Coronavirus in the UK - updated 10 March 2020

Deal editor152
Posted 27th Feb
Update 1
Please check out these two websites for updated information and the number of coronavirus cases, globally.

who.int/eme…ts/
ncov2019.live/
The COVID-19 coronavirus is spreading across Europe, and UK Chief Medical Officers have raised the risk level from low to moderate, which allows the government to plan for all eventualities.

Coronavirus is a new disease and as such scientists are still assessing just how it transmits between people, but there are similar viruses already in existence and they spread through coughing and sneezing.

It must be said that viruses like coronavirus don't survive outside the body for very long, so it is unlikely it will be transferred via packages or food. The WHO suggests that while it is not known how long COVID-19 can live on hard surfaces, it isn't thought to be more than a couple of days.

If you are worried it is on a surface, simply disinfect the surface and wash your hands afterwards.

The following advice is from Gov.uk website, on the coronavirus:

"Stay indoors and avoid contact with other people if you’ve travelled to the UK from the following places in the last 14 days, even if you do not have symptoms:

• Iran
  • Hubei province in China
  • Special care zones in South Korea (Daegu, Cheongdo, Gyeongsan)
Stay indoors and avoid contact with other people if you’ve travelled to the UK from the following places, even if you do not have symptoms:

• Italy (since 09 March)
Stay indoors and avoid contact with other people if you’ve travelled to the UK from the following places in the last 14 days and have a cough, high temperature or shortness of breath, even if your symptoms are mild:

• mainland China outside of Hubei province
  • South Korea outside of the special care zones
  • Cambodia
  • Hong Kong
  • Japan
  • Laos
  • Macau
  • Malaysia
  • Myanmar
  • Singapore
  • Taiwan
  • Thailand
  • Vietnam
Use the 111 online coronavirus service to find out what to do next.

Do not go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital.

In Scotland call your GP or NHS 24 on 111 out of hours.

In Wales call 111 (if available in your area) or 0845 46 47.

This guidance is based on the recommendations of the UK Chief Medical Officers. These areas have been identified because of the volume of air travel from affected areas, understanding of other travel routes and number of reported cases. This list will be kept under review."

How to protect yourself

The World Health Organization suggests people take a few simple precautions against coronavirus, to help reduce exposure and transmission from person to person.

• Firstly, if you have visited any of the areas listed above you should stay at home — even if the symptoms are mild, such as headache and slight runny nose — until you recover. Avoid contact with others and don’t visit a medical facility unless symptoms are severe. This will allow these facilities to operate more effectively and help protect you and others from possible exposure to COVID-19.
  • If you develop a fever, cough and/or have difficulty breathing, seek medical advice promptly as this may be due to a respiratory infection or another serious condition. Make sure to call in advance and tell your provider of any recent travel or contact with travellers.
  • The virus is spread via droplets of saliva or mucus from an infected person’s sneeze or cough, so be aware of those around you. These droplets can fall around the person with the virus, and it is suggested you allow for a personal space of one metre in all situations. Obviously, if you get on crowded buses, trains or underground systems, this may be affected so clean your hands thoroughly after using public transport. Wash the front and back of the hands, and between the fingers — it is suggested you do this for this more than 30 seconds.

3413919.jpg
  • Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue if you have to cough or sneeze, then throw the tissue in the bin and wash your hands. If you do not have a tissue to hand, cough or sneeze into the crook of your elbow rather than your hands. This will prevent your saliva from being in the air.
  • Face masks offer little protection and only from liquid droplets, as smaller airborne particles may pass through material. Masks also leave the eyes exposed, which could be another vessel into the body.
  • Use antibacterial hand cleanser that contains over 70% alcohol after washing your hands with soap and water, dispose of tissues straight into a bin, and avoid crowded areas where possible. You can find alcohol-based antibacterial hand gels in any supermarket or pharmacy, which work alongside washing your hands with soap.

3413919.jpg
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth where possible, as our hands touch many surfaces and can pick up bacteria and viruses. If contaminated, your hands can transfer the virus to your or another’s eyes, nose or mouth, then enter your body, which could make you sick.
  • Use common sense if you show symptoms — don’t use an Uber, don’t go into your busy office, just stay at home and treat it much like you would a bad cold. And don’t forget to keep abreast of the news regarding the virus in your local area.

All the information above was found on the following information sites, please read through for more detail:

Community Updates
Lead deal editor
Coronavirus: Supermarkets ration hand sanitisers, soap & pasta to halt panic buying

Tesco: Five-item limit on a number of items including pasta, anti-bacterial wipes, gels and sprays, and long-life milk. Started online on Sunday morning and in stores on Saturday afternoon.

Waitrose: Only online at the moment, and only includes restrictions on certain anti-bacterial soaps and wipes.

Morrisons: No restrictions on any items at the moment.

Aldi: Has not yet responded, but ant-bacterial hand gel is not available online.

Asda: Hand sanitiser restricted to two per person both in-store and online. No food restrictions. Many anti-bacterial products out of stock online.

Sainsbury’s: No limits on any purchases.

Lidl: Did not confirm any restrictions.

Ocado: Has not yet responded, but no limits on products online.

Source
Misc
Top comments
The biggest danger from Coronavirus is hysteria.
Mark_Hickman27/02/2020 13:06

They keep saying only week or old people will die but the Chinese doctor …They keep saying only week or old people will die but the Chinese doctor who was hushed about it died and he was a strong 34 year old.

But was it actually Coronavirus that kiiled the whistleblowing Doctor though?
152 Comments
It's worst than they're admitting
You think they want to be honest? If they did they'll lost billions
Norseg27/02/2020 12:56

It's worst than they're admittingYou think they want to be honest? If they …It's worst than they're admittingYou think they want to be honest? If they did they'll lost billions

I think its worse than claimed and will spread rapidly soon in the uk, well it probably already has and in a few weeks people will start to become ill.
With it now being in places like Italy where many more nations visit than China its a losing battle, trying to segregate people afterwards is far too late because its already been spread for weeks before they've become ill and it goes on and on repeating.
They keep saying only weak or old people will die but the Chinese doctor who was hushed about it died and he was a strong 34 year old.
Edited by: "Mark_Hickman" 27th Feb
Appreciate the advice aspect of the article.

But are these links for buying items like the hand gel and masks, affiliate links?
RYANdeals27/02/2020 13:18

Appreciate the advice aspect of the article. But are these links for …Appreciate the advice aspect of the article. But are these links for buying items like the hand gel and masks, affiliate links?

No. Just advice. Just Googled those things, they were first that came up...
Edited by: "Akira_Cat" 27th Feb
Mark_Hickman27/02/2020 13:06

They keep saying only week or old people will die but the Chinese doctor …They keep saying only week or old people will die but the Chinese doctor who was hushed about it died and he was a strong 34 year old.

But was it actually Coronavirus that kiiled the whistleblowing Doctor though?
Talk of Cheltenham Festival abandonment.
Screwfix are out of cheap face masks. However these are pretty much useless.

Even scarier is that screwfix are now out of full face respirators. Good luck
On Radio 2 talking about it now. Apparently 22 currently reported UK cases. How many 'unreported' though? Government predicts 80% of the country will be affected.

Are we prepared? Of course not. The NHS can't NOT say they are prepared but no-one knows how far/long this is going to run. With what I heard yesterday regarding the hotel residents in Spain who are being kept under quarantine - only for one of them to say "We are supposed to be in our rooms but some of us were going down to the lobby to collect coffee - and I even went outside for a while and saw about 250 people walking around."

With quarantine logic like that - how can we hope to contain it when "people" again are the biggest enemy? The biggest threat isn't the virus - it's the numpties who WON'T be told what to do; and self-quarantine; as they know better. Heck, just recently I was in a little shop and this Mother with a coughing, screaming child in pushchair was milling around. Another customer commented "Oh, they don't sound too happy" - to which she replied "No, he's suffering from Chicken Pox at the moment."

I had to leave rapidly as my 'bitten' tongue was beginning to get free!
Frankie7727/02/2020 13:25

Talk of Cheltenham Festival abandonment.

Talk of all big meetings of people being called off. For months.
Willy_Wonka27/02/2020 13:26

Screwfix are out of cheap face masks. However these are pretty much …Screwfix are out of cheap face masks. However these are pretty much useless. Even scarier is that screwfix are now out of full face respirators. Good luck

Imagine seeing that walking down the street. #apocalypse
Phsycronix27/02/2020 13:31

On Radio 2 talking about it now. Apparently 22 currently reported UK …On Radio 2 talking about it now. Apparently 22 currently reported UK cases. How many 'unreported' though? Government predicts 80% of the country will be affected.

I have read that it has a 60% infection rate with a death rate of 2.5%. Equates to about 1 million dead in the UK.
I heard on BBC radio 5 live yesterday that the best thing to do is wash hands with soap and water as alcohol rub causes a not so bad bacteria on your hands to become dangerous and if you do use alcohol ge, then make sure that you wash your hands within 15 minutes.
Willy_Wonka27/02/2020 13:40

I have read that it has a 60% infection rate with a death rate of 2.5%. …I have read that it has a 60% infection rate with a death rate of 2.5%. Equates to about 1 million dead in the UK.

No idea, WW. Said a little while ago figures of 1% and 400,000 for UK. It's ALL speculation TBO. Personally, I think it's not a case of 'if' but when. I do use public transport and buses are like little "virus" lunchboxes!

I know - I shouldn't laugh...

I have read that it has a 60% infection rate with a death rate of 2.5%. …I have read that it has a 60% infection rate with a death rate of 2.5%. Equates to about 1 million dead in the UK.

Where did you hear or read that?
Just gotta keep yourself clean and use hand wash frequently and try and avoid huge public places which isn't easy for me since I'm doing some part time work at odeon cinemas
Haircut_10027/02/2020 13:24

But was it actually Coronavirus that kiiled the whistleblowing Doctor …But was it actually Coronavirus that kiiled the whistleblowing Doctor though?

.. even more dodgy that a military doc was called in to head the team to cure it

This is incorrect, as most cases are non-critical. Most people who have contracted the virus have had either 'mild' or 'severe' symptoms - with only a small percentage of cases being classed as 'critical'.
Haircut_10027/02/2020 13:24

But was it actually Coronavirus that kiiled the whistleblowing Doctor …But was it actually Coronavirus that kiiled the whistleblowing Doctor though?

I suppose it could be foul play especially with China but the doctor was posting live videos online with his phone etc and his symptoms were coughing and breathing issues so id say its more than likely just the virus when hes found it and been around it first, well second after the patient.
Weird though him and many others didn't seem to be on any oxygen or clenbuterol or similar to help with the struggle to breath.
Problem is if you have children your doomed, i saw women in the shop yesterday blowing their nose and coughing everywhere so i stayed 5 foot back then i realised im wasting my time because they gave the cashier money and shes about to give me money and then i thought about how careless children are and all grouped together in schools its just setup for failure from the beginning, if children still go to school we might as well not bother cancelling festivals etc
sciencealert.com/lar…ild

The elderly and those with underlying conditions are those at risk, not the general population. You may have symptoms but just brush it off. I think knowing the facts is important.
Akira_Cat27/02/2020 14:07

This is incorrect, as most cases are non-critical. Most people who have …This is incorrect, as most cases are non-critical. Most people who have contracted the virus have had either 'mild' or 'severe' symptoms - with only a small percentage of cases being classed as 'critical'.

"Mild" or "severe" cases are still infected & recorded as such & the death rate has always been about 2.5%.
Akira_Cat27/02/2020 14:10

https://www.sciencealert.com/large-chinese-study-finds-most-coronavirus-infections-are-mildThe elderly and those with underlying conditions are those at risk, not the general population. You may have symptoms but just brush it off. I think knowing the facts are important.

Anyone with a reduced immune system is more at risk of death. Like I said before the stats are near enough 2.5% of those infected which would obviously include an amount that would have died from a normal cold.

Which means about 990,000 more deaths than the normal 500,000 per year.
The biggest danger is nonsense about the virus on social media and selfish idiots who think being quarantined for 2 weeks is against their human rights.
Phsycronix27/02/2020 13:31

On Radio 2 talking about it now. Apparently 22 currently reported UK …On Radio 2 talking about it now. Apparently 22 currently reported UK cases. How many 'unreported' though? Government predicts 80% of the country will be affected.Are we prepared? Of course not. The NHS can't NOT say they are prepared but no-one knows how far/long this is going to run. With what I heard yesterday regarding the hotel residents in Spain who are being kept under quarantine - only for one of them to say "We are supposed to be in our rooms but some of us were going down to the lobby to collect coffee - and I even went outside for a while and saw about 250 people walking around."With quarantine logic like that - how can we hope to contain it when "people" again are the biggest enemy? The biggest threat isn't the virus - it's the numpties who WON'T be told what to do; and self-quarantine; as they know better. Heck, just recently I was in a little shop and this Mother with a coughing, screaming child in pushchair was milling around. Another customer commented "Oh, they don't sound too happy" - to which she replied "No, he's suffering from Chicken Pox at the moment."I had to leave rapidly as my 'bitten' tongue was beginning to get free!

"Government predicts 80% of the country will be affected."

Where did you get that from? Can you back that quote up, otherwise, with respect, that just sounds like scaremongering.
Once a child gets it and enters a school they all need to be closed its going to spread like wildfire.
sd1327/02/2020 15:03

Once a child gets it and enters a school they all need to be closed its …Once a child gets it and enters a school they all need to be closed its going to spread like wildfire.

Did you ever have the flu at school? I did and I remember some others getting it in my year but the majority didn't. Same in jobs I've had. Normal flu and this are equally as contagious.
xenophon27/02/2020 14:55

"Government predicts 80% of the country will be affected."Where did you …"Government predicts 80% of the country will be affected."Where did you get that from? Can you back that quote up, otherwise, with respect, that just sounds like scaremongering.

I agree. Yes it is a contagious virus and certainly people will die, but many many people die from influenza and the common cold each year. Just be aware of those around you and of keeping your hands clean and you should be okay. If a population the size of China's has only had 70,000+ outbreaks, then surely the UK will be okay, considering it has a population approximately 37 times smaller than China. Fewer people, fewer cases.
Akira_Cat27/02/2020 15:50

If a population the size of China's has only had 70,000+ outbreaks

Officially recorded to date. And the death toll is what? (about 2.5%).

Chinas' infection numbers have not stopped just because you are quoting it as is stands.
if thats what you lot are believing
Willy_Wonka27/02/2020 15:54

Officially recorded to date. And the death toll is what? (about 2.5%). …Officially recorded to date. And the death toll is what? (about 2.5%). Chinas' infection numbers have not stopped just because you are quoting it as is stands.

Fair enough, the average death toll is around 2.5%, but that has been affected massively by older people.

"The highest fatality rate is for people aged 80 and older, at 14.8 percent.

The study finds that patients with cardiovascular disease are most likely to die of complications from the novel coronavirus, followed by patients with diabetes, chronic respiratory disease and hypertension.

There were no deaths among children aged up to 9, despite at least two cases of newborn babies infected through their mothers.

Up to age 39, the death rate remains low at 0.2 percent. The fatality rate increases gradually with age. For people in their 40s it is 0.4 percent, in their 50s it is 1.3 percent, in their 60s it is 3.6 percent and their 70s it is 8.0 percent.

Men are more likely to die (2.8 percent) than women (1.7 percent).

The overall death rate from the virus stood at 2.3 percent."
Akira_Cat27/02/2020 16:01

The overall death rate from the virus stood at 2.3 percent.

Yes & that is how consistent it kills. Circa 2.5% and that rate has been consistent for 2 months.

I agree. Yes it is a contagious virus and certainly people will die, but …I agree. Yes it is a contagious virus and certainly people will die, but many many people die from influenza and the common cold each year. Just be aware of those around you and of keeping your hands clean and you should be okay. If a population the size of China's has only had 70,000+ outbreaks, then surely the UK will be okay, considering it has a population approximately 37 times smaller than China. Fewer people, fewer cases.

Yes absolutely, people need to keep things in perspective, too much alarmist stuff out there at the moment, but you always get some that love to create a bit of doom, trouble is this can cause unnecessary worry and can ironically become even more contagious than the illness.

As you say, take all the precautions you would for the flu generally. That's the best advice as you outline above.

And don't be a martyr by going to work if you have more than a slight cold, you don't get a medal for it and I've never understood managers etc. saying get a load of paracetamol down you and get your backside here, as you can't work properly and you're only going to spread it to others!
This 2% / 2.5% is garbage as i've mentioned many times. It's alot higher than that. The way it's worked out seems to take into account everyone still infected will make a full recovery.

To me it makes more sense to take notice of the stats where the cases are closed and thats 92% got better 8% died.

I agree. Yes it is a contagious virus and certainly people will die, but …I agree. Yes it is a contagious virus and certainly people will die, but many many people die from influenza and the common cold each year. Just be aware of those around you and of keeping your hands clean and you should be okay. If a population the size of China's has only had 70,000+ outbreaks, then surely the UK will be okay, considering it has a population approximately 37 times smaller than China. Fewer people, fewer cases.

if you believe China has had 70k cases,then......
China is Not telling the truth, just like Iran and Taiwan and many other nations..... governments were under prepared when they started using temperature checks at airports,what idiots, this thing is asymptomatic for possibly up to near 4 weeks.... those that were quarantined in Willow or wherever it was, should have remained so for 40 days.

Its too late in my eyes, this virus is everywhere or near so....I don't want to cause panic, but it will be reality very soon,hope im wrong....

What's scary is,people who recover are still infectious afterwards,maybe up to 3 weeks, and even more so alarming is reports of secondary infections have caused heart attacks.

The infection may be like the seasonal flu for majority of folk, and so a lot of people are not worried, but they are forgetting to see a possible disruption to the economic side.

This thing is very very contagious, soo many will catch it, resulting in being off work because of quarantine,what implications will it have on the economy....

worrying times ahead.... hope it doesn't turn out too bad
m1keyp1key27/02/2020 16:17

This 2% / 2.5% is garbage as i've mentioned many times. It's alot higher …This 2% / 2.5% is garbage as i've mentioned many times. It's alot higher than that. The way it's worked out seems to take into account everyone still infected will make a full recovery. To me it makes more sense to take notice of the stats where the cases are closed and thats 92% got better 8% died.

Have you got a link for that because I have followed it closely & am going by the infection rate to death rate & it has been consistently about 2.5% death rate.
m1keyp1key27/02/2020 16:23

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

That just proves what I have said about 2.5%
Willy_Wonka27/02/2020 16:25

That just proves what I have said about 2.5%

No it doesnt, for the reasons i've already stated.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants