Cost effective damp proof laminate underlay

Found 20th Nov 2017
can anyone recommend a good one at a decent price?

there seems to be few versions of 'sonic gold' around, one by novostrat and a cheapie by Royale.

need around 40 sqm
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Is your floor screeded or just concrete.

If it’s concrete and a old house then you may need damp proof otherwise it’s pointless
I have just layed sonic gold 6mm underlay in my cellar. You can get cheaper on eBay
Original Poster
jaks1011 h, 23 m ago

Is your floor screeded or just concrete.If it’s concrete and a old house t …Is your floor screeded or just concrete.If it’s concrete and a old house then you may need damp proof otherwise it’s pointless

It's a 1950s build with just concrete sub floor so yes a damp proof underlay is a must
Original Poster
Mihir951 h, 7 m ago

I have just layed sonic gold 6mm underlay in my cellar. You can get …I have just layed sonic gold 6mm underlay in my cellar. You can get cheaper on eBay

Yes I've noticed there's a royale brand and a novastrat brand though
dont you just need a damp proof membrane then ANY underlay?
jamstaruk19722 h, 10 m ago

dont you just need a damp proof membrane then ANY underlay?

Yeah first damp proof membrane and then underlay and use vapour tape
In our cellar (basement) we used black Bitumen paint on the walls and on the floor as it was so dampy there and brick was scrapping idk how to explain but there was so much damp so we used blackjack 908 Black bitumen paint and let it dry and layed damp proof membrane afterwards sonic gold underlay.
Edited by: "Mihir95" 21st Nov 2017
You can buy a liquid damp proof membrane which you can just paint onto the floor. It does take some time to set, Normally a day or 2.

Liquid damp

Or if you are in a hurry there's a rapid liquid damp version from sika but it's 3 times the price at £60

10l sika damp liquid

32492533-iBbtf.jpg
Edited by: "refix" 21st Nov 2017
Original Poster
I was under the impression that you can get laminate underlays with a built in dpm
I have concrete floors and just put down basic laminate underlay

That was 12 years ago and never had an issue
You can get underlay with dpm built in.
60m2 £40.
Dpm underlay

The dpm membrane will stop any moisture coming up. The quality and thickness of the underlay will depend on how flat the floor is. If it has a good flat level then I would say a 3mm underlay is fine. If it's more uneven then a thicker underlay would be more suitable.
Edited by: "refix" 21st Nov 2017
Original Poster
refix3 h, 35 m ago

You can get underlay with dpm built in. 60m2 £40. Dpm underlayThe dpm …You can get underlay with dpm built in. 60m2 £40. Dpm underlayThe dpm membrane will stop any moisture coming up. The quality and thickness of the underlay will depend on how flat the floor is. If it has a good flat level then I would say a 3mm underlay is fine. If it's more uneven then a thicker underlay would be more suitable.

Think I'm over thinking it just gonna get the 5mm royale sonic gold
Don't go cheap. Treadmore excel is good stuff and a lot heavier than that cheap crap foam insulation. We changed our laminate and swapped to that cheap stuff and regret not buying the decent stuff. Huge difference in temperature and a lot more movement.
Edited by: "kester76" 22nd Nov 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants