Coronavirus Bank Scammers :(

Posted 24th MarEdited by:"Kidmonkey"
Hi,

Just passing on a bit of info.

Both my sister and one of my brothers received a call last night from someone claiming to be from the fraud dept. of their bank.

They could confirm their surnames, last four digits of their bank account number and their mobile number (which they claimed was the only one they had on record that worked as the landline they had didn't work).

They explained that three large amounts of money we're about to be taken from their account by a company in Dubai and to prevent this they had opened a new account for them and needed them to authorise the transaction to the new account over the phone and that bank cards and a cheque book would be delivered by courier first thing in the morning.

The number on their mobile was the same number as the one on the back of their bank card (think about it, have you ever had a call from a local number from someone trying to get you to make a claim for a crash or accident? I get them all the time).

Luckily, both refused to do it but asked for a call back - during this time they called me and I told them it was a scam and to call the real fraud team using the number on their bank website using their landline if they wanted to be 100% sure...

Turns out, when the scammers did callback and were told they knew it was a scam the person on the phone then tried to tell them that they should do it as they risk losing all their money and will struggle to make it through the Coronavirus crisis!!!

They're obviously trying to use this to scare people, so if you're aware of anyone vulnerable then you might want to mention this as the above scenario will NEVER be genuine.

Take care everyone.
Community Updates
Misc
3 Comments
Thanks for the heads up
The number was definitely spoofed, concerning they confirmed all of that personal information which means they were involved in a data breach somewhere.

This scam has been ongoing for many years, transfer into a 'safe' bank account.
Edited by: "jamie15" 24th Mar
jamie1524/03/2020 14:31

The number was definitely spoofed, concerning they confirmed all of that …The number was definitely spoofed, concerning they confirmed all of that personal information which means they were involved in a data breach somewhere.This scam has been ongoing for many years, transfer into a 'safe' bank account.

Yeah, they also said they wouldn't be able to speak to the bank as all staff is unavailable due to the Coronavirus crisis too...

I recognised it immediately, but they didn't and they're not stupid or what you'd call old (my sis is 58 and my brother is 54). They don't live together or anything and the only thing which seems to link them is that they both bank with Yorkshire Bank.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants