Groups
    EXPIRED

Cost of bills in a 2 bedroom flat/house?!

I have my own flat in the city centre but I've never lived in it, it's always been rented out and I currently rent a place which is all bills included. Since getting a new job at the start of the year I'm fed up of the drive there and want to rent something closer until I sell my flat.
    How much do you spend on bills per month, including water, council tax, electric and/or gas etc? I don't need an exact cost, just to the nearest £100 - something to give me a rough estimate! I have around £1000-1200 per month to spend so can't start looking at places until I know my price range!
    All of my friends house share with 3+ people or live with parents, and both my parents live in much larger places so I can't get an idea from them!
    The place in question will be in Birmingham... other than that, I can't say much more!!
    Thanks!

37 Comments

Think the answer to your question will vary big time- some places are cheaper than others, some properties more expensive than others, posters on here have children, so their costs will be higher, etc.

Is your flat that you own not close to where you work now?

Edited by: "bossyboots" 25th Aug 2010

Original Poster

bossyboots

Think the answer to your question will vary big time- some places are … Think the answer to your question will vary big time- some places are cheaper than others, some properties more expensive than other, posters on here have children, so their costs will be higher, etc.Is your flat that you own not close to where you work now?

Unfortunately not! :-(
    I guess if just people who live alone or possibly with a partner could let me know how much they pay, it might give me a good idea. Obviously those with children will have far higher costs!

baffledsalmon

Unfortunately not! :-(I guess if just people who live alone or possibly … Unfortunately not! :-(I guess if just people who live alone or possibly with a partner could let me know how much they pay, it might give me a good idea. Obviously those with children will have far higher costs!

Good luck anyway! Nothing better than having your own place and your privacy

cant help much with birmingham but in dundee a decent flat in the city center is about 250 a month rent, but its dundee lol

Depeneds on what is gas(if anything) and what is electric.

My friend thought he was being overcharged because he was paying £1.61 standing charge for a property that had storage heaters that were NEVER on his entire tenancy and when he rang the first guy said he was being overcharged and he waited a few weeks and when it didtn go down he rang back and told it was correct as they charge more for properties with storage heating and it was his own fault he didnt use them so why should they change his tariff.

So bear that in mind, so if you have storage heating in your property there will be like a 40-60p a week extra standing charge, and his day rate was also higher than someone who had a set rate ,eter fpr everything.

The more appliances that are gas the generally the cheaper your bills since gas heating is cheap in comparison and more efficent but means 2 standing charges.

When I had my last flat and had a undercounter fridge, and was able to run a desktop pc and a tv at same time spent about £5 a week.

At my current place I am using a full sized(in fact large) fridge freezer, skyHD box, desktop pc(a powerful one) often 2 monitors at once, using a slow cooker a few times a week for like 10 hours and spending £6-£7 a week

However I had 2 neighbours who are working over summer(are students) who run about 3 pcs 24/7 and one week can spend £15 the other £20.

i do realise my above post is of no help or relevance, i just thought id share

Banned

You have your own place?

http://www.cracked.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/excited2.jpg

micoo

i do realise my above post is of no help or relevance, i just thought id … i do realise my above post is of no help or relevance, i just thought id share

Btw have you graduated yet or are you going into your third year? as it will be freshers soon.

Original Poster

vibeone

You have your own place?

VB1.. You just shared this photo with me on MSN... We discussed it was your new favourite photo and I'm very happy for you

baffledsalmon

VB1.. You just shared this photo with me on MSN... We discussed it was … VB1.. You just shared this photo with me on MSN... We discussed it was your new favourite photo and I'm very happy for you

hahahaha!! he is just NUTS!!!! reckon we will see this pic a lot more over the next few days X)

baffledsalmon

VB1.. You just shared this photo with me on MSN... We discussed it was … VB1.. You just shared this photo with me on MSN... We discussed it was your new favourite photo and I'm very happy for you

He's lucky to have your MSN as you hardly seem to be here much these days.

ryouga

BS get your coat .....................:D

Banned

inb4 everyone gets jealous of me having salmon girls msn, and indeed panties.

heres a pic of me with a friend when I got her msn...

http://www.cracked.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/excited2.jpg

Original Poster

ryouga

Oi oi! Anyone get the feeling they're being watched?!

ryouga

Btw have you graduated yet or are you going into your third year? as it … Btw have you graduated yet or are you going into your third year? as it will be freshers soon.

will be going into 3rd year, but might change course which would mean second year again, looking forward to freshers, gonna be good

im still absolutely appauled at the lack of effort the guy on the left is putting into that celebration, wheres the passion? he should be taking classes from the guy on the right

I live in a council flat and I budget £25 for elec, £30 for gas as I have gas central heating, £18 for water as I have a water meter. No idea what your council tax would be though. Then you have phone line rental, broadband, rent, insurance. I over budget and get some money back in time for xmas. Hope that helps.

When i lived in a private flat, i would say it was about the same.
    Edited by: "fern37" 25th Aug 2010

Banned

micoo

im still absolutely appauled at the lack of effort the guy on the left is … im still absolutely appauled at the lack of effort the guy on the left is putting into that celebration, wheres the passion? he should be taking classes from the guy on the right

thats my mate. he was just celebrating with me. did he not get the msn.

baffledsalmon

Nah just had a laugh chatting with you before via pm before you got suspended once then chatted a few times on threads but then you never seem to be on many threads, that or I just dont see you on the threads I read.

Though it would be nice to chat to just about anyone from HUKD instead of being bored as it feels like everyone is having their own private conversations lol.

baffledsalmon

I dont get the feeling - I know am being watched by a certain someone!!!! But at least your stalker is male X)

Original Poster

ryouga

Nah just had a laugh chatting with you before via pm before you got … Nah just had a laugh chatting with you before via pm before you got suspended.

Did we, and did I?!

^^^^ he right salmon youve not been around much, you ability to inadvertently wind up poor people has been greatly missed X)

Banned

Everything I dooooooo i doooo it for yooooooooooo.

This is just so romantic. i'm in tears.

baffledsalmon

Did we, and did I?!

Lol you always used to tell me not to worry about my weight and to feel better about myself and such.

Original Poster

ryouga

Lol you always used to tell me not to worry about my weight and to feel … Lol you always used to tell me not to worry about my weight and to feel better about myself and such.

Aren't I nice.

Banned

ryouga

Lol you always used to tell me not to worry about my weight and to feel … Lol you always used to tell me not to worry about my weight and to feel better about myself and such.

Oh god.....

I'm voting fish girl for women of the year.

Banned

see at this point im tempted to go off on one and tell people how fishy aint really bad, and people have misunderstood her etc n that shes sound but....

.. i dont really care enough to be honest.

i live in a 4 bed detached house by myself in birmingham and i roughly pay

£100 a month council tax
    £35 per month for gas and electric
    £30 for water

but i rarely watch tv and turn on the heating lol

Banned

ryouga

Depeneds on what is gas(if anything) and what is electric.My friend … Depeneds on what is gas(if anything) and what is electric.My friend thought he was being overcharged because he was paying £1.61 standing charge for a property that had storage heaters that were NEVER on his entire tenancy and when he rang the first guy said he was being overcharged and he waited a few weeks and when it didtn go down he rang back and told it was correct as they charge more for properties with storage heating and it was his own fault he didnt use them so why should they change his tariff.So bear that in mind, so if you have storage heating in your property there will be like a 40-60p a week extra standing charge, and his day rate was also higher than someone who had a set rate ,eter fpr everything.The more appliances that are gas the generally the cheaper your bills since gas heating is cheap in comparison and more efficent but means 2 standing charges.When I had my last flat and had a undercounter fridge, and was able to run a desktop pc and a tv at same time spent about £5 a week.At my current place I am using a full sized(in fact large) fridge freezer, skyHD box, desktop pc(a powerful one) often 2 monitors at once, using a slow cooker a few times a week for like 10 hours and spending £6-£7 a weekHowever I had 2 neighbours who are working over summer(are students) who run about 3 pcs 24/7 and one week can spend £15 the other £20.

I seriously doubt any electricity standing charge varies on whether you have storage heaters or not!

has a 2 bed house in Leeds centre -
    pay about 250 a month for gas/elec/water/tax altho my gas is on meter and i pay quarterly elec..
    90 for council tax and 50 water rate - hope this helps

csiman

I seriously doubt any electricity standing charge varies on whether you … I seriously doubt any electricity standing charge varies on whether you have storage heaters or not!

Thats what he was told, and considering I was sitting beside him at the time and could hear the conversation I heard it all, they said there was 3 rates, peak, off peak and a seperate one for heating.

He was with Scottish Power.

So if there wasnt a higher standing charge then its strange he was paying about 60-70p more than my standing charge in my place!

I live in a 2 bed flat with my wife our bills come upto about £350
    £15 water
    £50 electric
    £100 Service Charge/ground rent
    £100 council tax
    £60 for sky, broadband, line rental
    £30 insurance

muffin247

i live in a 4 bed detached house by myself in birmingham and i roughly … i live in a 4 bed detached house by myself in birmingham and i roughly pay£100 a month council tax£35 per month for gas and electric£30 for waterbut i rarely watch tv and turn on the heating lol

Thats cheap compared to what im paying...and i only live in a 2 bed apartment

I would think you are roughly looking at per month:
    £100 council tax
    £20 water
    £60 gas and electric
    £60 sky, phone line, bradband
    £20 contents insurance
    £15 tv licence

2 bed 2 bath flat for 2 people

electric £34
    water- they havent sent us a bill yet
    broadband, line rental and sky- £40
    council tax- free for student not sure about OH yet but we're band B

Banned

I love how so many people consider Sky a unavoidable bill like water/electricity

vibeone

I love how so many people consider Sky a unavoidable bill like … I love how so many people consider Sky a unavoidable bill like water/electricity

I wasnt actually planning on getting sky cos im quite happy with freeview but it was the cheapest deal for me, broadband in my area is expensive
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sonos says let us spy or your stereo will not work77
      2. Jeremy Corbyn #traingate1317
      3. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4522113
      4. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…26119

See more discussions