Expired

Correct size inner tube on bicycle

Found 10th Jun
I need help to understand the correct size inner tube for my bicycle. When we were on holiday, my bike developed a puncture so my husband replaced the inner tube with one that we had bought from Halfords.

The size of the inner tube was 26" x 1.5" However, I tried to patch up the hole recently on the old inner tube and realised it is a different size. The old inner tube was 26" x 1.25".

I looked at the tyre on my bike and it states the tyre size is 26" x 1.5", so I assume that the ones we got from the Halfords are the correct sized inner tubes and the old inner tube was the wrong size?

I don't understand how I have been able to use the smaller inner tube on my bike for so long without issue as it would appear to be too small for my tyre? Or can you put a smaller inner tube into a bigger tyre and it is still fine?
Community Updates
AskBike
4 Comments
Inner tubes cover a range that they are in spec for - now if you had tried using a 1.25 on a 2.5 tyre them that may be too much and visa versa
Bertz9910th Jun

Inner tubes cover a range that they are in spec for - now if you had tried …Inner tubes cover a range that they are in spec for - now if you had tried using a 1.25 on a 2.5 tyre them that may be too much and visa versa

thank you, that makes sense.
I advise you buy the sticky repair plasters, as a quick fix while out on a cycle there really handy.
Millionvoltage7 m ago

I advise you buy the sticky repair plasters, as a quick fix while out on a …I advise you buy the sticky repair plasters, as a quick fix while out on a cycle there really handy.

my husband bought several of these but with hindsight, we shouldn't have got them as we now have too many and they take time to repair the inner tube as you need to find where the hole is.

spare inner tubes are quite cheap so it doesn't seem to make sense spending the time to repair the inner tube. i will use up the repair plasters that we have but we won't be buying them again when they finish.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions