again every few …Even if they were all fine, you'd need to run those tests again every few months to see if immunity lasts.Oh, and hope there's no mutation.

And whether you need further boost of anti-bodies by another or more infections!

Viruses mutate fast, that's a fact, seasonal flu mutates fast, that's why they name it seasonal. ( Covid-19 does this one every two months)! Whether mutate to more dangerous or less dangerous is unknown, there are three groups of mutations; A, B,C.

bbc.co.uk/new…955
I wouldn’t bother - the public have been warned about these tests....
bbc.co.uk/new…112
I used a company called Qured for one of these at £99. Got a positive result and it does ease my mind a bit. Nothing is proved yet regarding immunity. But should know more soon, and usually you get some immunity.
The Abbott test is neither designed for home use and it's meant for blood drawn directly from a vein, not a finger.

Done properly it's 100% sensitivity and 97%+ specificity but I'd imagine the risk of contamination completely messes with those accuracy figures.
kos1c22/05/2020 12:09

Think it's the same sort of test boots are selling. But at the cost, I …Think it's the same sort of test boots are selling. But at the cost, I think it's rather expensive to tell you if that fever you had 3 weeks ago was covid or not.

Couldn't agree more. Besides, what's the point? Pop down to any beach on bank holiday Monday the length and breadth of the UK and every idiot will be behaving like it's over anyway - so it is right?
Edited by: "AgentDaleCooper" 24th May
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions