Coronavirus: EasyJet grounds all flights due to COVID-19 pandemic

Posted 30th Mar
Community Updates
Lead deal editor
EasyJet has grounded its entire fleet of aircraft due to the coronavirus pandemic, the airline said.

The airline said this was done in the wake of "unprecedented" travel restrictions, while adding it was unclear when its commercial flights would resume.

EasyJet said in a statement: “As a result of the unprecedented travel restrictions imposed by governments in response to the coronavirus pandemic and the implementation of national lockdowns across many European countries, easyJet has, today, fully grounded its entire fleet of aircraft."

It added that repatriation or "rescue" flights may continue if requested, adding: “Over recent days easyJet has been helping to repatriate customers, having operated more than 650 rescue flights to date, returning home more than 45,000 customers. The last of these rescue flights were operated on Sunday March 29. We will continue to work with government bodies to operate additional rescue flights as requested."

On normality resuming, it added that this was unclear.

“At this stage there can be no certainty of the date for restarting commercial flights. We will continuously evaluate the situation based on regulations and demand, and will update the market when we have a view," the statement said.

The company has worked with union Unite to agree two-month furlough arrangements for cabin crew.

This means that crew will be paid 80 per cent of their average pay through the Government job retention scheme.

It insisted it “maintains a strong balance sheet” and revealed it is in “ongoing discussions with liquidity providers”.

Source
Misc

Groups

Top comments
When you
Dan_8230/03/2020 07:43

Also Virgin were rumoured to be enquiring about a bailout.

I think that's just Virgin Atlantic there are various other Virgin airline companies.

They wont get bail out and have been told to seek out there share holders who happen to be AirFrance KLM and Delta! Virgin group only have a 20% stake. Both Delta and AF/KLM will get money from there governments which should be pumped across all there business investments!

People get a bit patriotic about Virgin Atlantic being a British brand etc. but really it isn't anymore.
Edited by: "groenleader" 30th Mar
21 Comments
First of many i think
Dan_8230/03/2020 07:38

First of many i think

I think you're right, but I guess it's got to be pretty hard to be making any kind of profit at the moment and it does come across as the responsible thing to do as well. Let's see how Ryanair react.
OllieSt30/03/2020 07:40

I think you're right, but I guess it's got to be pretty hard to be making …I think you're right, but I guess it's got to be pretty hard to be making any kind of profit at the moment and it does come across as the responsible thing to do as well. Let's see how Ryanair react.

Edited by: "Dan_82" 30th Mar

I think when we come out of this the other end things will be very different. I can easily imagine that we will see the demise of cheap air travel and we could revert back to the days where flying around the world will be on a much smaller scale. Just my thoughts, and I may be completely wrong
When you

I think that's just Virgin Atlantic there are various other Virgin airline companies.

They wont get bail out and have been told to seek out there share holders who happen to be AirFrance KLM and Delta! Virgin group only have a 20% stake. Both Delta and AF/KLM will get money from there governments which should be pumped across all there business investments!

People get a bit patriotic about Virgin Atlantic being a British brand etc. but really it isn't anymore.
groenleader30/03/2020 10:35

When you I think that's just Virgin Atlantic there are various other …When you I think that's just Virgin Atlantic there are various other Virgin airline companies. They wont get bail out and have been told to seek out there share holders who happen to be AirFrance KLM and Delta! Virgin group only have a 20% stake. Both Delta and AF/KLM will get money from there governments which should be pumped across all there business investments!People get a bit patriotic about Virgin Atlantic being a British brand etc. but really it isn't anymore.

Yup, Virgin Atlantic - apologies
Dan_8230/03/2020 07:38

First of many i think

What is missing is this public statement, when they ground their operations, "Our planes are available to the Foreign Office, the returnees, should they want to hire them to rescue the stranded British overseas back home."
Edited by: "splender" 30th Mar
groenleader30/03/2020 10:35

People get a bit patriotic about Virgin Atlantic being a British brand …People get a bit patriotic about Virgin Atlantic being a British brand etc. but really it isn't anymore.

This is true and I personally feel no affinity or British consumer loyalty to them either.

Several years ago I was scheduled to fly from Tokyo to Heathrow with Virgin Atlantic. A few weeks in advance they cancelled my flight due to low passenger numbers and bumped me with using a Japanese airline instead, departing at a much less sociable time of the day and from a different airport. There was no prior communication either. I only realised because the departure airport code on the itinerary changed.
Shameful how Easyjet have now removed the refund option on their website for cancelled flights. Still taking bookings for flights in April/ May that won’t be fulfilled.
Edited by: "captainbeaky" 30th Mar
captainbeaky30/03/2020 11:22

Shameful how Easyjet have now removed the refund option on their website …Shameful how Easyjet have now removed the refund option on their website for cancelled flights. Still taking bookings for flights in April/ May that won’t be fulfilled.

I doubt most routes will be fulfilled by the September.

Add on the economic situation that the economy has not been active for a few months and your employer now needs to pay you and the government wont help, I don't doubt many will be thinking about booking a break! Dreaming of it I am sure.
Will I get a refund automatically now, on a flight in April?
Anyone using the adjective "unprecedented" is probably wrong, it a pandemic or an epidermic, all managerial actions are precedented or preceded by lessons taught at college, examined in exams and then global and international experiences acquired during work and precedents are shared in teams in team working in joining the dots.
BowtunWarrior30/03/2020 12:28

Will I get a refund automatically now, on a flight in April?

No, if you can’t already do it, EasyJet will send you an email confirming your flight has been cancelled and will offer you either a voucher or change to another date option. However, I managed a third option in asking for a complete refund in full - by following this instruction

The quickest way for customers with cancelled flights to manage the disruption to booked flights is by visiting the EasyJet website, signing in with your booking details and then selecting ‘manage disruption’ in the Manage Bookings part of the site. Here you should be able to rebook your flight, apply from an e-voucher or ask for a full refund.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 30th Mar
Toptrumpet30/03/2020 13:12

No, if you can’t already do it, EasyJet will send you an email confirming y …No, if you can’t already do it, EasyJet will send you an email confirming your flight has been cancelled and will offer you either a voucher or change to another date option. However, I managed a third option in asking for a complete refund in full - by following this instructionThe quickest way for customers with cancelled flights to manage the disruption to booked flights is by visiting the EasyJet website, signing in with your booking details and then selecting ‘manage disruption’ in the Manage Bookings part of the site. Here you should be able to rebook your flight, apply from an e-voucher or ask for a full refund.

Thank you
Why was this not done weeks and weeks ago ?
Toptrumpet30/03/2020 13:12

No, if you can’t already do it, EasyJet will send you an email confirming y …No, if you can’t already do it, EasyJet will send you an email confirming your flight has been cancelled and will offer you either a voucher or change to another date option. However, I managed a third option in asking for a complete refund in full - by following this instructionThe quickest way for customers with cancelled flights to manage the disruption to booked flights is by visiting the EasyJet website, signing in with your booking details and then selecting ‘manage disruption’ in the Manage Bookings part of the site. Here you should be able to rebook your flight, apply from an e-voucher or ask for a full refund.

Anyone know what dates they are allowing this for? Got flights to Copenhagen in May
gingertips31/03/2020 21:12

Anyone know what dates they are allowing this for? Got flights to …Anyone know what dates they are allowing this for? Got flights to Copenhagen in May

From memory, I think EasyJet confirmed the flight was cancelled about 48-72 hours before the flight date. They really stressed the voucher or change to a different date option, but searching through found that there was a 3rd option of a refund. This was around the 15th March (due to fly to Spain 17th March), so I might’ve been in the first wave of communications and now, some weeks on, EasyJet’s policy may have changed. Personally, I would hold out and wait for EasyJet to contact you to confirm the flight cancellation and go from there. If you wanted a voucher or date amendment then you can probably do this now via manage my bookings.
Toptrumpet01/04/2020 09:59

From memory, I think EasyJet confirmed the flight was cancelled about …From memory, I think EasyJet confirmed the flight was cancelled about 48-72 hours before the flight date. They really stressed the voucher or change to a different date option, but searching through found that there was a 3rd option of a refund. This was around the 15th March (due to fly to Spain 17th March), so I might’ve been in the first wave of communications and now, some weeks on, EasyJet’s policy may have changed. Personally, I would hold out and wait for EasyJet to contact you to confirm the flight cancellation and go from there. If you wanted a voucher or date amendment then you can probably do this now via manage my bookings.

They’ve removed the refund option stating you must call customer services

That’s virtually ImPossible so they’ll hold onto your money as long as they can while trying to blag you into accepting a change or voucher
Manage to get hold of santander asked them to use section 75, they said I have to provide proof of contacting easyjet I said I can send you my call log and emails, they said no I need to send another email and give easyjet 28 days notice and than call them as my claim might be rejected, has something changed with section 75 or banks are being difficult intentionally.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions