Groups

Cost for installing a mains stop cock

I have been quoted £150 for installing a mains stopcock in a house in central London. Is this cheap or expensive? For whatever reason, the house has no mains stopcock!

38 Comments

Are you sure it's not outside in the street? If you really don't have one and the plumber has to manufacture a way to stop the mains water before installing the stopcock then £150 doesn't seem unreasonable

wow, that's very expensive... once the water is off and drained it's a 10 minute job

you_gotta_be_kidding

wow, that's very expensive... once the water is off and drained it's a 10 … wow, that's very expensive... once the water is off and drained it's a 10 minute job

It's probably £130 to turn the water off and £20 to install it!

ah, you have no way at all of stopping the water, as above have you checked outside? there's usually an underground one that you need something like this to turn

Silverline MS135 Combination Stopcock Key, 1000 mm amazon.co.uk/dp/…MC4

Original Poster

japes

Are you sure it's not outside in the street? If you really don't have one … Are you sure it's not outside in the street? If you really don't have one and the plumber has to manufacture a way to stop the mains water before installing the stopcock then £150 doesn't seem unreasonable

thanks for the reply. the history is that a mains pump was installed outside the house, which had a switch to turn the water off. it had to be buried a foot underground and it got buried without an opening. unfortunately, i did not ask my plumber at the time to install a stopcock inside the house before it got buried as i did not realise the house did not have one or needed one!

how would the new plumber manufacture a way to stop the water? can he not just freeze where the pipe enters the house?

Phone around and get a few quotes.
    I had to move my main stopcock.
    One plumber told me it was impossible. Another did it for £50.

Worth running it past the water supplier. They should come out and advise you.

Original Poster

bulkybuy

Worth running it past the water supplier. They should come out and advise … Worth running it past the water supplier. They should come out and advise you.

i think it will cost more to install access to the water pump outside to turn the water off as not only was the pump buried a foot under (or maybe even 1.5 ft as i can't remember the exact depth, but i know it was deep as i had to dig the blooming hole myself), there are huge concrete slabs placed on top as it is a paved front garden.

If you are on a water meter. there will be a stopcock built onto the side of it, the plumber can shut the water of there and easily install one on your property.

mutley1

thanks for the reply. the history is that a mains pump was installed … thanks for the reply. the history is that a mains pump was installed outside the house, which had a switch to turn the water off. it had to be buried a foot underground and it got buried without an opening. unfortunately, i did not ask my plumber at the time to install a stopcock inside the house before it got buried as i did not realise the house did not have one or needed one!how would the new plumber manufacture a way to stop the water? can he not just freeze where the pipe enters the house?

​Yes, freezing is the most common method but because it's mains then the pressure will be high. He'll need to be competent and quick to do it correctly plus he'll have to be insured highly. Call around for more quotes but I'd guess they'll all be very similar

Original Poster

Fully_Legit

If you are on a water meter. there will be a stopcock built onto the side … If you are on a water meter. there will be a stopcock built onto the side of it, the plumber can shut the water of there and easily install one on your property.

the house is not metered.

The problem you've got is the central London but .... oooop North it would be £10 cash and a pint of bitter

Original Poster

japes

Yes, freezing is the most common method but because it's mains then the … Yes, freezing is the most common method but because it's mains then the pressure will be high. He'll need to be competent and quick to do it correctly plus he'll have to be insured highly. Call around for more quotes but I'd guess they'll all be very similar

so do you think that the £150 is not that expensive considering the complexity of the job? i have had quotes before for plumbing works so how would this compare to £90 for replacing the kitchen taps for example which have flexible tap connector, just so i can gauge effort.

We had ours fitted for £20 about 6 months ago (east midlands area so not London prices)

Get a couple of quotes it does seem expensive but that's why plumbers are earning an absolute fortune, around £100,000 at one of the top London companies. As an amateur who refuses to pay the prices i try and do most of the jobs myself I have changed a stop cock without switching the water off, it's doable and a professional should have no problems doing it.

Original Poster

eslick

Get a couple of quotes it does seem expensive but that's why plumbers are … Get a couple of quotes it does seem expensive but that's why plumbers are earning an absolute fortune, around £100,000 at one of the top London companies. As an amateur who refuses to pay the prices i try and do most of the jobs myself I have changed a stop cock without switching the water off, it's doable and a professional should have no problems doing it.

how do you change a stopcock without switching the water off?

Buy an Aladdin easy fit isolator and do it yourself. Never had any experience with them but look good in the videos I've seen.

Original Poster

jonesy172

Buy an Aladdin easy fit isolator and do it yourself. Never had any … Buy an Aladdin easy fit isolator and do it yourself. Never had any experience with them but look good in the videos I've seen.

i can do a little bit of DIY but i find plumbing a bit dangerous to mess with as it can go horribly wrong and the house gets flooded. is there a video on how it is fitted? i think the mains pipe is plastic that comes into the house.

mutley1

​Quickly!

Original Poster

liamf12

Quickly!

lol. water is so fast, you gotta be lighting fast! i can't think fast and neither can i do anything quickly so that is me out. X)

mutley1

You can freeze the water coming in just enough to stop the water, have to be quick though as the water melts quickly. There are professional versions and diy ones.

amazon.co.uk/Arc…kit

Original Poster

eslick

You can freeze the water coming in just enough to stop the water, have to … You can freeze the water coming in just enough to stop the water, have to be quick though as the water melts quickly. There are professional versions and diy ones. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Spray-Pipe-Freezing-Starter/dp/B001FJRUCG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495217938&sr=8-1&keywords=Pipe+freezing+kit

would this work on rubber push fit pipes?

mutley1

would this work on rubber push fit pipes?

You freeze the pipe below where you want to cut it so it should, just make sure you have all of th kit ready including the right tools to cut the pipe as it has to be done quickly and even a another can of the spray just in case it starts to defrost. I would say though that if you have never done any plumbing before get someone in, they might freeze it but at least if there is a problem they have to sort it out rather than you stressing over it

Original Poster

eslick

You freeze the pipe below where you want to cut it so it should, just … You freeze the pipe below where you want to cut it so it should, just make sure you have all of th kit ready including the right tools to cut the pipe as it has to be done quickly and even a another can of the spray just in case it starts to defrost. I would say though that if you have never done any plumbing before get someone in, they might freeze it but at least if there is a problem they have to sort it out rather than you stressing over it

i am not capable of doing this job. however, i have a curious mind and so like to understand how things work even if i can't do them myself. good to know. thanks

japes

Yes, freezing is the most common method but because it's mains then the … Yes, freezing is the most common method but because it's mains then the pressure will be high. He'll need to be competent and quick to do it correctly plus he'll have to be insured highly. Call around for more quotes but I'd guess they'll all be very similar

But as its pumped you would once the power has cut to the pump have a much lower pressure.

As for price. If they actually turn up on time and do a good job £150 is worth paying. The amount of time and effort wasted with trades once you find a good one you hold on to them.

Freeze kits can be purchased from screwfix for less than 15 quid but it doesnt mention if it will freeze plastic or not

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD

But as its pumped you would once the power has cut to the pump have a … But as its pumped you would once the power has cut to the pump have a much lower pressure. As for price. If they actually turn up on time and do a good job £150 is worth paying. The amount of time and effort wasted with trades once you find a good one you hold on to them.

Sorry. I am not explaining things very well. It is not pumped, the thing that got buried belonged to thames water and it looked like a pump as it was pretty big. It had a stop valve which you could turn the water off before it gets into the property.

I have no idea why it needed to be so big or what it was.

you could always just do it yourself with an Aladdin easyfit isolator... they're around £40 depending on pipe size and take 5 mins to fit

Original Poster

you_gotta_be_kidding

you could always just do it yourself with an Aladdin easyfit isolator... … you could always just do it yourself with an Aladdin easyfit isolator... they're around £40 depending on pipe size and take 5 mins to fit

I will google a video to see what it is. I doubt i could do it as i can only do simple jobs but it would be interesting to see what it is all about.

mutley1

i think it will cost more to install access to the water pump outside to … i think it will cost more to install access to the water pump outside to turn the water off as not only was the pump buried a foot under (or maybe even 1.5 ft as i can't remember the exact depth, but i know it was deep as i had to dig the blooming hole myself), there are huge concrete slabs placed on top as it is a paved front garden.

I had a similar problem and Yorkshire water came out and said they would shut the water off locally for free when I had someone to put the stop in. The engineer had all the maps for the stops in the area on his laptop. There was no charge for the service so worth a quick call perhaps.

mutley1

I will google a video to see what it is. I doubt i could do it as i can … I will google a video to see what it is. I doubt i could do it as i can only do simple jobs but it would be interesting to see what it is all about.

youtu.be/Cl0…9ro

Original Poster

bulkybuy

I had a similar problem and Yorkshire water came out and said they would … I had a similar problem and Yorkshire water came out and said they would shut the water off locally for free when I had someone to put the stop in. The engineer had all the maps for the stops in the area on his laptop. There was no charge for the service so worth a quick call perhaps.

That sounds great. I can call thames water and ask. However it would be difficult to co-ordinate with the plumber. No harm in enquiring i suppose.

Original Poster

you_gotta_be_kidding

https://youtu.be/Cl0ZGqhI9ro

Wow. That is so cool. I will send the video to my plumber and see what he thinks.

mutley1

That sounds great. I can call thames water and ask. However it would be … That sounds great. I can call thames water and ask. However it would be difficult to co-ordinate with the plumber. No harm in enquiring i suppose.

Sure, give it a try. In the end we found an internal tap hidden behind the kitchen cabinet. We had looked hundreds of times but didn't see it but a eagle eyed tradesman spotted it. For some reason the kitchen had been fitted over it with no hole made for access. Sounds an obvious place to check but thought I'd just mention it. Best of luck

Original Poster

bulkybuy

Sure, give it a try. In the end we found an internal tap hidden behind … Sure, give it a try. In the end we found an internal tap hidden behind the kitchen cabinet. We had looked hundreds of times but didn't see it but a eagle eyed tradesman spotted it. For some reason the kitchen had been fitted over it with no hole made for access. Sounds an obvious place to check but thought I'd just mention it. Best of luck

I had the plumber round to do some work and he looked every where and could not find the stopcock so he had to freeze the water to fit the new bath. I asked him to quote for fitting the mains stopcock and he came back with £150.

£80 tops !

Can vouch for an Aladin tap kit.

I am a bit handy but the idea of this kit made me anxious but so did the ridiculous quotes we were getting to install one, the top of the bunch £250!

I was worried I would bend or break the pipe whilst installing and tightening the inner bolt along with the obvious concerns of when and how much it would leak.

Was installed 2 years ago and have had zero problems.

Took less than 5 minutes to do and seems to have worked perfectly.

If you have access to the pipe, an electric drill and a bit of spare time. I highly recommend this option
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Well Done Turkey, Education improvement1444
      2. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…1427
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767106
      4. word association Game73744435

See more discussions