Expired

cost of a drop kerb

Found 28th Mar 2016
Width just under 1.8 m and five stones width in the Leeds area
Community Updates
Ask
23 Comments
are you asking the price for putting them in and fixing the tar?
Original Poster
Yes, got go ahead from council so wondering about price.ta
Doesn't it have to be a contractor that's pre-approved by the council?
Original Poster
I think so something to do with million pounds insurance etc.
5-600 to rip out old kerbs, lay new ones, lower footpath and patch the tar.
5-600 to rip out old kerbs, lay new ones, lower footpath and patch the tar.
I recently paid Wirral council £1800 to do 2m.. it's not cheap
tonymcg

​council will be dearer than say getting a couple of boys to do it as a homer.

Comment

tonymcg

Ours from same council 5 years back again 2m was £1000
Original Poster
Had a friend of a friend quote 700 seemed a lot but probably a fair price. The council do not do the work but charge a reasonable fee of 40 then another 20quid to approve it.will try getting another quote of a council approved contracter. Big thank you for all your replys .
If you don't use a council approved contractor they will want to inspect the work done if not up to scratch you will have to pay an approved contractor to make it right. So best get an approved contractor from the start.
Banned
spicerboy

If you don't use a council approved contractor they will want to inspect … If you don't use a council approved contractor they will want to inspect the work done if not up to scratch you will have to pay an approved contractor to make it right. So best get an approved contractor from the start.

^^^^ this

If not up to standard & the contractor is not approved it really is going to cost you a fortune.
We were lucky. They were removing all the slabs and tarmacing the pavement last year along with all the curb stones and relaying the road. We spoke nicely to the team and gave them £50 and a crate of beer and they did it for us. As for permission we didn't need it as it was technically the council doing the work and was there mistake in dropping the kerb. Also the council are unlikely to spot their own mistake and come and make it a raised kerb again. Then again a few houses down our road just put sacks of concrete in the road to help getting up the kerb.

On the next street to us a contracted went along and sprayed the road for what was going where then a couple of days later they started work. In the mean time people went out with spray paint and copied the markings of the people that paid to have their kerb dropped and ended up with their own kerbs being dropped for free. Although I think they worked out the combined cost of the 3 people that pod to have their kerb dropped and split the costs between the people that didn't pay so everyone ended up paying about £150 each for the work.
I know this to be true as I have recently had mine done £180 for a highways inspection then district council to see if planning permission needed.
we fitted our drive just before the local council relayed the tarmac kerbs in my street. The blokes doing the job knocked on the door and asked if we wanted the kerb dropping for a few hundred quid. Told them no thanks. They had to drop the kerb anyway as we were the only ones with a driveway so got it for free
centurion

we fitted our drive just before the local council relayed the tarmac … we fitted our drive just before the local council relayed the tarmac kerbs in my street. The blokes doing the job knocked on the door and asked if we wanted the kerb dropping for a few hundred quid. Told them no thanks. They had to drop the kerb anyway as we were the only ones with a driveway so got it for free

Very lucky mine cost 2k
Mine was suppose to cost 900 they came and did the job but have not asked for the money yet been 4 years. I will pay when they ask
Banned
waynescrabtree3

Yes, got go ahead from council so wondering about price.ta

We had it done last year in york, had to pay £80 to the council for the list of contractors to do the job (after approval) then had to actually find 1 to do the job, when we did he then took 3 months to actually turn up, dismissing calls and making appointments and not turning up! When he eventually got some of his workers round to do it, it took 2 days to rip it up and do the kerb (in the first place he said 2 weeks!) 1 of the workers said he knows people have to use someone in that list so he doesnt care how long he makes you wait or anything! Cost £300 by the end of it all. Could have cost just materials because my other halfs a builder but was told if it was ever used in something official ie crash/accident and found out it wasnt a listed contractor it would have been ripped up and we could have got a fine!
it would need to be someone really incompetent doing the job for the council not to pass it, going by the standard of some of the work that gets done on our roads and pavements.
fredstar786

Mine was suppose to cost 900 they came and did the job but have not asked … Mine was suppose to cost 900 they came and did the job but have not asked for the money yet been 4 years. I will pay when they ask

I had to pay in advance for mine
Can anyone who's had it done recommend anyone in leeds please
mod
bigphilis

Can anyone who's had it done recommend anyone in leeds please

Hi bigphilis
This thread is almost a year old now; you'll be better starting a new one

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions