Costco - Is it worth it

Found 25th Sep 2012
We have been invited to join Costco through work. I am struggling to work out if it is really worth

Is it worth it the £25 (plus VAT) annual membership?

Thanks

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
12 Comments

Banned

Only if you like good quality goods and spending lots of money.

I luv Costco.

I had a Costco Trade Card for about eight years. I gave it up because Costco is too expensive. You can get most things cheaper elsewhere.

... You could take out membership and go there each lunchtime to eat all the free samples, thus your £25 would be well spent.

Edited by: "Predikuesi" 25th Sep 2012

I'm finding fewer reasons to go lately. The prices of most things are dearer than in the supermarkets. It used to be good for the the odd quirky item or two you couldn't get anywhere else but even those seem to be fewer on the ground. It's still way better than Makro, though.

Good for a cheap lunch if you don't mind a limited selection. That alone might pay for your membership over the year.

Swings and roundabouts it works well if you buy in bulk on the monthly offers ie, Loo Roll, Kitchen roll, Sanitary towels and occasionally large electrical items, we bought a Hoover washing machine £40 cheaper than at any of the big name stores. It's also worth finding out which 'auction house' they send the ex display stock and lines that haven't sold to and get a real bargain but watch out they also put customer returns through the same process!

If you are the type that will look for bargains and are prepared to buy in bulk when a good deal is found the Costco isn't worth it imo.

As good if not better deals can be found in supermarkets for the majority of items.

If you can, go and have good look round with prices you already pay and go compare as they say.
Edited by: "greg_68" 25th Sep 2012

No, now if it was L'Oreal, i'd say yes, cos it's worth it.

The meat is far better quality than what you get in the supermarkets and it's very well priced.
Pretty good for booze and the bog rolls are very cheap..... although they come in packs of 48 !

Its worth it - quality of the goods is excellent, customer service and warranty superb, really good for seasonal goods - you can basically get all your Xmas shopping in one day. Deals on tyres are superb too - not many places you can have new tyres fitted while you get the shopping in.

For about £30 a year, its worth it easily.

They're doing a presentation in our works Canteen tomorrow, Costco b'ham
is about 9miles away... can be difficult to get there depending on the time..

I was also wandering is it worth the £30 membership...
There's a free gift? for those who join up tomorrow...

Monkeybumcheeks

The meat is far better quality than what you get in the supermarkets and … The meat is far better quality than what you get in the supermarkets and it's very well priced.Pretty good for booze and the bog rolls are very cheap..... although they come in packs of 48 !

Agree. We find our membership worth it for the meat alone.

If you've got massive cupboards!!

I don't have a card but I love shopping at Costco when any of my mates go, novelty never wears off for me. Queues are normally big but you are rewarded by a nice fat £1.50 hotdog at the end of it.

Some stuff is cheaper than supermarkets, some is more expensive. You get random bargains in there too (vapestick £45 in tesco, £30 in Costco). You'd have to make it worth it which may mean changing your shopping habits a bit. As much as I like it I dont have a lot of space, so It's not for me.

Edit: and they make amazing cakes!
Edited by: "spaceinvader" 25th Sep 2012

Original Poster

Thank you for all the replies.

I decided to go for it as if you cancel within the first year you get the full membership refunded. So I can judge how much of a saving I make.

Cheers
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants