Costco membership

Posted 14th Oct
Hi,

I've seen a few Costco deals previously that I was interested in, but I've only just found out the company I work for is on the list. I would be joining as an Individual Membership at £33.60.

So the question is, is a Costco membership worth it?

What kind of thing should I expect? Is it like a Makro? What kind of things are normally cheaper there?

Any comments appreciated
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
I find Costco is just worth it if you regularly buy branded quality food and are happy to buy in bulk. If you normally go to Aldi or Lidl then it may be cheaper to just buy their own brands. Costco own brand (Kirkland Signature) is great quality too.

Things I regularly buy from Costco include
Lavazza coffee beans 1kg bag, around £6.50 when on offer, otherwise £8ish
Cushelle quilted toilet toll, 45 rolls (five packs of nine) about £12 when on offer
Kelloggs and Weetabix breakfast cereals often around £3/4 for two boxes

washing liquid and dishwasher tablets are always a good price.
I also regularly buy meat and freeze it, such as mince where 2.2kg is around £18 I think. I also get chicken breasts and pork steaks.

Take a look at the current offers to get some ideas of best prices costco.co.uk/offers
It's worth it. If you have a large fridge, big store cupboards, and a large hungry family you'll really make the most of it. I believe that Costco have a guarantee whereby if you take out membership but decide after a few visits that it's not for you then they'll allow you to cancel your membership and refund you the fee (or rather whatever the remainder of it works out as).
Do you have any babies?? Nappies are cheaper, birthday cake from cake bakery is cheaper, drinks and crisps also are.
I rarely go in, but regularly buy their fuel
jon81uk14/10/2019 17:02

I find Costco is just worth it if you regularly buy branded quality food …I find Costco is just worth it if you regularly buy branded quality food and are happy to buy in bulk. If you normally go to Aldi or Lidl then it may be cheaper to just buy their own brands. Costco own brand (Kirkland Signature) is great quality too.Things I regularly buy from Costco includeLavazza coffee beans 1kg bag, around £6.50 when on offer, otherwise £8ishCushelle quilted toilet toll, 45 rolls (five packs of nine) about £12 when on offerKelloggs and Weetabix breakfast cereals often around £3/4 for two boxeswashing liquid and dishwasher tablets are always a good price.I also regularly buy meat and freeze it, such as mince where 2.2kg is around £18 I think. I also get chicken breasts and pork steaks.Take a look at the current offers to get some ideas of best prices https://www.costco.co.uk/offers

Thank you very much, I do shop quite often at Aldi and Lidl (Not for price, I prefer some of the food compared to the big supermarkets.)

I do also stop at the main ones too (Sainsbury and Tesco) too.

I do drink a lot of coffee too and have a bean to cup machine, so that could come in handy too.
Haircut_10014/10/2019 17:18

It's worth it. If you have a large fridge, big store cupboards, and a …It's worth it. If you have a large fridge, big store cupboards, and a large hungry family you'll really make the most of it. I believe that Costco have a guarantee whereby if you take out membership but decide after a few visits that it's not for you then they'll allow you to cancel your membership and refund you the fee (or rather whatever the remainder of it works out as).

Thank you, that be good to know if they refund it if not wanted anymore, I just don't want to pay for a annual membership if I don't like the place or no good deals.

Have a big American fridge freezer so no problems with space
Misslovely14/10/2019 17:24

Do you have any babies?? Nappies are cheaper, birthday cake from cake …Do you have any babies?? Nappies are cheaper, birthday cake from cake bakery is cheaper, drinks and crisps also are.

Nah no babies, so nappies are required.

But cake & crisps are on the list
AL1S0N14/10/2019 18:10

I rarely go in, but regularly buy their fuel

Do you need a membership for fuel? Is it cheaper than elsewhere? I have a diesel car.
Bob2460114/10/2019 19:01

Nah no babies, so nappies are required.But cake & crisps are on the …Nah no babies, so nappies are required.But cake & crisps are on the list

Get popping or banging then
Bob2460114/10/2019 19:02

Do you need a membership for fuel? Is it cheaper than elsewhere? I have a …Do you need a membership for fuel? Is it cheaper than elsewhere? I have a diesel car.

The other day I was driving to my nearest Costco (Gateshead) and I made a mental note of the price of fuel at the three or four petrol stations that I passed on the way, Costco was indeed the cheapest and yes, you do need membership to fill up there. If you like cake, crisps, and snacks then I think you'll be happy when you go for your first shop there!
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 14th Oct
Misslovely14/10/2019 19:03

Get popping or banging then

I do have a 6 year old, so just got out of the nappies stage, don't fancy having to go through all that hassle again.
Misslovely14/10/2019 20:24

Heyup. Has that made you broody?

I thought females get broody! We just like load up our pistols...aim...and shoot!
Gollywood14/10/2019 20:27

I thought females get broody! We just like load up our pistols...aim...and …I thought females get broody! We just like load up our pistols...aim...and shoot!

Not sure which part gets broody.
You must have a AK 47 hahaha
Misslovely14/10/2019 20:29

Not sure which part gets broody. You must have a AK 47 hahaha

I know a lot of people who just go there for the fuel.
You will never know if it’s worth it but Costco do a money back guarantee so even if on day 364 you decide it’s not for you they will refund you minus vat for the membership.. don’t get me wrong they won’t let you sign up again if they can help it etc..but you can try it and cancel if it’s a big deal and you hate it..

Lots of people will split the membership with someone as the spouse card/2nd card doesn’t need to be a partner it can be anyone..

You can always find a friend with membership and go for a visit but Costco is really marmite place and isn’t always the cheapest so do your research as some offers are better elsewhere
Bob2460114/10/2019 18:58

Thank you very much, I do shop quite often at Aldi and Lidl (Not for …Thank you very much, I do shop quite often at Aldi and Lidl (Not for price, I prefer some of the food compared to the big supermarkets.)I do also stop at the main ones too (Sainsbury and Tesco) too.I do drink a lot of coffee too and have a bean to cup machine, so that could come in handy too.

yeah we also have a bean to cup machine so the 1kg bags of beans from Costco are great value for that. In fact the coffee machine itself came from Costco online and was a real bargain at the time (think it was over £100 cheaper than anywhere else).

what I’m not 100% certain on is if the money saved at Costco is significantly more than we spend on the membership fee! We definitely at least break even though and it’s a nice place to shop.

Oh and a 1/4 pound hotdog AND a Pepsi is only £1.50 so get your lunch there too!
My local one doesn't do fuel argh.
Their
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants