Expired

Cost of posting ps4 game on ebay

Found 25th Jan 2016
im shotting some ps4 games on eBay and would love to know whats the true cost of postage inc packaging which i'll buy from the PO. Also is it worth getting it signed if I'm sending fallout 4 (£20-25) and wwe 2k16 (£25).

Say if i send via 2nd class with a small jiffy bag + signed what am i looking at?

thank
Community Updates
AskPS4PS4 Games
19 Comments
http://m.royalmail.com/mt/www.royalmail.com/mobile-price-finder

This should help
Buy the jiffys from pound shop as you'll get around 5 for £1 where as you'll pay nearly a pound for one in the po.
Original Poster
ndksamb

Buy the jiffys from pound shop as you'll get around 5 for £1 where as … Buy the jiffys from pound shop as you'll get around 5 for £1 where as you'll pay nearly a pound for one in the po.

ah nice, what does a ps4 game constitute as? a large letter or a small parcel? a quick google suggests the average weight is 140g, does this seem correct?
A pound shop for Jiffy bags or somewhere like wilkinsons will be the cheapest.

The Post Office will charge you a lot in comparison.

Remember on eBay that you'll have selling fees with them too! Last time I checked eBay took 10% and PayPal took 4% so that's -14% of anything you sell on there.

To answer your original question if you get the Jiffy bags that fit DVDs they will be sent as a large letter and Royal Mail 2nd class signed for currently is £2.61 if sent to an address in the UK.

Edited by: "LiveTheAdventure" 25th Jan 2016
Banned
Always get signed for...
Original Poster
Aaron_QPR

A pound shop for Jiffy bags or somewhere like wilkinsons will be the … A pound shop for Jiffy bags or somewhere like wilkinsons will be the cheapest. The Post Office will charge you a lot in comparison. Remember on eBay that you'll have selling fees with them too! Last time I checked eBay took 10% and PayPal took 4% so that's -14% of anything you sell on there. To answer your original question if you get the Jiffy bags that fit DVDs they will be sent as a large letter and Royal Mail 2nd class signed for currently is £2.61 if sent to an address in the UK.

cheers man, and yeah the 14% is high.

its foolish for me to have the buyer wait an extra couple of days over 10p so i'll just get first class. But i know that even the shipping is taxed upon so for that reason should i offer free p/p?
Original Poster
hate to ask dumb questions repeatedly but would these suffice for just 1 ps4 game to fit in safely?

amazon.co.uk/Off…ags
Free P&p better because u get better response if selling on auctions. For buy it now its upto u. Either way ebay commission will be same on total amount paid.
Always take receipt and try to update tracking info on ebay transaction details and even if u lose the receipt u will be covered
if you are sending separately it should be under 100g so its 74p 2nd or 95p 1st and the £1.10 extra recorded.

Yes those jiffy bags would fit
Original Poster
ah ok sweet so a jiffy is costing me 20p, so all round p/p via signed 1st class is costing me £2.60 which is great whereas non-signed is £1.50.
the weight is right on the edge, sometimes it's over. If you just use paper and some light protection it's £1.80 ish. But a proper jiffy usually takes it to the next tier.
Original Poster
benjam1n

the weight is right on the edge, sometimes it's over. If you just use … the weight is right on the edge, sometimes it's over. If you just use paper and some light protection it's £1.80 ish. But a proper jiffy usually takes it to the next tier.

what's 1.80? even at 250g a large letter will be £1.26/2.36 unless im missing something.
Have u thought about selling them here in the fs/ft? Could save a little in fees etc it may be work a quick read of the rules
ukting

what's 1.80? even at 250g a large letter will be £1.26/2.36 unless im … what's 1.80? even at 250g a large letter will be £1.26/2.36 unless im missing something.

You're posting on eBay. SO you will want to get it signed for.

2nd Class signed for is what I always post on here. It is around £1.80ish never more than £2

You should just sell on here, no fees through eBay or Paypal
Don't forget eBay charge a postage fee as well10% of what you charge. So your true costs would be

£1.26 large letter 1st
£1.10 recorded
£0.20 Jiffy bag
£0.25 eBay postage fee

I don't bother with signed for unless I'm going over the Post Office compensation level. If it doesn't turn up then PayPal grab the buyer's money back anyway so you're still stuck with claiming from the PO. As long as you've got the receipt as proof of postage you'll get your money back.

If you've never eBayed anything before have a look at some other listings to get an idea. If you've no feedback then people might well be reluctant to buy from you as well - also bear in mind that you've got pretty much no protection as a seller either nowadays.
Cakeboy79

I don't bother with signed for unless I'm going over the Post Office … I don't bother with signed for unless I'm going over the Post Office compensation level. If it doesn't turn up then PayPal grab the buyer's money back anyway so you're still stuck with claiming from the PO. As long as you've got the receipt as proof of postage you'll get your money back. If you've never eBayed anything before have a look at some other listings to get an idea. If you've no feedback then people might well be reluctant to buy from you as well - also bear in mind that you've got pretty much no protection as a seller either nowadays.

Indeed,but tracked does put some dodgy buyers off.
I find this site easier to use than Royal Mail to check postage costs.

http://www.seajays.org.uk/postage/

There's also an app to work out Paypal fees which is handy.
Edited by: "Domthedonkey" 25th Jan 2016
http://www.royalmail.com/price-finder

Royal Mail list all prices and the sizes/weights.

A PS4 game is under 2.5cm and so is a large letter. Special Editions or Collectors Editions may be thicker and be a small parcel. The max weight for large letter is 750g so a normal PS4 game will always be a large letter.

Most video games weigh between 101-250g which is £2.36 First Class (it's £2.05 if it weighs 100g or less).

Signed For gets you up to £50 compensation. Standard only covers up to £20. So as they're over you're best off going for Signed For.

Second Class is only 7p less and a lot of buyers expect items instantly so better to go for First Class (especially if you charge P&P rather than offering it free as buyers can mark you down for it).

Ebay fees are 13.4%+20p (10% ebay, 3.4%+20p Paypal) of the total price (including P&P), but you could wait and see if you get an offer. Last year they had 25%, 50% and 75% off fees offers.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants