Found 7th Feb
I quite enjoy the odd coffee and snack from Costa from time to time. I've never noticed this before, but for the COLD FOOD section, they charge 30p extra per item for the privilege of eating in! I understand there to be rules regarding hot food preparation and the tax associated with eating in or out. But has that been extended to cold food also? Or are Costa just taking the proverbial?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
24 Comments

depends what you buy, some food attracts VAT whether its hot or cold.

Original Poster

CoeK

depends what you buy, some food attracts VAT whether its hot or cold.

I don't think this is VAT as it's a flat 30p irrelevant of price. I might be wrong of course.

BagABargain78

I don't think this is VAT as it's a flat 30p irrelevant of price. I might … I don't think this is VAT as it's a flat 30p irrelevant of price. I might be wrong of course.

Ah then that won't be VAT then, strange.

Pretty sure I remember these charges before the food tax for came in

Greggs do the same.

You are paying for the atmosphere. Loads of spotty teenagers with their pumpkin spice latte and Hipsters using Apple hardware.

A lot of these sort of places with eat in options charge a certain amount extra - it's not just VAT, it's to pay for the extra costs involved in offering seating to people - such as the extra staff, heating, wear-and-tear, wifi and other amenities that you don't have if you just walk in and grab things from the counter. These costs also factor in VAT for some items.
Edited by: "misterleoni" 7th Feb

its probably to pay the electricity bill incurred by the hipsters who sit there all day charging aforementioned Apple hardware.

splatsplatsplat

You are paying for the atmosphere. Loads of spotty teenagers with their … You are paying for the atmosphere. Loads of spotty teenagers with their pumpkin spice latte and Hipsters using Apple hardware.

Hipsters wouldn't use Apple hardware; they'd use a mechanical typewriter and/or a leather-bound notebook.

If you're paying £5 for a coffee I wouldn't be too bothered by 30p for them to clean up after me

Original Poster

LoL. I've never paid £5 for a coffee. But if the coffee was that expensive, even more reason for them not to charge the extra 30p. It's already covered by the cost of the coffee.

kester76

If you're paying £5 for a coffee I wouldn't be too bothered by 30p for … If you're paying £5 for a coffee I wouldn't be too bothered by 30p for them to clean up after me

where do you order your coffee

why do they charge 30p per item more yet you have to clear a table yourself before you can eat in there ?

mattmerch

where do you order your coffee

I have morals and low funds, I can't afford to drink coffee in these shops. Pity me

I'm a hipster, I deserve your pity more

kester76

I have morals and low funds, I can't afford to drink coffee in these … I have morals and low funds, I can't afford to drink coffee in these shops. Pity me :(;)

so you just made the £5 price up ok now i understand

random_dude

I'm a hipster, I deserve your pity more

Actually, hats off to you Sir you deserve my respect

If you are daft enough (think its "cool" ) to pay £3-£4 for a coffee then why be surprised that they try to rip you off for even more on any pretence .

mattmerch

so you just made the £5 price up ok now i understand

Why were you reeling from the protential price increase ?

kester76

Why were you reeling from the protential price increase ?

not really "protential" is not a word i understand

mattmerch

not really "protential" is not a word i understand

​You offended by the awesome R ?

Original Poster

rogparki

If you are daft enough (think its "cool" ) to pay £3-£4 for a coffee then … If you are daft enough (think its "cool" ) to pay £3-£4 for a coffee then why be surprised that they try to rip you off for even more on any pretence .

Why are people making up prices. My coffee costs me little over £2 every once in a while. How much would you pay for a pint? Or above prices meal out every so often? I'm not daft or think it's cool. I just enjoy a coffee once in a while. Please refrain from commenting if you aren't able to without being rude.

at least the biscuits and cake are cheap in Costa , plenty of Costa mugs on eBay too that competition winners seem to sell off

kester76

Actually, hats off to you Sir you deserve my respect

Hipsters deserve no pity.
Shave your beard off while you're at it and stop buying overpriced vinyl to play on your very poor quality record players.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Spotify family22
    2. Gala Bingo/Games. Deposit £5 get £40 cashback. Quidco - new Gala members11
    3. Has the amount of Apple fanboys increased on the site after the redesign?11
    4. Urgent help needed with travel agent56

See more discussions