Coronavirus Shopping Tips

Posted 13th Mar
Be useful if suggestions on tinned food and cleaning products advice. Not stockpiling but offers on tinned things plus the good brands price wise and taste/nutrition. Rather than newspapers telling us would rather real folks eg hotdeals etc. Share thoughts collectively?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Just buy your usual items. If you have to isolate, do a delivery online.

Stop panic buying.
Stop stocking up.
Stop changing buying habits.

It’s causing the shortages that people are fearing because of the disruption to the supply chain. The only people who need to stock up are the elderly and vulnerable and those living with either of those groups. If you’re under 60 and healthy, there is absolutely no need to be doing it and especially not be doing it to get your social media likes up.

Food examples are anything with a long date basically and anything fresh that is freezable.
Don’t forget to stock up for your pets too!
mutley114/03/2020 11:09

until last sunday, like the majority of people, whenever i heard people …until last sunday, like the majority of people, whenever i heard people were stockpiling toilet rolls, i thought they were just being silly as you don't need a huge amount of toilet roll if you were quarantined, there are far important things to stockpile if you wanted to have future provision.however, i got a fright when i went into my local sainsburys on sunday and the toilet roll shelf was depleted. this means everyone is buying toilet roll and so if i don't follow suit and stockpile, when i do come to need toilet rolls there won't be any left.this is the problem that we are facing and it will get worse as your reaction will be different when you see empty shelves in your local area. until that happens, you will not worry as you don't think it will be an issue for you. i don't follow the sheep in general but in this instance i am doing what i think i need to do because of everyone else's behaviour. people are being forced to stockpile because if they don't when they do come to need the item, everyone else has bought them already and there is nothing left. being sensible is the right thing to do but only when everyone else is doing the same.

Stockpiling toilet roll is stupidity at it’s highest point and shows that people are sheep. Toilet roll isn’t a necessity in the slightest.

Why?

Because if the worst happened and supplies couldn’t get through, we all have showers and baths. Toilet roll isn’t the only way to clean your backside.

mutley114/03/2020 11:13

i am sure when this pandemic is over, the foodbanks will benefit as people …i am sure when this pandemic is over, the foodbanks will benefit as people will give away all the stuff they bought during the pandemic that they never needed!

Or they could eat what they have bought and stay away from the shops they cleared out, so the supply chains can recover for the rest of us, rather than continue to cause problems?
Edited by: "Biddy2" 14th Mar
47 Comments
Just go to your local Aldi, Lidl, Morrison’s, etc and stock up on their own brand tins of soup, beans, pasta sauce, rice, pasta, long life milk, tea bags, cereal, etc. No need to go over the top and strip the shelves, but just stock up on some basics that you can throw together some meals with, especially tinned products that you can easily fill a cupboard with rather than trying to find space in a fridge. Also don’t forget to buy some bars of soap and shower gel.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 13th Mar
nappys too?
Just buy your usual items. If you have to isolate, do a delivery online.

Stop panic buying.
Stop stocking up.
Stop changing buying habits.

It’s causing the shortages that people are fearing because of the disruption to the supply chain. The only people who need to stock up are the elderly and vulnerable and those living with either of those groups. If you’re under 60 and healthy, there is absolutely no need to be doing it and especially not be doing it to get your social media likes up.

Food examples are anything with a long date basically and anything fresh that is freezable.
Personally, the only thing I am doing is rubbing a wipe over the shopping trolley handle. They are disgusting at the best of times. Actually very surprised that Tesco (maybe other supermarkets) are not offering sterile wipes at the trolley points. As to food, my freezer would keep us going for 14 days, plus the normal dried canned goods. No need to get extra IMHO. Bog roll? Well my granny used newspaper squares, I guess so could I if required. Mind you 1/2 the world uses fresh water anyway!
i don't know about recommendation but here are the items i have stocked up on

toilet rolls
kitchen rolls
baked beans

i need to get rice but there was none left at my sainsbury store last sunday as the rice and pasta shelf was completely empty. i am going again this sunday and i am hoping the shelf won't be cleared again like last week but i am half expecting it to be so.
airbus33013/03/2020 16:55

Personally, the only thing I am doing is rubbing a wipe over the shopping …Personally, the only thing I am doing is rubbing a wipe over the shopping trolley handle. They are disgusting at the best of times. Actually very surprised that Tesco (maybe other supermarkets) are not offering sterile wipes at the trolley points. As to food, my freezer would keep us going for 14 days, plus the normal dried canned goods. No need to get extra IMHO. Bog roll? Well my granny used newspaper squares, I guess so could I if required. Mind you 1/2 the world uses fresh water anyway!

But why only 14 days? Hasn't wuhan been on lockdown since the end of January?
toilet rolls
chocci13/03/2020 17:15

But why only 14 days? Hasn't wuhan been on lockdown since the end of …But why only 14 days? Hasn't wuhan been on lockdown since the end of January?

It highly unlikely we will see a Wuhan style lock down here in the UK, much more likely to be moresimilar what other European countries are doing.
chocci13/03/2020 17:15

But why only 14 days? Hasn't wuhan been on lockdown since the end of …But why only 14 days? Hasn't wuhan been on lockdown since the end of January?

Well, in a relaxed sort of thought process, if I get it, which is probable, or I get symptoms indicating I might have it, the current advice is to self isolate for 7 days. If the symptoms worsen, then likely another 7 days to recover. If I don't recover, food is no longer an issue anyway! If the data changes, I will change my plan. I don't foresee a WuHan type lock down in a Western Democracy, the state policing is too weak to enforce it. You can play around with this until you go cross eyed, but I choose to keep informed and keep calm.
At this moment in time there is more luck finding fairy dust than toilet paper, soap and hand sanitizer.

This stockpiling panic buying is selfish and annoying.
This is all great stuff. Lets keep it going so others benefit from valued advice
Who get good rating for own brand soup types?. Morrisons seems pretty good.
Edited by: "brenbo" 13th Mar
Our 2 local Aldi have had toilet rolls and pasta for the past couple of days, didn’t check on soap, home bargains this morning had toilet rolls and both liquid and bar soap. Good old Asda one of the busiest in the country shelves are empty.
Are folks really going to self isolate?
Some folks can't afford to be off work.
brenbo13/03/2020 18:43

Who get good rating for own brand soup types?. Morrisons seems pretty good.

Morrisons soup is great, Lidl's Cream of Chicken soup is terrible though.
MonkeysUncle13/03/2020 20:49

Are folks really going to self isolate?Some folks can't afford to be off …Are folks really going to self isolate?Some folks can't afford to be off work.

i think people will, simply from peer pressure. if you have symptoms, you will be treated like a leper if you go outside and people will start attacking you for not staying indoors.

even last week people were avoiding other people with a cold so now with the official advice, people will not take kindly to other people coughing and sniffing in public.
When I go out now I wear gloves. If I take them off I use hand sanitizer if I touch something ( card readers etc). I found the local stores have stock , supermarkets were out pasta soap rice etc but local Turkish shop up the road shelves were full
discozohan13/03/2020 21:53

When I go out now I wear gloves. If I take them off I use hand sanitizer …When I go out now I wear gloves. If I take them off I use hand sanitizer if I touch something ( card readers etc). I found the local stores have stock , supermarkets were out pasta soap rice etc but local Turkish shop up the road shelves were full

Are you or your family in a high risk group?
mutley113/03/2020 17:07

i don't know about recommendation but here are the items i have stocked up …i don't know about recommendation but here are the items i have stocked up ontoilet rollskitchen rollsbaked beansi need to get rice but there was none left at my sainsbury store last sunday as the rice and pasta shelf was completely empty. i am going again this sunday and i am hoping the shelf won't be cleared again like last week but i am half expecting it to be so.

Could you please enlighten me as to why you have 'stocked' up on toilet roll?

I have half a pack left and went to shop yesterday for other things and they had some but I didn't even buy a pack as I don't need them yet, when I do need them I'll go and get some and if people like you have helped clear the shelves then I'll just use my shower or my sons super soaker water gun.

I am going to guess it is because of your sheep mentality, no offence intended but you see others are doing it so you think you have to as well without actually thinking for yourself logically? There is no logic to it, whatsoever.
AllyOxenFree13/03/2020 16:12

Good point I never thought about that
mutley113/03/2020 17:07

i don't know about recommendation but here are the items i have stocked up …i don't know about recommendation but here are the items i have stocked up ontoilet rollskitchen rollsbaked beansi need to get rice but there was none left at my sainsbury store last sunday as the rice and pasta shelf was completely empty. i am going again this sunday and i am hoping the shelf won't be cleared again like last week but i am half expecting it to be so.

I’d hate to be on lockdown with you with just beans for a month,might have to leave your windows slightly ajar lol
Rusty8214/03/2020 08:13

Could you please enlighten me as to why you have 'stocked' up on toilet …Could you please enlighten me as to why you have 'stocked' up on toilet roll?I have half a pack left and went to shop yesterday for other things and they had some but I didn't even buy a pack as I don't need them yet, when I do need them I'll go and get some and if people like you have helped clear the shelves then I'll just use my shower or my sons super soaker water gun.I am going to guess it is because of your sheep mentality, no offence intended but you see others are doing it so you think you have to as well without actually thinking for yourself logically? There is no logic to it, whatsoever.

it is silly the whole toilet roll thing, I think it started from a rumour . At the end of the day once something like that takes hold it feeds itself, you go shopping and see there’s no toilet roll. Next time you shop you buy more than you need because who knows if next week there will be any.
this has got annoying, we monthly shop do big £300 or so then the rest from the allotment. due to stockpile people we cant any more :/ dam annoying!
also love to know where people are putting it? if they dont normally do it they wont have room set up? we have a big under stairs cupboard i shelved out. so much easier. its like a mini shop.
Stop feeding the fire with posts like this is the best tip. Just do your normal shop.
My Asian friend has 10 bags of 10kg rice and 6 crates of ktc chick peas.

No TP rolls as they use good old water!
Edited by: "rimalpatel007" 14th Mar
Rusty8214/03/2020 08:13

Could you please enlighten me as to why you have 'stocked' up on toilet …Could you please enlighten me as to why you have 'stocked' up on toilet roll?I have half a pack left and went to shop yesterday for other things and they had some but I didn't even buy a pack as I don't need them yet, when I do need them I'll go and get some and if people like you have helped clear the shelves then I'll just use my shower or my sons super soaker water gun.I am going to guess it is because of your sheep mentality, no offence intended but you see others are doing it so you think you have to as well without actually thinking for yourself logically? There is no logic to it, whatsoever.

until last sunday, like the majority of people, whenever i heard people were stockpiling toilet rolls, i thought they were just being silly as you don't need a huge amount of toilet roll if you were quarantined, there are far important things to stockpile if you wanted to have future provision.

however, i got a fright when i went into my local sainsburys on sunday and the toilet roll shelf was depleted. this means everyone is buying toilet roll and so if i don't follow suit and stockpile, when i do come to need toilet rolls there won't be any left.

this is the problem that we are facing and it will get worse as your reaction will be different when you see empty shelves in your local area. until that happens, you will not worry as you don't think it will be an issue for you. i don't follow the sheep in general but in this instance i am doing what i think i need to do because of everyone else's behaviour. people are being forced to stockpile because if they don't when they do come to need the item, everyone else has bought them already and there is nothing left. being sensible is the right thing to do but only when everyone else is doing the same.
paul.williamsA4v14/03/2020 08:53

I’d hate to be on lockdown with you with just beans for a month,might have …I’d hate to be on lockdown with you with just beans for a month,might have to leave your windows slightly ajar lol

the funny thing is, we don't eat much baked beans generally but because of the worry about provisions i thought that i could live on baked beans and toast if it came to the worst and there is nothing else to eat, lol

i am sure when this pandemic is over, the foodbanks will benefit as people will give away all the stuff they bought during the pandemic that they never needed!

until last sunday, like the majority of people, whenever i heard people …until last sunday, like the majority of people, whenever i heard people were stockpiling toilet rolls, i thought they were just being silly as you don't need a huge amount of toilet roll if you were quarantined, there are far important things to stockpile if you wanted to have future provision.however, i got a fright when i went into my local sainsburys on sunday and the toilet roll shelf was depleted. this means everyone is buying toilet roll and so if i don't follow suit and stockpile, when i do come to need toilet rolls there won't be any left.this is the problem that we are facing and it will get worse as your reaction will be different when you see empty shelves in your local area. until that happens, you will not worry as you don't think it will be an issue for you. i don't follow the sheep in general but in this instance i am doing what i think i need to do because of everyone else's behaviour. people are being forced to stockpile because if they don't when they do come to need the item, everyone else has bought them already and there is nothing left. being sensible is the right thing to do but only when everyone else is doing the same.

I'm just back from the shop, no toilet roll at all. Am I concerned? No, not in the slightest.

The way you've explained it is exactly the problem, it's just the way it is, the majority of people can't think for themselves at the best of times.

There was an old lady just trying to get some toilet roll and she couldn't, obviously, because people like you have a supply to last you a lifetime.

The fact of the matter is people need to get a grip. It's only bloody toilet roll. It is a joke. If I saw someone clearing a shelf with an unnecessary quantity of toilet roll I would simply not allow them to do it.

Stockpiling toilet roll is stupidity at it’s highest point and shows that people are sheep. Toilet roll isn’t a necessity in the slightest.

Why?

Because if the worst happened and supplies couldn’t get through, we all have showers and baths. Toilet roll isn’t the only way to clean your backside.

mutley114/03/2020 11:13

i am sure when this pandemic is over, the foodbanks will benefit as people …i am sure when this pandemic is over, the foodbanks will benefit as people will give away all the stuff they bought during the pandemic that they never needed!

Or they could eat what they have bought and stay away from the shops they cleared out, so the supply chains can recover for the rest of us, rather than continue to cause problems?
Edited by: "Biddy2" 14th Mar
Biddy214/03/2020 11:31

Stockpiling toilet roll is stupidity at it’s highest point and shows that p …Stockpiling toilet roll is stupidity at it’s highest point and shows that people are sheep. Toilet roll isn’t a necessity in the slightest. Why?Because if the worst happened and supplies couldn’t get through, we all have showers and baths. Toilet roll isn’t the only way to clean your backside.

Yeah it does seem the least necessary and easiest to do with out of all the products people are stock piling.
myusernamehasgone23414/03/2020 11:34

Yeah it does seem the least necessary and easiest to do with out of all …Yeah it does seem the least necessary and easiest to do with out of all the products people are stock piling.

Soaps, I get. Pasta, rice, I get.

What I don’t get is people only choosing pasta sauces, tinned tomatoes and baked beans, while leaving every other long life and tinned products on the shelf. It’s madness. You can see there is no thought or logic behind the buying choices.
I am what I hate, we have had to stockpile toilet roll, tinned and frozen food, interesting to note Co-Ops £5 Freezer Fillers are restricted to 3 per customer something they have never done before so obviously they are expecting people to stock up.
minifig29013/03/2020 17:56

At this moment in time there is more luck finding fairy dust than toilet …At this moment in time there is more luck finding fairy dust than toilet paper, soap and hand sanitizer.This stockpiling panic buying is selfish and annoying.

One of my local Home Bargain stores had normal stocks of Nicky loo rolls on Thurs., (& several previous days) yet 2 mins down the road a big Tesco Extra was completely cleared out of loo rolls.
No hand sanitizer anywhere though
Edited by: "sjs31" 14th Mar
Biddy214/03/2020 11:42

Soaps, I get. Pasta, rice, I get.What I don’t get is people only choosing p …Soaps, I get. Pasta, rice, I get.What I don’t get is people only choosing pasta sauces, tinned tomatoes and baked beans, while leaving every other long life and tinned products on the shelf. It’s madness. You can see there is no thought or logic behind the buying choices.

It’s making it really difficult for those on a budget to just get on and do there usually weekly/ monthly shops.

Not everyone is in the financial position to be able to go out a shop at short notice people will be waiting for payday and won’t be able to get the things they need now.

The toilet roll shortage is due purely to panic buying, there wouldn’t be a shortage if it wasn’t for the hysteria online and in the press. People who would never have stocked up now feel forced to buy extra as everyone else is and there is becoming a shortage.
Biddy214/03/2020 11:31

Stockpiling toilet roll is stupidity at it’s highest point and shows that p …Stockpiling toilet roll is stupidity at it’s highest point and shows that people are sheep. Toilet roll isn’t a necessity in the slightest. Why?Because if the worst happened and supplies couldn’t get through, we all have showers and baths. Toilet roll isn’t the only way to clean your backside.Or they could eat what they have bought and stay away from the shops they cleared out, so the supply chains can recover for the rest of us, rather than continue to cause problems?

Exactly. What kind of absolute moron would need to have 12 months supply of bog roll stashed away?
deleted8085814/03/2020 12:18

Exactly. What kind of absolute moron would need to have 12 months supply …Exactly. What kind of absolute moron would need to have 12 months supply of bog roll stashed away?

Someone who is full of sh...
deleted8085814/03/2020 12:18

Exactly. What kind of absolute moron would need to have 12 months supply …Exactly. What kind of absolute moron would need to have 12 months supply of bog roll stashed away?

Seen some photos online that looks like people have bought a lifetimes supply
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants