Cost of TV aerial installation?

Posted 20th Sep
just renewed my broadband virgin, £21 monthly fit VM100.
this is without TV service.
just want basic Freeview, plugged in TV aerial but can't get any channels on my TV.
what is the cost of an aerial installation?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

40 Comments
Do you have access to sky dish? If so would be cheaper to access via a freesat receiver than paying aerial installation.
job-prices.co.uk/tv-…al/ - so maybe around £200?

FYI, Virgin's cheapest bundle that includes TV is only £30 per month..
Random UK Gumtree search returns "TV aerials fitted from £40" within the results. To benefit from that price you may need to relocate to West Midlands. Other localised Gumtree results are available.
fearona20/09/2019 11:32

Do you have access to sky dish? If so would be cheaper to access via a …Do you have access to sky dish? If so would be cheaper to access via a freesat receiver than paying aerial installation.

No dish unfortunately.
I paid £80 recently.
AndyRoyd20/09/2019 11:32

Random UK Gumtree search returns "TV aerials fitted from £40" within the …Random UK Gumtree search returns "TV aerials fitted from £40" within the results. To benefit from that price you may need to relocate to West Midlands. Other localised Gumtree results are available.

So if I move to Birmingham it's £40. Will my kids get the lovely accent
You may want to try an indoor aerial first if you are in a strong reception area, can always return it.
Def no aerial already fitted outside or in loft?
fearona20/09/2019 11:38

You may want to try an indoor aerial first if you are in a strong …You may want to try an indoor aerial first if you are in a strong reception area, can always return it.Def no aerial already fitted outside or in loft?

Tried that , didn't really work. There is a TV aerial , put it in TV , got no input
Check connection, and or just get it re alligned.
Plenty companies will give a quote, only needs a meter attached to see if signal.
What do u mean u plugged in TV aerial? U must already have an aerial then. Try getting a signal booster maybe that will help, it helped me when my aerial hardly picked up any channels!
Griffinpark198220/09/2019 15:40

What do u mean u plugged in TV aerial? U must already have an aerial then. …What do u mean u plugged in TV aerial? U must already have an aerial then. Try getting a signal booster maybe that will help, it helped me when my aerial hardly picked up any channels!

Plugged the top one
38509078-RfUY5.jpgGot absolute nothing
adamderak20/09/2019 15:58

Plugged the top one[Image] Got absolute nothing

So that black wire you plugged into the back of your TV and got nothing? Try a signal booster, sometimes that can help with the signal. Philex boosters are quite good!
Griffinpark198220/09/2019 16:14

So that black wire you plugged into the back of your TV and got nothing? …So that black wire you plugged into the back of your TV and got nothing? Try a signal booster, sometimes that can help with the signal. Philex boosters are quite good!

I got a few channels from a cheap indoor ariel but nothing bfrom the black lead so thinking the aerial is totally dead
It's possible the aerial has a 'mast head' amplifier on it (a small box attached to the pole just next to the aerial) - if the aerial has never worked since you've been there then often the previous occupant takes the power supply that is behind the TV thinking it's a signal booster, but it's actually a power supply to send volts up the cable to power the amplifier on the aerial itself.

It may not be that, it might be a cut wire, broken aerial or such like. Tricky to diagnose as many possibilities.,

If you get no signals at all don't waste money on an amplifier, they need a signal to amplify and it sounds like you have nothing. Presumably you've tried doing a channel search on the TV in case channels have moved or tried another aerial cable in case yours is faulty or another TV in case yours is faulty?
Edited by: "spannerzone" 20th Sep
Have you checked where your nearest transmitter is to see if a loft aerial is practical, we now have a relay transmitter a few hundred meters from us, 180 degrees to the direction our aerial is pointing.

bbc.co.uk/rec…rch

digitaluk.co.uk/cov…er/
The first place I'd check was that socket, take it off and check the cable is connected. Will take 2 minutes.
The Black Tv lead you have coming from the socket clould be a fault try changing this has I bought a new one and this turned out to be faulty even though it was new. I ended up making one from old TV cable wire I had laying about the place. You can uses old internet TV cable also Which I'm sure you can get hold of quite freely from some where's... Just a thought
Rusty8220/09/2019 22:52

The first place I'd check was that socket, take it off and check the cable …The first place I'd check was that socket, take it off and check the cable is connected. Will take 2 minutes.

Quite a simple check. Cheers
Shaunx20/09/2019 23:19

The Black Tv lead you have coming from the socket clould be a fault try …The Black Tv lead you have coming from the socket clould be a fault try changing this has I bought a new one and this turned out to be faulty even though it was new. I ended up making one from old TV cable wire I had laying about the place. You can uses old internet TV cable also Which I'm sure you can get hold of quite freely from some where's... Just a thought

Will definitely try another one, cheers
adamderak21/09/2019 00:33

Quite a simple check. Cheers

If you do take the socket off, also check for corrosion, if the connection box on the aerial leaks and the installer didn't use a good quality foam filled coax, rain water can run down the hollow plastic insulator surrounding the coax core, corroding the socket causing a short.
adamderak20/09/2019 15:58

Plugged the top one[Image] Got absolute nothing

Those cobwebs could be causing a signal blockage.............( only joking - hehe! )

In all seriousness, some good tips here (among the unnecessary ones) so just start at the TV and work backwards. If you can try another coax cable - do so. Then as Rusty82 intelligently said, check the socket is still attached to a wire leading to the aerial. You can do a continuity check on the cable if you can get to the aerial-end easily but where is it? Loft or roof? Also, the balun box (where the aerial cable goes into the aerial) can get corroded if old or not adequately sealed and rot the connection/cable.

If this is the case, a new coax will possibly be required - *** super tip *** attach a new coax to the end of the old cable (either end) and then "pull" it through the house wall/partition using the old cable. Old cable comes out and drags the new cable into place. You wouldn't believe the amount of people who just yank the old cable out and then have to source/borrow cable access kits to feed a new one through! Doh!

Kind regards, Phsy.
Rusty8221/09/2019 18:34

How did it go?

Dad's in hospital so not had an opportunity but using a cheap aerial got most of the Freeview channels.
So going to buy a decent outdoor aeruel and should be fine
adamderak22/09/2019 00:52

Dad's in hospital so not had an opportunity but using a cheap aerial got …Dad's in hospital so not had an opportunity but using a cheap aerial got most of the Freeview channels.So going to buy a decent outdoor aeruel and should be fine

Ah OK, I have an aerial in my loft and works perfectly and isn't that strong a signal area. I'd check over all connections and the existing aerial if possible. All the best.
Rusty8221/09/2019 18:34

How did it go?

Couldn't get it to work but with a cheap £10 indoor aerial got it working.
So buying this & hopefully all should be good.
With the cheap one I've found out where to position it.
Thinking of buying thism
38533267-dGCRM.jpg
adamderak24/09/2019 09:24

Couldn't get it to work but with a cheap £10 indoor aerial got it …Couldn't get it to work but with a cheap £10 indoor aerial got it working.So buying this & hopefully all should be good.With the cheap one I've found out where to position it. Thinking of buying thism[Image]

Geez! That's a dear bit of kit! Never seen one in operation before but I sure as heck wouldn't use one over a cheap 'normal' aerial. If you can get a signal from an 'indoor' aerial then a £10 cheapie standard aerial mounted on a pole or fixed in the loft ought to suffice. Your money I guess but do read the reviews too. As the product details suggest: is your nearest transmitter within 15 miles of you?

I suppose purely from an aesthetic point of view, it looks a cute, unobtrusive unit. I still couldn't bring myself to part with £50+ for it though! we still haven't had you confirm whether you ACTUALLY have an aerial??? Where does the RF socket on your wall go to? An aerial in your loft - on the roof - or nothing?
Phsycronix24/09/2019 10:31

Geez! That's a dear bit of kit! Never seen one in operation before but I …Geez! That's a dear bit of kit! Never seen one in operation before but I sure as heck wouldn't use one over a cheap 'normal' aerial. If you can get a signal from an 'indoor' aerial then a £10 cheapie standard aerial mounted on a pole or fixed in the loft ought to suffice. Your money I guess but do read the reviews too. As the product details suggest: is your nearest transmitter within 15 miles of you?I suppose purely from an aesthetic point of view, it looks a cute, unobtrusive unit. I still couldn't bring myself to part with £50+ for it though! we still haven't had you confirm whether you ACTUALLY have an aerial??? Where does the RF socket on your wall go to? An aerial in your loft - on the roof - or nothing?

I must be in a strong signal area as even the cheapo indoor aerial can pick up HD channels.
So figure a better quality semi indoor/outdoor aerial that I can easily install myself should suffice.
Not going to pay £50, seen a few cheap used ones on ebay
adamderak24/09/2019 13:10

I must be in a strong signal area as even the cheapo indoor aerial can …I must be in a strong signal area as even the cheapo indoor aerial can pick up HD channels.So figure a better quality semi indoor/outdoor aerial that I can easily install myself should suffice.Not going to pay £50, seen a few cheap used ones on ebay

Just get a large aerial and put it in your loft. At least you can take it back if it doesn't work, unlike ebay.

toolstation.com/dig…040
adamderak24/09/2019 13:10

I must be in a strong signal area as even the cheapo indoor aerial can …I must be in a strong signal area as even the cheapo indoor aerial can pick up HD channels.So figure a better quality semi indoor/outdoor aerial that I can easily install myself should suffice.Not going to pay £50, seen a few cheap used ones on ebay

Agreed, but you still haven't answered the question as to what you already have???????

Why buy new stuff if you already have an aerial and just need a new coax perhaps? I'm scratching my head a little bit and I'm guessing I'm not the only one! Hehe.
Phsycronix24/09/2019 15:22

Agreed, but you still haven't answered the question as to what you already …Agreed, but you still haven't answered the question as to what you already have???????Why buy new stuff if you already have an aerial and just need a new coax perhaps? I'm scratching my head a little bit and I'm guessing I'm not the only one! Hehe.

Ive tried ng leads, had a look at socket, all seems fine. So assume the roof top aerial is no longer functioni
adamderak24/09/2019 15:27

Ive tried ng leads, had a look at socket, all seems fine. So assume the …Ive tried ng leads, had a look at socket, all seems fine. So assume the roof top aerial is no longer functioni

Success! So, we have determined that you DO have an aerial on the roof? Can you see it? More importantly, can you access it safely yourself or was that the whole point of your initial question - i.e. you would rather pay someone to check/fix/replace it?

If you can do it yourself safely then a cheap multi-element aerial would be suitable. You more than likely don't need a super-duper 'booster' mega ultra 4K 4G shielded uber aerial!

Of course, it could just be a corroded connection in the balun of your existing one and needs cutting out, cleaning and reconnecting. If you do go down the route of "getting a bod in" then don't let then con you into some God-like aerial that's "digital" as; just like HDMI cables; this is a red herring. A good quality standard aerial is still quite capable of picking up the digital service. Also, watch them like a hawk as some (as seen on BBC's Watchdog) are cheeky beggars and put up secondhand aerials or just tinker with yours and say they've replaced something. In other words: don't get mugged off!

Regards, Phsy.
Phsycronix24/09/2019 15:40

Success! So, we have determined that you DO have an aerial on the roof? …Success! So, we have determined that you DO have an aerial on the roof? Can you see it? More importantly, can you access it safely yourself or was that the whole point of your initial question - i.e. you would rather pay someone to check/fix/replace it?If you can do it yourself safely then a cheap multi-element aerial would be suitable. You more than likely don't need a super-duper 'booster' mega ultra 4K 4G shielded uber aerial!Of course, it could just be a corroded connection in the balun of your existing one and needs cutting out, cleaning and reconnecting. If you do go down the route of "getting a bod in" then don't let then con you into some God-like aerial that's "digital" as; just like HDMI cables; this is a red herring. A good quality standard aerial is still quite capable of picking up the digital service. Also, watch them like a hawk as some (as seen on BBC's Watchdog) are cheeky beggars and put up secondhand aerials or just tinker with yours and say they've replaced something. In other words: don't get mugged off!Regards, Phsy.

Cheers phsy, aerial is beyond my reach , well in a safe manner at least.
Been quoted around £150 for a new aerial , hence the search for alternative.
A thin cheap indoor aerial worked remarkably well.
Hence a slight upgrade to a indoor/outdoor dome type that I can attach to the wall about 8ft high should in theory do the trick.
adamderak24/09/2019 15:55

Cheers phsy, aerial is beyond my reach , well in a safe manner at …Cheers phsy, aerial is beyond my reach , well in a safe manner at least.Been quoted around £150 for a new aerial , hence the search for alternative.A thin cheap indoor aerial worked remarkably well.Hence a slight upgrade to a indoor/outdoor dome type that I can attach to the wall about 8ft high should in theory do the trick.

Well, I don't blame you as that sounds like quite a lot. I know you have to pay for someone's time as well as them supplying the aerial but I'd have expected half that price in all honesty. £70-100 max. If you have a loft, you can still install a normal aerial and run the coax to your tv point in the room where the tv is situated. I actually have two in my loft! One of them is a really big one too.

Sometimes when the socket is on an internal wall, the installer passed the coax cable up through the wall - then into the loft before exiting to the roof. If you are clever/lucky you could cut the coax in the loft and mount the new aerial to a rafter. Then re-attach the cut coax to the aerial balun. Saves you some trouble and you don't have to get on the roof! Also; if the coax is bad; you can use the same trick that I mentioned in a previous post: i.e. remove the socket in the wall - attach new coax and then get in the loft and pull the old cable through the wall - towing the new coax with it. I hope that makes sense. Whatever you do, don't just yank the old cable out first! Hehe.
Phsycronix24/09/2019 16:08

.Sometimes when the socket is on an internal wall, the installer passed ….Sometimes when the socket is on an internal wall, the installer passed the coax cable up through the wall - then into the loft before exiting to the roof. If you are clever/lucky you could cut the coax in the loft and mount the new aerial to a rafter. Then re-attach the cut coax to the aerial balun. Saves you some trouble and you don't have to get on the roof! Also; if the coax is bad; you can use the same trick that I mentioned in a previous post: i.e. remove the socket in the wall - attach new coax and then get in the loft and pull the old cable through the wall - towing the new coax with it. I hope that makes sense. Whatever you do, don't just yank the old cable out first! Hehe.

Exactly what I did. Took 10 minutes to cut the existing cable and connect to a £15 aerial which I just laid on top of the loft insulation. Perfect signal strength and quality and it will never corrode so should last decades
Phsycronix24/09/2019 16:08

Well, I don't blame you as that sounds like quite a lot. I know you have …Well, I don't blame you as that sounds like quite a lot. I know you have to pay for someone's time as well as them supplying the aerial but I'd have expected half that price in all honesty. £70-100 max. If you have a loft, you can still install a normal aerial and run the coax to your tv point in the room where the tv is situated. I actually have two in my loft! One of them is a really big one too.Sometimes when the socket is on an internal wall, the installer passed the coax cable up through the wall - then into the loft before exiting to the roof. If you are clever/lucky you could cut the coax in the loft and mount the new aerial to a rafter. Then re-attach the cut coax to the aerial balun. Saves you some trouble and you don't have to get on the roof! Also; if the coax is bad; you can use the same trick that I mentioned in a previous post: i.e. remove the socket in the wall - attach new coax and then get in the loft and pull the old cable through the wall - towing the new coax with it. I hope that makes sense. Whatever you do, don't just yank the old cable out first! Hehe.

That does make sense, maybe a new loft aerial might be the way to go
chocci24/09/2019 16:29

Exactly what I did. Took 10 minutes to cut the existing cable and connect …Exactly what I did. Took 10 minutes to cut the existing cable and connect to a £15 aerial which I just laid on top of the loft insulation. Perfect signal strength and quality and it will never corrode so should last decades

You lazy devil! Hehe. Didn't even mount the aerial? Nice one! Mind you, it's surprising that being on the "floor" as it were that it didn't upset the signal. I guess as you are technically "up" then it's fine eh? I had to mount mine as you usually have to give then a slight "upwards point" rather than level. There's about three houses near me with aerials on the roof that are almost pointing down! It makes me smile every time I see them...
Phsycronix24/09/2019 16:35

You lazy devil! Hehe. Didn't even mount the aerial? Nice one! Mind you, …You lazy devil! Hehe. Didn't even mount the aerial? Nice one! Mind you, it's surprising that being on the "floor" as it were that it didn't upset the signal. I guess as you are technically "up" then it's fine eh? I had to mount mine as you usually have to give then a slight "upwards point" rather than level. There's about three houses near me with aerials on the roof that are almost pointing down! It makes me smile every time I see them...

LOL. Its a 48 element one so a very strong signal. I did spend hours trying to get it working outside until I read up about it and realised the signal was far too strong as my transmitter is only 5 miles away. If I mounted it properly in the loft then I would probably get too strong a signal again
chocci24/09/2019 16:57

LOL. Its a 48 element one so a very strong signal. I did spend hours …LOL. Its a 48 element one so a very strong signal. I did spend hours trying to get it working outside until I read up about it and realised the signal was far too strong as my transmitter is only 5 miles away. If I mounted it properly in the loft then I would probably get too strong a signal again

Same as my big aerial. 48 with a "moosive" deflector behind the balun. It was perfect as where I live, you weren't supposed to have external equipment. Some others near me; as you would expect; ignore that and do what they want...
chocci24/09/2019 16:57

LOL. Its a 48 element one so a very strong signal. I did spend hours …LOL. Its a 48 element one so a very strong signal. I did spend hours trying to get it working outside until I read up about it and realised the signal was far too strong as my transmitter is only 5 miles away. If I mounted it properly in the loft then I would probably get too strong a signal again

Too a strong signal? How is that bad
adamderak24/09/2019 17:03

Too a strong signal? How is that bad

Strong Digital SignalDigital signals can be too strong in some locations, and this can give just as much trouble as a weak digital signal.

Some makes of digital TV (Panasonic in particular) seem to have more sensitive digital tuners. This is useful when the digital signal strength is low, but will reach overload more quickly when presented with a strong signal.

The symptoms of digital signal overload can appear identical to those of a weak signal - the picture shows pixellation and the sound breaks up. This condition is easily resolved by adding an attenuator in the signal path to reduce the input to the correct level.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants