Coronavirus rip off merchants

Posted 21st MarEdited by:"groenleader"
Seems like a lot of shops are racking up costs! How about half a kilo of chicken drumsticks (about 5) for £3.99! Saw this in a butchers, KP Family Butchers in the Broadway in Loughton.

Typically about £2 for 1.1KG in Morrisons!.
£1.70 for 1KG at Sainsburys.

Post what you have seen!

3425789.jpg
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
Just remember them after the epidemic and boycott etc.. I've said that on one of the other Corona inspired threads too.
We should also be naming the shops, if they’re OK with charging these prices then they should be OK with people knowing who they are
Some of these shops are selling nothing so are trying to stay afloat by charging more for the only things people are buying. All the locals here went mad at a small shop selling those blue industrial toilet rolls for £2 each instead of the usual £1. But the guy was only person with them, he’s said he struggled to get them and went all over the place costing a fortune in petrol just to get them. It was like some witch hunt against the fella yet the same moaners complain that no where has big roll.
Yes. Local shop 30 eggs price gone up from £2.79 to £9 in hayes highstreet.
28 Comments
Yes. Local shop 30 eggs price gone up from £2.79 to £9 in hayes highstreet.
Usually pay £4.80 for 500g chicken breast
We should also be naming the shops, if they’re OK with charging these prices then they should be OK with people knowing who they are
winzzz21/03/2020 15:30

We should also be naming the shops, if they’re OK with charging these p …We should also be naming the shops, if they’re OK with charging these prices then they should be OK with people knowing who they are

Done!
Just remember them after the epidemic and boycott etc.. I've said that on one of the other Corona inspired threads too.
one needs to be fair, and take a complete picture before one judges harshly,

down my High Street, the foot-fall has sloped badly, trade is down, you need to assess overall if double money is rip-off because small butchers cannot lock-in nor control suppliers' prices, and get government help as much as the big supermarkets, double money is not rip-off, that's normal prices for the only surviving local butchers around far and wide in my region,
they have overheads which are the same,
additionally, for the butchers which rely on income for selling bulk to caterers, schools, nurseries and local restaurants, these incomes have slumped, as indeed the meat wholesalers

In my case, you said, " £2 for 1.1KG chicken in Morrisons" That's awfully unfair for comparison. I paid, £1.49 for a kilo of white potatoes at a local shop, yesterday after work at 14:00, where few customers visit, after I went to five usual supermarkets in a car, they had all their potatoes and fruit and veg cleaned out.
Edited by: "splender" 21st Mar
Some of these shops are selling nothing so are trying to stay afloat by charging more for the only things people are buying. All the locals here went mad at a small shop selling those blue industrial toilet rolls for £2 each instead of the usual £1. But the guy was only person with them, he’s said he struggled to get them and went all over the place costing a fortune in petrol just to get them. It was like some witch hunt against the fella yet the same moaners complain that no where has big roll.
The question of people profiteering was put forward at the corona virus press conference earlier this afternoon, they just skipped answering this and went on to say there's no supply issue.

But i hope customers remember their behaviour and never step foot in the shop once this is all over.
toonsquirel21/03/2020 16:35

Some of these shops are selling nothing so are trying to stay afloat by …Some of these shops are selling nothing so are trying to stay afloat by charging more for the only things people are buying. All the locals here went mad at a small shop selling those blue industrial toilet rolls for £2 each instead of the usual £1. But the guy was only person with them, he’s said he struggled to get them and went all over the place costing a fortune in petrol just to get them. It was like some witch hunt against the fella yet the same moaners complain that no where has big roll.

Well said, these moaners may have no consideration of the needs of others (the small community shops versus the big bad/friendly giants)
splender21/03/2020 16:41

Well said, these moaners may have no consideration of the needs of others …Well said, these moaners may have no consideration of the needs of others (the small community shops versus the big bad/friendly giants)

Yeah I’d understand if Tesco started doubling the price of things or petrol stations or places not affected by this. I’m a postman and if Royal Mail upped prices it’d be shocking. I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of these smaller ones went bust anyway and if they are very lucky and can pull through it seems people like on here will ruin them anyway.
My niece went into a local shop in Droylsden for paracetamol. They had paracetamol in that they usually charge about 60p for a pack of 16. The shopkeeper opened the pack and cut off a strip of 4 and wanted to charge her £1 for 4 paracetamol. She told him to shove them up his backside and she would never set foot in there again.
oliviasgrandad21/03/2020 16:54

My niece went into a local shop in Droylsden for paracetamol. They had …My niece went into a local shop in Droylsden for paracetamol. They had paracetamol in that they usually charge about 60p for a pack of 16. The shopkeeper opened the pack and cut off a strip of 4 and wanted to charge her £1 for 4 paracetamol. She told him to shove them up his backside and she would never set foot in there again.

That's fair enough, but people shouldn't buy over priced stuff and it will soon drop no need wait for the virus too finish, common if all the people who purchased the meat it's mainly the halal butchers whom have increased the prices approximately dobled themand also the same with flour, chillies have gone up 4x and a few 9ther vegetables. Both the idiots whomhavr overpayed andthe sellers are too blame. The shop keepers are showing proof that the retailers have increased the prices that's why they havehad too increase the prices, I haven't purchased anything over the odds apart from some Turkish green chillies for 5.99kg but that was only because they sometimes go to this price anyway. I told the shops keeper when the prices drop I'll come back. Herd mentality is too blame here aswell not just shopkeepers.
Even Jacks has put prices up!! Sugar £1.20 and Tesco is 75p!!
Other things were expensive such as cereal
I heard a local shop charged an old lady about £8 for a tiny bottle of hand gel, another customer questioned them about the high price and they responded "we're doing you a favour, they're £15 online". The old lady bought 3 bottles.
Usually buy 3 whole chickens for £6, one shop here decides to sell it for £10 EACH
40157031.jpg

Saw similar in SW London
Edited by: "7ommy.78" 21st Mar
Heard a local shop was selling 24 loo rolls for £15.
the worst was the chemist on ITV news selling paracetemol for £6 and calpol for £20 - everyone should avoid that store and put it out of business for basically thinking its ok to take advantage of ill people
My local corner shop

Toilet paper - £1 per roll
Hand Sanitiser 50ml - £5
Bread (the cheapest brand possible) - £3
Milk 2L - £5
Liquid Soap - £8
Eggs 6 pack - £5
Detol surface cleaner - £20
Calpol - £12
Paracetamol - £7.50 (Box of 16)

Wasn't long ago the owner was complaining about a lack of customers. After this has all blown over i don't think he's going to have any.
4 really cheap quality toilet rolls for $3.99 in a shop today. I was surprised they had any but the price probably explains why they did.
Edited by: "andrewworrall1" 21st Mar
Misslovely21/03/2020 18:30

Even Jacks has put prices up!! Sugar £1.20 and Tesco is 75p!! Other things …Even Jacks has put prices up!! Sugar £1.20 and Tesco is 75p!! Other things were expensive such as cereal

The same Jacks that Tesco owns?
I've never really liked the guy in my local shop.

He is very blunt & unhelpful.

I use his shop to send the occasional parcel.

I bet he has put his prices right up.
Retro8921/03/2020 20:42

My local corner shopToilet paper - £1 per rollHand Sanitiser 50ml - …My local corner shopToilet paper - £1 per rollHand Sanitiser 50ml - £5Bread (the cheapest brand possible) - £3Milk 2L - £5Liquid Soap - £8Eggs 6 pack - £5Detol surface cleaner - £20Calpol - £12Paracetamol - £7.50 (Box of 16)Wasn't long ago the owner was complaining about a lack of customers. After this has all blown over i don't think he's going to have any.

Wtf. That’s disgusting. My brother has a newspaper shops and he hasn’t increased anything accept toilet paper which is very rare to find in the country
xPabloz21/03/2020 19:17

Usually buy 3 whole chickens for £6, one shop here decides to sell it for …Usually buy 3 whole chickens for £6, one shop here decides to sell it for £10 EACH

That belongs to Tesco. Same with Jacks.
They aren’t discount stores after all
Name & Addresses of the shops please.
These immoral profiteers need naming & shaming.
Seems to me it is the small local shops who are the worst culprits, despite them being a 'part of the community' and previously relying on customers to avoid the big supermarkets in the past, and now they go and do this...

What I don't understand is the short term thinking. Trying to sell hand sanitiser at £15 a bottle leads to almost no one buying it. That is the reason why these are still for sale with the £15 price tag for all to see and remember. If they do make a few sales, is the extra few quid profit worth all the animosity and potential boycotts later?
I'm not encouraging any violence etc but it wouldn't surprise me if these sort of local shops get vandalised or looted. Afterall, if people are willing to go on looting rampages for days after the police shot a drug dealer in North London a few years ago, I can only imagine what those kind of yobs will be willing to do when confronted with something that is actually a genuine issue i.e. shops trying to sell essential products at vastly inflated prices.

Name & shame these local businesses people, and remember them well.
Uranus22/03/2020 11:12

Name & Addresses of the shops please.These immoral profiteers need naming …Name & Addresses of the shops please.These immoral profiteers need naming & shaming.Seems to me it is the small local shops who are the worst culprits, despite them being a 'part of the community' and previously relying on customers to avoid the big supermarkets in the past, and now they go and do this...What I don't understand is the short term thinking. Trying to sell hand sanitiser at £15 a bottle leads to almost no one buying it. That is the reason why these are still for sale with the £15 price tag for all to see and remember. If they do make a few sales, is the extra few quid profit worth all the animosity and potential boycotts later?I'm not encouraging any violence etc but it wouldn't surprise me if these sort of local shops get vandalised or looted. Afterall, if people are willing to go on looting rampages for days after the police shot a drug dealer in North London a few years ago, I can only imagine what those kind of yobs will be willing to do when confronted with something that is actually a genuine issue i.e. shops trying to sell essential products at vastly inflated prices.Name & shame these local businesses people, and remember them well.

I agree, also there's Google reviews. Stick those prices on there. I don't think too many look at reviews for local shops but guess its something.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants