costco returns what's your experience?

Found 13th Feb 2015
I just wanted to know what's your experience of returning an item well after a year at costco. I'm thinking of buying a washer dryer from there as a few people have said they'll take it back without a problem if it breaks down. I'm finding this hard to believe as when I asked how much warranty costco give on the washer dryer themselves I was told 1 year. so your experiences would be really helpful in returning an electrical kitchen appliance after a year of having it.
Thanks hope that all makes sense.

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
15 Comments

My cousin swears by then. He took back a tv that packed up after 3 yrs and they replaced it no quibble.

I would rate them 10/10 we had a tv which was nearly 5 years old and we got our money refunded because their engineers deemed the tv as unrepairable..... Choose a new tv and got fresh 5 years guarantee. No questions asked ... We'd even mislaid the receipt ... But they knew the purchase from the membership

Original Poster

yeah but tvs come with a 5 year warranty from costco I was really hoping to hear some views on large appliances. but thank you for your answer at least they don't faff about that's good to know.

they honour the warranty they give you...if the washing machine comes with a year or two years warranty they will be brilliant in that period... bit don't think you can walk in after the warranty is out and expect a replacement...

I will buy from Costco ahead of John Lewis. that's how I rate them...

oh and their fruit, veg and some deli items are amazing quality... great for buying cakes as well.

Original Poster

topbloke

they honour the warranty they give you...if the washing machine comes … they honour the warranty they give you...if the washing machine comes with a year or two years warranty they will be brilliant in that period... bit don't think you can walk in after the warranty is out and expect a replacement...I will buy from Costco ahead of John Lewis. that's how I rate them...

see that's what I'm trying to say but a few people are adamant its like a lifetime guarantee! I just can't believe it it's ridiculous. so if I buy a samsung washer dryer from there and it has 5 year warranty from the manufacturer would you deal with costco if it broke down or samsung?

adhkarzf

see that's what I'm trying to say but a few people are adamant its like a … see that's what I'm trying to say but a few people are adamant its like a lifetime guarantee! I just can't believe it it's ridiculous. so if I buy a samsung washer dryer from there and it has 5 year warranty from the manufacturer would you deal with costco if it broke down or samsung?

here's my view...

on TVs, Costco give you a 5 year warranty so you def go back to them...

if something comes with a 5 year manufacturers warranty, Costco may expect you to contact the manufacturer...this is fine if you have a washing machine or an American fridge because I'm sure you would prefer an engineer visit to your home to fix...I'm sure if you are not happy with the fix or repair experience Costco may get involved...

The law states 6 years in the UK even if they tell you it's only 12 months etc. from what I remember.

WheresMeNuts

The law states 6 years in the UK even if they tell you it's only 12 … The law states 6 years in the UK even if they tell you it's only 12 months etc. from what I remember.

It's not cut and dried. I think you have to prove that the fault that caused the failure was there at the time of manufacture.

Original Poster

WheresMeNuts

The law states 6 years in the UK even if they tell you it's only 12 … The law states 6 years in the UK even if they tell you it's only 12 months etc. from what I remember.

6 years for what? large appliances or any electrical goods? as loads of washing machines come with only a 1 year manufacturer's warranty.

adhkarzf

6 years for what? large appliances or any electrical goods? as loads of … 6 years for what? large appliances or any electrical goods? as loads of washing machines come with only a 1 year manufacturer's warranty.

Not quite correct, statute of limitations is 6 years, which means if you can prove the issue related to a fault during maulnufacture the seller has to either repair or replace. There is a little known EU directive that obligates all manufacturers to give a 2 year warranty

adhkarzf

6 years for what? large appliances or any electrical goods? as loads of … 6 years for what? large appliances or any electrical goods? as loads of washing machines come with only a 1 year manufacturer's warranty.

WheresMeNuts is referring to the Sale Of Goods Act (SOGA) which states that goods must be fit for purpose. This means they should last a "reasonable" length of time, widely regarded to be 6 years.This effectively makes a manufacturers warranty irrelevant. You are under no obligation at all to go back to the manufacturer, your contract is with whoever sold you the goods.

Deeky is correct though in that you must be able to prove that the fault was inherent.

But to get back to the point, sorry, I can't answer your question as I've never shopped at Costco.

WheresMeNuts

True for consumer purchases but Costco is closer to a wholesaler where the Sale Of Goods Act does not apply. It is not clear what Costco's status is as membership is open to businesses only with exemptions for certain 'professions'.

Banned

topbloke

here's my view...on TVs, Costco give you a 5 year warranty so you def go … here's my view...on TVs, Costco give you a 5 year warranty so you def go back to them...if something comes with a 5 year manufacturers warranty, Costco may expect you to contact the manufacturer...this is fine if you have a washing machine or an American fridge because I'm sure you would prefer an engineer visit to your home to fix...I'm sure if you are not happy with the fix or repair experience Costco may get involved...

not true.
as someone who has bought every single appliance and spent in excess of £100,000 at costco in the last ten years, I've never had them turning down a refund. Most recently, I returned a washing machine I bought from them 6 years ago, without the receipt, and they gave me a full cash refund no questions asked.

by far and away the best customer service, a million times better than JL

Original Poster

mkbhd

not true.as someone who has bought every single appliance and spent in … not true.as someone who has bought every single appliance and spent in excess of £100,000 at costco in the last ten years, I've never had them turning down a refund. Most recently, I returned a washing machine I bought from them 6 years ago, without the receipt, and they gave me a full cash refund no questions asked.by far and away the best customer service, a million times better than JL

ah finally someone with actual experience of returning a large appliance. did you call up before going in our did you just turn up with the washing machine? which then brings my friends argument forward that it doesn't matter when you bought it they'll refund you no matter what.
Thank you ever so much for taking the time to answer I think I'll be buying my washer dryer from there then just for the guarantee purposes hopefully nothing will go wrong though.
Post a comment
@
    Text