Cost for replacing fence panels

Posted 22nd MayEdited by:"mutley1"
I am looking to get a fence replaced in London and I am asking around for quotes and got one back to say that he charges £160 to £200 per 6ft by 6ft fence panels, where the posts and gravel board are concrete. He charges £100 to £120 per panel if the posts and gravel board are wood instead of concrete.

I prefer the concrete posts and gravel board as I am looking to make the fence very secure to stop the neighbour's dog pushing it over and to make it as maintenance free as possible.

This includes removing the existing wooden fence panel but there is further charge for removal of the existing panels from the property.

This sounds steep to me so wonder if anyone have any idea if this is reasonable or too much?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

46 Comments
Get more than one quote. Then decide for yourself, on what to do
as per usual just wait for another 2 or 3 quotes; those will provide your answer
My mate charges a tenner but he doesn't live in London
Looking through your posts every quote you ever get no matter what the job seems to high get a few quotes and see but cheapest is not always best.
tardytortoise22/05/2020 12:49

as per usual just wait for another 2 or 3 quotes; those will provide your …as per usual just wait for another 2 or 3 quotes; those will provide your answer

it can take more than 3 quotes to get a grip on the price. if i can get an understanding of how much is reasonable i can continue to get more quotes or just accept the few that I am getting through. it is always good to know how much to expect ball park yourself when getting quotes, then you will know who is over priced totally and who is just going to do a shoddy job as their quote is too low.

not many builders are quoting at the moment as they all seem to be extremely busy because of the lockdown. you would think it was the other way round but not so for builders.
mutley122/05/2020 13:11

it can take more than 3 quotes to get a grip on the price. if i can get …it can take more than 3 quotes to get a grip on the price. if i can get an understanding of how much is reasonable i can continue to get more quotes or just accept the few that I am getting through. it is always good to know how much to expect ball park yourself when getting quotes, then you will know who is over priced totally and who is just going to do a shoddy job as their quote is too low.not many builders are quoting at the moment as they all seem to be extremely busy because of the lockdown. you would think it was the other way round but not so for builders.

OK - but cost ain't everything
Edited by: "tardytortoise" 22nd May
tje197822/05/2020 13:10

Looking through your posts every quote you ever get no matter what the job …Looking through your posts every quote you ever get no matter what the job seems to high get a few quotes and see but cheapest is not always best.

that is an incorrect statement. some of my posts have actually queried whether some of the quotes I received are too low as then that will often mean shoddy work.
tardytortoise22/05/2020 13:13

OK - but cost ain't everything

Cost is everything as I don't want to pay over the odds but I don't want to accept quotes that are too cheap as then more than likely I will end up with a bunch of cowboys. There has to be a balance where the cost is reasonable and the workmanship is acceptable. Trying to get to this balance is not easy but if I can understand how long a job will take or how much work is involved, I can get a better idea of how much something should cost to do and will be able to work out if I need to continue looking for quotes and which ones to dismiss as too high or too low.
Getting materials seems to be the issue currently. Apparently plaster is in very short supply.
So
mutley122/05/2020 13:19

Cost is everything as I don't want to pay over the odds but I don't want …Cost is everything as I don't want to pay over the odds but I don't want to accept quotes that are too cheap as then more than likely I will end up with a bunch of cowboys. There has to be a balance where the cost is reasonable and the workmanship is acceptable. Trying to get to this balance is not easy but if I can understand how long a job will take or how much work is involved, I can get a better idea of how much something should cost to do and will be able to work out if I need to continue looking for quotes and which ones to dismiss as too high or too low.

So, now that I know this and probably every contractor knowing this also about the way many people think the same way, I wonder how they approach pricing up a job? A really good cowboy is brilliant at providing quotes which 8 out of 10 punters would find acceptable. You cannot beat local word of mouth recommendations. All quotes, once received (not before) need to be checked against a random sample of previous jobs carried out - not just the contractors mates.
You clearly do know how to go about things, but don't think coming on here so early in the process is the best way to go.
You might want to create an account on Nextdoor or their mobile app (nextdoor.co.uk/) and asking people in the 'hood if they know of anybody they'd recommend that can do the work.
Edited by: "TopTrump" 22nd May
Is that labour only? A decent 6x6 panel is £30 minimum and then factor in 9ft posts, £25 for 4 bags of postcrete (2 for each post) and a gravel board.

I'd get a few quotes for the entire job, rather than per panel.

We had quotes recently for the same feather panels, concrete posts, concrete gravel boards and postcrete and the materials alone were £2500 (Sussex). Fitting was about the same again!
darlodge22/05/2020 14:36

Is that labour only? A decent 6x6 panel is £30 minimum and then factor in …Is that labour only? A decent 6x6 panel is £30 minimum and then factor in 9ft posts, £25 for 4 bags of postcrete (2 for each post) and a gravel board.I'd get a few quotes for the entire job, rather than per panel. We had quotes recently for the same feather panels, concrete posts, concrete gravel boards and postcrete and the materials alone were £2500 (Sussex). Fitting was about the same again!

thanks, this is really helpful information. how many panelss did you have? were they 6ft x 6ft?

the quote is for labour and materials.

the quote that I have at the moment only gave cost per panel and he says that if I feel this is reasonable then he will come round and price the job accurately as he only has photos of the job at the moment. I need to work out if it is reasonable to proceed as no point in getting him round if his pricing is way out as he is not local.
Edited by: "mutley1" 22nd May
darlodge22/05/2020 14:36

Is that labour only? A decent 6x6 panel is £30 minimum and then factor in …Is that labour only? A decent 6x6 panel is £30 minimum and then factor in 9ft posts, £25 for 4 bags of postcrete (2 for each post) and a gravel board.I'd get a few quotes for the entire job, rather than per panel. We had quotes recently for the same feather panels, concrete posts, concrete gravel boards and postcrete and the materials alone were £2500 (Sussex). Fitting was about the same again!

unless the fence is half a mile long, I think you got ripped off.
Concrete posts all the time (unless it a a quick fix to sell).
If you're going for regular fence panels make sure they have 3 vertical strength batons, not the usual 2. They will last longer.

Checkout hit and miss panels. Gives a nice effect and stands up to the wind better too. OK costs a bit more per panel but not so much
Edited by: "u664541" 22nd May
u66454122/05/2020 15:51

Concrete posts all the time (unless it a a quick fix to sell).If you're …Concrete posts all the time (unless it a a quick fix to sell).If you're going for regular fence panels make sure they have 3 vertical strength batons, not the usual 2. They will last longer.

I am looking for something like this where you can slot the panels in yourself in future as the concrete posts have a groove for you to do this. it will save future maintenance costs. what sort of panels do you recommend? have you got a pic of what they look like?

JimboParrot22/05/2020 13:27

Getting materials seems to be the issue currently. Apparently plaster is …Getting materials seems to be the issue currently. Apparently plaster is in very short supply.

i was thinking also getting rid of waste may be difficult in the lockdown. or at least expensive.
adamspencer9522/05/2020 15:46

unless the fence is half a mile long, I think you got ripped off.

I can't remember exactly but think it was 23 6ft panels. We didn't have the money so made do for now, I didn't think it was too bad until I realised it was material only!
mutley122/05/2020 15:59

I am looking for something like this where you can slot the panels in …I am looking for something like this where you can slot the panels in yourself in future as the concrete posts have a groove for you to do this. it will save future maintenance costs. what sort of panels do you recommend? have you got a pic of what they look like?[Image]

Dunno about recommend but here's some examples.

Standard 2 baton
40838135.jpg
3 baton
40838135.jpg
Hit and miss
40838135.jpgThey are £57 each (min 3 pack = £171)
Edited by: "u664541" 22nd May
u66454122/05/2020 16:10

Dunno about recommend but here's some examples. Standard 2 baton[Image] 3 …Dunno about recommend but here's some examples. Standard 2 baton[Image] 3 baton[Image] Hit and miss[Image] They are £57 each (min 3 pack = £171)

thanks. i see what you mean about the number of battons. i never paid attention to that before. good advice.
i have also seen feathered panels like this, and I think they are more expensive but I don't know if that is simply because they look nicer or whether that is because they are more sturdy?

Yes, you want closeboard panel like above. It will last longer.
mutley122/05/2020 16:14

thanks. i see what you mean about the number of battons. i never paid …thanks. i see what you mean about the number of battons. i never paid attention to that before. good advice.i have also seen feathered panels like this, and I think they are more expensive but I don't know if that is simply because they look nicer or whether that is because they are more sturdy?[Image]

Sorry, don't know. Looks nice though.
Agree with the ease of replacing panels that have concrete posts, 2 minute job including setting/starting/stopping the stopwatch.
Besides the panels, also check the quality of the concrete posts and gravel boards you're getting, they do vary between suppliers.
Mine came from B&Q about 3 years ago and they look nothing like the ones in your photos above, the surface is a lot rougher and darker grey, I think they were made using a coarser mix of concrete.
Delbert.Grady22/05/2020 16:18

Besides the panels, also check the quality of the concrete posts and …Besides the panels, also check the quality of the concrete posts and gravel boards you're getting, they do vary between suppliers.Mine came from B&Q about 3 years ago and they look nothing like the ones in your photos above, the surface is a lot rougher and darker grey, I think they were made using a coarser mix of concrete.

it is a rental property so i am not too fussed about the looks of the new fence. i need it to sturdy more than anything as the neighbour's dog may try to attack it!
u66454122/05/2020 16:17

Sorry, don't know. Looks nice though.Agree with the ease of replacing …Sorry, don't know. Looks nice though.Agree with the ease of replacing panels that have concrete posts, 2 minute job including setting/starting/stopping the stopwatch.

oddly enough i prefer the look of the overlap panels as they are called and don't like the look of these feathered edge panels. but i would consider them if they are more sturdy.
mutley122/05/2020 16:14

thanks. i see what you mean about the number of battons. i never paid …thanks. i see what you mean about the number of battons. i never paid attention to that before. good advice.i have also seen feathered panels like this, and I think they are more expensive but I don't know if that is simply because they look nicer or whether that is because they are more sturdy?[Image]

What does the other side look like? Is it the same?
Read somewhere/urban myth that the good side has to be facing your neighbour (if you own the fence).

Happy to be corrected.
u66454122/05/2020 16:22

What does the other side look like? Is it the same?Read somewhere/urban …What does the other side look like? Is it the same?Read somewhere/urban myth that the good side has to be facing your neighbour (if you own the fence).Happy to be corrected.

we could get into a very long discussion about which side of the fence i am going to have i have read something about who should have the good side, but i think in some fences, it is easier to install the fence on your side and so this determine how it looks. for the concrete posts with slots, this is not an issue so i am free to have the nicer side

however, if i install the lap panels, then it may be better i have the uglier side as their dog could jump at the panel and loosen the boards if they have the ugly side!
Edited by: "mutley1" 22nd May
Wood panels £20 each and upwards depending on type u want 8ft posts £9 each postcrete 2 x £5 per post and gravel board £2-£3 each these are the prices up here to give u a rough idea on how much u are getting ripped off on material
Scotland131422/05/2020 16:32

Wood panels £20 each and upwards depending on type u want 8ft posts £9 e …Wood panels £20 each and upwards depending on type u want 8ft posts £9 each postcrete 2 x £5 per post and gravel board £2-£3 each these are the prices up here to give u a rough idea on how much u are getting ripped off on material

i did have a quick look at how much wooden posts costs in comparison to concrete posts and they seem to be similarly priced, which surprises me as i would have thought that the concrete posts would cost more.

so i was surprised that the quote i have seem to have a big difference between the wooden fence posts and the concrete fence posts with correspnding gravel boards as he is quoting £60 to £80 more per panel for the concrete ones. this includes labour so unless the concrete posts and gravel boards take a lot more work to put up than their wooden equivalent.
mutley122/05/2020 16:38

i did have a quick look at how much wooden posts costs in comparison to …i did have a quick look at how much wooden posts costs in comparison to concrete posts and they seem to be similarly priced, which surprises me as i would have thought that the concrete posts would cost more. so i was surprised that the quote i have seem to have a big difference between the wooden fence posts and the concrete fence posts with correspnding gravel boards as he is quoting £60 to £80 more per panel for the concrete ones. this includes labour so unless the concrete posts and gravel boards take a lot more work to put up than their wooden equivalent.

I will give you a clue as to why the quotes are higher for concrete. Firstly concrete is a two man job because they happen to be heavier by a long shot. Secondly the fencer will buy all the wood from one source & get a better price on the posts & boards.
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 22nd May

What does the other side look like? Is it the same?Read somewhere/urban …What does the other side look like? Is it the same?Read somewhere/urban myth that the good side has to be facing your neighbour (if you own the fence).Happy to be corrected.

You're right that it used to be convention to have the good side facing your neighbour, but thats all it was, just a tradition, there's nothing in law about it.
These days people generally adopt the attitude that "I paid for the fence so I'm having the good side" which is quite understandable!
Willy_Wonka22/05/2020 16:43

I will give you a clue as to why the quotes are higher for concrete. …I will give you a clue as to why the quotes are higher for concrete. Firstly concrete is a two man job because they happen to be heavier by a long shot. Secondly the fencer will buy all the wood from one source & get a better price on the posts & boards.

yeah, i did think if concrete, the guy would need another bloke with him but i would have thought putting up a fence would need two people anyway? the fence panels are big so one person won't be able to hold it by himself while he knocks the panels into the posts or can he?
mutley122/05/2020 17:00

yeah, i did think if concrete, the guy would need another bloke with him …yeah, i did think if concrete, the guy would need another bloke with him but i would have thought putting up a fence would need two people anyway? the fence panels are big so one person won't be able to hold it by himself while he knocks the panels into the posts or can he?

Yes it can be done with only one person. It’s just more efficient with 2 people.
YouAreMySolskjaer22/05/2020 22:20

Yes it can be done with only one person. It’s just more efficient with 2 p …Yes it can be done with only one person. It’s just more efficient with 2 people.

That would take stabilizers to hold the concrete posts up while the mix sets. More work.

You are correct the good side should go to your neighbours side unfortunately
mutley122/05/2020 16:24

we could get into a very long discussion about which side of the fence i …we could get into a very long discussion about which side of the fence i am going to have i have read something about who should have the good side, but i think in some fences, it is easier to install the fence on your side and so this determine how it looks. for the concrete posts with slots, this is not an issue so i am free to have the nicer side however, if i install the lap panels, then it may be better i have the uglier side as their dog could jump at the panel and loosen the boards if they have the ugly side!

This is why you should install the nice side to your neighbours side unfortunately and it is to stop people jumping over into your garden
cliosport6523/05/2020 11:04

This is why you should install the nice side to your neighbours side …This is why you should install the nice side to your neighbours side unfortunately and it is to stop people jumping over into your garden

yeah, same logic may have to apply to the neighbour's dog! i think some fences have the battons going horizontally so it gives somewhere for people to get a foothold, therefore having the battons on your side stop people being able to climb the fence panels easily. the lap panels have the battons going down vertically so they can't do this and won't work for thieves trying to climb in.
40848280.jpgNot sure if it helps as I never got panels or gravel board but...
100ft - 6ft high closed gap single slats.
22 - 8ft wooden posts concreted in.
Roughly 36 - 6.6ft wide rails.
Roughly 320 - 6ft high slats.
£1200 overall.
Labour £200 per day - 2 days to complete.
£800 material.
If you take away the labour it cost £48 per 6ft for all materials used. £72 per 6ft including labour.
Edited by: "Cloeeez" 23rd May
Cloeeez23/05/2020 14:11

[Image] Not sure if it helps as I never got panels or gravel board …[Image] Not sure if it helps as I never got panels or gravel board but...100ft - 6ft high closed gap single slats.22 - 8ft wooden posts concreted in.Roughly 36 - 6.6ft wide rails.Roughly 320 - 6ft high slats.£1200 overall.Labour £200 per day - 2 days to complete.£800 material.If you take away the labour it cost £48 per 6ft for all materials used. £72 per 6ft including labour.

that's a really big fence! you have put up your own fence instead of sharing with the neighnour? that is very unusual.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions