1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
Top comments

DexMorgan10 m ago

Don't forget full sky sports and movies for those on benefits

Don't forget Daily Mail on your list.
32 Comments

Where do you live? Most important information.

Original Poster

catbeans6 m ago

Where do you live? Most important information.

west sussex

Insurances, household cleaning items (washing powder/soap/shampoo/bleach) etc, clothing, if you have kids school dinners, uniforms etc.

Clothes
Entertainment
Replacing things that break
Holidays
Birthday presents etc
Sky/virgin tv
Savings
List is endless.

DexMorgan10 m ago

Don't forget Daily Mail on your list.

Work lunches, pension contributions, household goods

Hobbies

Pets (food, insurance/vet costs etc)

Toiletries, gym membership, haircuts.....

Parking

Dentists, all the additional fees that go with renting, birthday presents, Christmas.

Original Poster

thanks for replies currently just looking for essentials, doing a case study on living on a budget

whelan1895 h, 30 m ago

thanks for replies currently just looking for essentials, doing a case …thanks for replies currently just looking for essentials, doing a case study on living on a budget

you should make a case study about those living on a dole in a 3 bed, with 48inch flat tv, xbox and ps4 + 2 holidays a year vs those who pay for that (and have to rent, go to work etc...) now that would be interesting one.

whelan1895 h, 50 m ago

thanks for replies currently just looking for essentials, doing a case …thanks for replies currently just looking for essentials, doing a case study on living on a budget

You said essentials, but you have tv licence on your list?

delusion4 m ago

Whats so difficult to understand, for the majority of the UK this is true

Dannyrobbo45 m ago

Whats so difficult to understand, for the majority of the UK this is true

No its not. Don't be silly.

delusion1 h, 26 m ago

this depends on the OPs definition of 'cost of living'

i.e. is it the absolute bare essentials

or cost to maintain a relatively good standard of living compared with the 'acceptable' standard for the UK

or somewhere inbetween

or somewhere higher

delusion40 m ago

No its not. Don't be silly.

For the majority of normal families in the UK they pay, we have only about 5% evasion rat

Dannyrobbo5 m ago

For the majority of normal families in the UK they pay, we have only about …For the majority of normal families in the UK they pay, we have only about 5% evasion rat

Not everyone watches tv (it's crap let's be honest, and a licence is not required for netflix and movies). As already mentioned above, dental costs are far more essential.

adamspencer9510 m ago

this depends on the OPs definition of 'cost of living'i.e. is it the …this depends on the OPs definition of 'cost of living'i.e. is it the absolute bare essentialsor cost to maintain a relatively good standard of living compared with the 'acceptable' standard for the UKor somewhere inbetweenor somewhere higher

Yeh the point was he has rejected a few valid essentials but has tv licence on his list. Just doesn't seem correct to me so I asked.
Edited by: "delusion" 12th Sep 2017

Prescriptions, replacement and repair of devices, gifts, stationery and postage, dentistry.

delusion19 m ago

Not everyone watches tv (it's crap let's be honest, and a licence is not …Not everyone watches tv (it's crap let's be honest, and a licence is not required for netflix and movies). As already mentioned above, dental costs are far more essential.Yeh the point was he has rejected a few valid essentials but has tv licence on his list. Just doesn't seem correct to me so I asked.

he also has mobile and internet on his list

i think his interpretation of 'essentials' is a bit different

delusion26 m ago

Not everyone watches tv (it's crap let's be honest, and a licence is not …Not everyone watches tv (it's crap let's be honest, and a licence is not required for netflix and movies). As already mentioned above, dental costs are far more essential.Yeh the point was he has rejected a few valid essentials but has tv licence on his list. Just doesn't seem correct to me so I asked.

.Also being honest, the majority of those who don't pay still watch the Iplayer and probably receive the channel. I'd consider it a cost most families pay as a bare minimum.

adamspencer958 m ago

he also has mobile and internet on his listi think his interpretation of …he also has mobile and internet on his listi think his interpretation of 'essentials' is a bit different

It also depends on the type of work they do, I wouldn't be able to do my job without the internet or my mobile phone at home.

What about water?

Original Poster

delusion2 h, 27 m ago

Whether or not If i do or don't pay I dont want to make illegal means on the interwebs

Original Poster

adamspencer9536 m ago

he also has mobile and internet on his listi think his interpretation of …he also has mobile and internet on his listi think his interpretation of 'essentials' is a bit different

Tv licences is a edgy one I put it here incase people questioned it, personally I don't pay for it and honestly never watch TV ever,

However internet and mobile plan in my opinion in a essential and living without out it is not living in a life of someone under 25 anyway, Internet 15PM, mobile 5PM

whelan1898 m ago

Whether or not If i do or don't pay I dont want to make illegal means on …Whether or not If i do or don't pay I dont want to make illegal means on the interwebs

What do you watch on tv you find so essential? Nothing illegal if you don't watch broadcast tv.

If you could only afford a tv licence or your health and dental hygiene costs which would you give up?

I know someone between jobs that spends £35 a week on cigarettes, she can't even afford food half the time and is living in other people's houses on good will. I just don't get what some people consider essential over other things I suppose.

whelan18915 m ago

Tv licences is a edgy one I put it here incase people questioned it, …Tv licences is a edgy one I put it here incase people questioned it, personally I don't pay for it and honestly never watch TV ever,However internet and mobile plan in my opinion in a essential and living without out it is not living in a life of someone under 25 anyway, Internet 15PM, mobile 5PM

which is why there is a difference based on your definition of 'cost of living'

cost of living is usually a comparator which can be compared with any other country in the world, and is usually the absolute bare essentials to eat, drink and survive. do you think internet and a mobile phone would be considered as the essentials in Uganda, or Zimbabwe, for example?

this all depends on how you specifically define 'essentials'

delusion20 m ago

What do you watch on tv you find so essential? Nothing illegal if you …What do you watch on tv you find so essential? Nothing illegal if you don't watch broadcast tv. If you could only afford a tv licence or your health and dental hygiene costs which would you give up?I know someone between jobs that spends £35 a week on cigarettes, she can't even afford food half the time and is living in other people's houses on good will. I just don't get what some people consider essential over other things I suppose.

Its not just broadcast tv it's live and catch-up iplayer programming now.

There are levels of essential items and services for a family where both parents work their levels will be much higher much higher than the person you talk about. There are people who would have nothing but still subscribe to sky which I would think is madness, but it happens.

Original Poster

adamspencer9533 m ago

which is why there is a difference based on your definition of 'cost of …which is why there is a difference based on your definition of 'cost of living'cost of living is usually a comparator which can be compared with any other country in the world, and is usually the absolute bare essentials to eat, drink and survive. do you think internet and a mobile phone would be considered as the essentials in Uganda, or Zimbabwe, for example?this all depends on how you specifically define 'essentials'

you said it yourself 'usually' my mistake I should of put more into description to give better idea, I'm doing cost of living to see the costs 2 People have on 7.50£ 38 hours Week, moving into there first place
Edited by: "whelan189" 12th Sep 2017

Rent
gas
electric
water
tv licence
Mobile phones
car tax
council tax
Car insurance
petrol
if no car travel expenses like bus or train
food
debts credit card payments catalogue payments
student loan repayments ect
(if pets, dog food vet bills ect)
living expenses ie food bill
hygiene i.e. Shower gels shampoo ect
can't think of any more of top of head. I know some of these aren't essentials for staying alive.. just thought I'd give you a list of everything I could think of, maybe some use to you
Edited by: "LeahsMintytoutou" 12th Sep 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants