Costco. Worth it?

Posted 21st Oct
Hi everyone. Considering getting a costco card. Is it actually worth it? We normally shop at Aldi for groceries etc.
Community Updates
Ask
26 Comments
38712758-XGCrt.jpg
Costco pricing operates at breakeven - so you will pretty much get the best price (usually in bulk) for your groceries. Costco’s profit comes from the membership
Costco was a haven of cheapness but is good for only a few things now. Depends on whether those things are on your shopping list and in their quantities. Get their Amex card and get cashback on using it. That's the only way it remains profitable for us now that we have an Aldi.

Having said that, they will put in a fuel station soon and that I gather is very much of a crowd puller. Anyone using Costco fuel?
I’m a member and say it depends on the amount of space you have to store products ect. But we go and normally get a few bits each time we go. Get my fuel when we go to which is always a few p cheaper than the cheapest stations round near me. I’m sure they also said if you don’t get the difference between the Amex card membership cost in cash back they send you a discount voucher anyway. Don’t hold me to that though.
Thanks everyone. Our nearest costco is 26 miles away so we wouldn't be making many trips. The idea would be to get the bulk groceries when we do go. Think it's worth a try for a year.
porradude21/10/2019 10:44

Thanks everyone. Our nearest costco is 26 miles away so we wouldn't be …Thanks everyone. Our nearest costco is 26 miles away so we wouldn't be making many trips. The idea would be to get the bulk groceries when we do go. Think it's worth a try for a year.

The exact same question about Costco membership was asked just last week, have a look at this thread.
hotukdeals.com/dis…198
zinc196721/10/2019 10:23

Costco pricing operates at breakeven - so you will pretty much get the …Costco pricing operates at breakeven - so you will pretty much get the best price (usually in bulk) for your groceries. Costco’s profit comes from the membership

forbes.com/sit…ts/
I quite like Costco, I joined using the groupon deal a few months ago so I got the free chickens, cake and batteries plus vouchers to spend in store. The fuel seems to last longer than regular supermarket fuel, the meat is brilliant quality as are the cakes.. plus there are always freebies to taste on your way around! It’s one of the few shops that my kids are both excited about going to
I wouldn’t do my entire shop there, I tend to do a full weekly shop at Aldi but use Costco if we’re in the area.

Ps) the bbq chicken pizza at the cafe makes it 100% worth buying membership.... I have it every time I go, even if I’m not hungry!
Edited by: "shelliebish" 21st Oct
It depends on having the space to store it.

I think the meat is better quality than the supermarkets so I tend to do a big shop and portion it out to freeze.

The toilet roll, kitchen roll and cleaning products can be good value too.

Lots of the veg is more expensive than aldi and not really worth it imo
Don’t expect much cheaper than the supermarkets, but you tend to get better quality for the same money. General household things are cheaper - toilet roll / washing powder etc.
They do sell larger items and most electrical scone with a good warranty. For around £30 to try it, give it a go and see.
We mix it up .
Aldi for most things .
But Costco for bottled water , toilet rolls , kitchen roll , bleach , washing powder , cereal and porridge , meats are of a very high quality but expensive compared to aldi , also we get lots of frozen items like the chicken nuggets which are real chicken ! Fish , deserts like cheesecake factory desert , some clothes are good and electrical sometimes come on good offers .
Fuel is a little cheaper than Asda and is meant to be really good quality.
Been a member for over 20 years now and love the place.
ktm66621/10/2019 13:40

Don’t expect much cheaper than the supermarkets, but you tend to get b …Don’t expect much cheaper than the supermarkets, but you tend to get better quality for the same money. General household things are cheaper - toilet roll / washing powder etc. They do sell larger items and most electrical scone with a good warranty. For around £30 to try it, give it a go and see.

Thanks, I think we'll give it a go. Especially in the lead up to Christmas
yozzman123421/10/2019 13:45

We mix it up .Aldi for most things .But Costco for bottled water , toilet …We mix it up .Aldi for most things .But Costco for bottled water , toilet rolls , kitchen roll , bleach , washing powder , cereal and porridge , meats are of a very high quality but expensive compared to aldi , also we get lots of frozen items like the chicken nuggets which are real chicken ! Fish , deserts like cheesecake factory desert , some clothes are good and electrical sometimes come on good offers . Fuel is a little cheaper than Asda and is meant to be really good quality. Been a member for over 20 years now and love the place.

Thanks, sounds like what we're looking for to be honest. Aldi is our main supermarket for fresh stuff as the quality and prices are very good but it's the long shelf life items which would be good to stock up on and even better if they're a good quality and cheaper.
Costco isn't so much about cheap prices, its more about great quality.
Yes you can save on some items by buying in bulk but for most things Lidl and Aldi are cheaper.

For electricals Costco customer service is second to none, you could literally take a TV back in 3 yrs and say you want to return it as you don't like the picture quality and they will give you a full refund.

For groceries Costco quality is outstanding but not cheap.
I'll 2nd the
yozzman123421/10/2019 13:45

We mix it up .Aldi for most things .But Costco for bottled water , toilet …We mix it up .Aldi for most things .But Costco for bottled water , toilet rolls , kitchen roll , bleach , washing powder , cereal and porridge , meats are of a very high quality but expensive compared to aldi , also we get lots of frozen items like the chicken nuggets which are real chicken ! Fish , deserts like cheesecake factory desert , some clothes are good and electrical sometimes come on good offers . Fuel is a little cheaper than Asda and is meant to be really good quality. Been a member for over 20 years now and love the place.

The chicken nuggets are the best
Not with aldi around
Uridium21/10/2019 15:45

Costco isn't so much about cheap prices, its more about great quality.Yes …Costco isn't so much about cheap prices, its more about great quality.Yes you can save on some items by buying in bulk but for most things Lidl and Aldi are cheaper.For electricals Costco customer service is second to none, you could literally take a TV back in 3 yrs and say you want to return it as you don't like the picture quality and they will give you a full refund.For groceries Costco quality is outstanding but not cheap.

Agreed

They have some great discounts every month too.

Plus they are the cheapest for car yres if you need them
OP if it’s purely groceries then no I would say, if you shop at Aldi then you won’t save at Costco because it’s completely different quality and quantity.

Groceries aside you’ll save money on -

Fuel.
Toilet rolls.
Booze.
Washing powder.
Fresh Meat.
TVs.

And lots of other things aside.

If you want to get a better understanding of the savings sign up to Costco’s newsletter online - they will email you every fortnight or so with member savings..

Personally I find the fuel is far better then anywhere else both price and more MPG so I can honestly say the fuel alone outweighs the cost of the membership easily but others might say different.
PennyTrader21/10/2019 22:19

OP if it’s purely groceries then no I would say, if you shop at Aldi then y …OP if it’s purely groceries then no I would say, if you shop at Aldi then you won’t save at Costco because it’s completely different quality and quantity.Groceries aside you’ll save money on - Fuel.Toilet rolls.Booze.Washing powder.Fresh Meat.TVs.And lots of other things aside.If you want to get a better understanding of the savings sign up to Costco’s newsletter online - they will email you every fortnight or so with member savings..Personally I find the fuel is far better then anywhere else both price and more MPG so I can honestly say the fuel alone outweighs the cost of the membership easily but others might say different.

Thanks for the in depth opinion. Really helpful.
PennyTrader21/10/2019 22:19

OP if it’s purely groceries then no I would say, if you shop at Aldi then y …OP if it’s purely groceries then no I would say, if you shop at Aldi then you won’t save at Costco because it’s completely different quality and quantity.Groceries aside you’ll save money on - Fuel.Toilet rolls.Booze.Washing powder.Fresh Meat.TVs.And lots of other things aside.If you want to get a better understanding of the savings sign up to Costco’s newsletter online - they will email you every fortnight or so with member savings..Personally I find the fuel is far better then anywhere else both price and more MPG so I can honestly say the fuel alone outweighs the cost of the membership easily but others might say different.

Aren't the fuel the same everywhere (petrol), how would it give you more mpg. I normally fill up at Asda or Morrisons, sometimes shell
The fuel is of the same quality as shell and not regular supermarket stuff and the cheapest around. Membership is definitely worth it in my opinion.

Lots of products are cheaper in Costco but if you don’t buy them yourself you won’t realise. Some shampoos etc are cheaper, you might get a pack of 2 for the price of one bottle in boots.
I really think this depends on what you buy and where normally.

If you buy everything in Aldi, then you won't save huge quantities of money as you'll be trading their own brand for Costco's low priced brands. If you buy Shampoo in Boots then you may save a couple of pennies.

I was never really over enamoured with Costco, I'm not renewing this year, I really only head in for fuel if I'm passing.

I have the same kinda distance to travel to get there as you around 30 miles in each direction.

Toilet rolls is about all I'll miss, but I'm not paying £26 a year to get them, so I stocked up.

They'll refund your membership at any point during the year though so there's no risk if you meet the criteria.
360finder22/10/2019 09:31

I really think this depends on what you buy and where normally.If you buy …I really think this depends on what you buy and where normally.If you buy everything in Aldi, then you won't save huge quantities of money as you'll be trading their own brand for Costco's low priced brands. If you buy Shampoo in Boots then you may save a couple of pennies.I was never really over enamoured with Costco, I'm not renewing this year, I really only head in for fuel if I'm passing.I have the same kinda distance to travel to get there as you around 30 miles in each direction.Toilet rolls is about all I'll miss, but I'm not paying £26 a year to get them, so I stocked up. They'll refund your membership at any point during the year though so there's no risk if you meet the criteria.

Thanks, I get what you're saying. Think it'll be worth a try especially if they refund you during the year if need be.
astrapartytime21/10/2019 23:16

Aren't the fuel the same everywhere (petrol), how would it give you more …Aren't the fuel the same everywhere (petrol), how would it give you more mpg. I normally fill up at Asda or Morrisons, sometimes shell

I don’t know how it works... it’s quite a contentious issue if you read the other fuel price posts! All I know for sure is that my previous car that I owned for 6years had increased fuel economy (51.9 town driving) and far better life per tank in my last 6 months of owning it than ever before, despite it being a 7yr old diesel estate! (I only joined Costco earlier this year). Apparently it’s something to do with the extra additives that keep the engine running smoothly compared to watered down supermarket fuel.
Edited by: "shelliebish" 22nd Oct
porradude22/10/2019 09:46

Thanks, I get what you're saying. Think it'll be worth a try especially if …Thanks, I get what you're saying. Think it'll be worth a try especially if they refund you during the year if need be.

But I read somewhere that once they've refunded you, you won't be able to join in the future
It’s worth it just to eat your lunch when there £1.50 for a hotdog and refill juice

But in all seriousness great quality chicken red meat veg cakes etc and lots of bulk buy opportunities defo worth it
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants