Cost of boarding a loft

Posted 31st Aug 2019
Hi all,

I’ve had a quote to board out our loft to create extra storage space in our new house. The quote is to install loft legs and board 84sqm with 18mm chip board, install a telescopic ladder and fit a tube light - a total cost of £3700.

Seems a bit excessive to me, has anyone had a loft boarded recently? What did you pay? Obviously I will be getting more quotes before making a decision.

We are in the midlands
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

16 Comments
I helped my mate, 2 years ago on a ten year old house.( never seen the loft legs ).
He replaced the fibreglass insulation with board insulation to save height. He put in noggins I think he called then.
To stiffen the joists. Then chip board for the floor and insulation then plaster board on the sides. His brother fitted recessed led lights and 4 sockets. We fitted the ladder,Then had it plastered. I think the materials were about £1000.
It took us 2 full days and one day for the plasters.
I was paid in food and beer..
I think in total it cost £1600. Give or take £100.
Get another quote
That is ridiculously expensive unless you live in a castle. All that apart from putting in a light i did myself two years ago. I didn't go right into the eaves, just the usable space but the materials probably only cost me about £300. Loft stilts are £15 a dozen and boards £8 for a pack of three in b&q. Self tapping screws are about £7 for 300 in screwfix. It isn't a pleasant job and fitting the stilts is quite fiddly but it isn't hard. Took me a couple of days to board out a four bedroom house by myself and I'm a very small middle aged lady. They're taking you for a ride quoting £3700.
As said above, get a few more quotes...

I've had 3 diffrent jobs quoted recently and have been finding that a few have made comment about the size of my house (A semi, not a castle) .... they then come back to me with a quote which is often £750 to £1000 more.
I paid 10 grand ... FFS!
zworld31/08/2019 19:32

I paid 10 grand ... FFS!

Do you sell day visit tickets to your castle?
Mental. Did my own. Not difficult just a rubbish job.
deleted1471098
zworld31/08/2019 19:32

I paid 10 grand ... FFS!

They saw you coming!
I paid £100 for handy man to cut hatch and put ladder up. Ladder I got from eBay for £45, boarding I got from building merchants about £60. I bought a cheap cordless drill and and jigsaw from Argos about £40. Did the rest myself...
Bargainhead31/08/2019 20:47

I paid £100 for handy man to cut hatch and put ladder up. Ladder I got …I paid £100 for handy man to cut hatch and put ladder up. Ladder I got from eBay for £45, boarding I got from building merchants about £60. I bought a cheap cordless drill and and jigsaw from Argos about £40. Did the rest myself...

Is there a guide one should follow or can you just do whatever you think works? Is this good enough? diy.com/ide…art is a jigsaw really necessary?
I just chucked all the extra insulation under the eaves (was about 12") and boarded on top of the joists (with about 4" of insulation). Didn't cost too much, ladder and loft hatch were about £100. I looked at the stilts but didn't think it would be as stable or solid so decided against them, also I'd lose some height.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 31st Aug 2019
dcx_badass31/08/2019 22:16

I just chucked all the extra insulation under the eaves (was about 12") …I just chucked all the extra insulation under the eaves (was about 12") and boarded on top of the joists (with about 4" of insulation). Didn't cost too much, ladder and loft hatch were about £100. I looked at the stilts but didn't think it would be as stable or solid so decided against them, also I'd lose some height.

the stilts are very sturdy. My floor is as solid as a rock. I put them in because it's a new house with 12" insulation and it was not recommended to squash it down and screw into the joists. The main problem was that the insulation was run in two different directions and rooting about in there to find the joists and screw the stilts to them was a right faff .
MadeDixonsCry31/08/2019 21:33

Is there a guide one should follow or can you just do whatever you think …Is there a guide one should follow or can you just do whatever you think works? Is this good enough? https://www.diy.com/ideas-advice/how-to-board-a-loft/CC_npcart_1300020.art is a jigsaw really necessary?

That guides ok, my loft already had the insulation down, so I worked out how many boards I’d need, then tried laying them out in different positions till I got the one what would take least cutting to fit. Once they were all cut and linked together I screwed to joists. You could use a normal saw but would take much longer and you won’t get as straight lines, well I didn’t hence why I bought a jigsaw..

i would get some need pads and a dust mask...
Edited by: "Bargainhead" 1st Sep 2019
I did a third of my loft when I first moved in here ten years ago.

An easy enough job over a few nights.

Even fitting the ladder wasn't too bad.

It probably cost me about £150 including the ladder.

Would have been around £300 to do the whole thing but a third was more than enough for storage.

I hung two tarps like curtains to separate it out from the rest of the loft to keep the insulation dust out and it works very well.
Moved into mine and it was already done

Had pull down ladder, light switch and tube lighting .the loft is boarded so it’s huge storage area

Very handy
Blinking heck that quote is excessive , we had ours done a couple of years back , similar job to yours , although I think we may have had thicker boarding [ it was done to a standard that we could use if we decided to convert the loft into a room later on . Had two lights fitted , no electrics up there at all before . Went for an expensive wooden ladder as I preferred the stability . Was definitely under £1k in total somewhere around 750 I think .
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants