Groups

Could be a silly question.. but I don't know the answer!

If I were to have a wall socket that's turned on, would it use any electricity?
    There's nothing plugged into the socket.

A bit random, but might spark some debate!

18 Comments

stick a fork in it and see.

No. It's an open circuit, impossible for current to flow.

No it wouldnt

Ps , liked your 'spark debate' comment

surely no as you not using any electric, its not going anywhere?

I'd say no too.

No, unless it's one of those sockets with a light indicator :thumbsup:

Original Poster

skusey;6205131

No it wouldntPs , liked your 'spark debate' comment

haha, not even intentional !! :lol:

Suppose you leave the boiler on but no hot water running, are you still paying for gas?

Abvance;6205222

Suppose you leave the boiler on but no hot water running, are you still … Suppose you leave the boiler on but no hot water running, are you still paying for gas?

Yes, there is a pilot light. What does that have to do with this though?

starsparkle2311;6205110

yes it would

It will use an unmeasurably small amount. Even with a neon indicator it will use a tiny amount, but without any sort of light you could consider it to use nothing. The switch being on or off will have no effect.

Things are different though if its something like a shaver adapter, where a transformer coil is connected to the mains when the switch is on...

jah128;6205259

Yes, there is a pilot light. What does that have to do with this though?

+2

No current will flow, no electricity 'used'.

starsparkle2311;6205124

:?

Well, it's true. 240VAC isn't enough to bridge the airgap in the socket, so nothing can go through. Someone mentioned neons, which I admit I didn't think of, but since they weren't mentioned I assume they aren't there.

Switched on and nothing plugged in?
    The electricity will leak out of the socket and run down the skirting board. You can prevent this by shoving your fingers in the holes to bung them up.:shock:

What about if something's plugged in, but not turned on?

Something without a stand-by light obviously, like a kettle or toaster

sancho1983;6205622

What about if something's plugged in, but not turned on? Something … What about if something's plugged in, but not turned on? Something without a stand-by light obviously, like a kettle or toaster

Varies widely from appliance to appliance. Simple things like kettles and toasters, as you mentioned, draw negligible power when not actually in use, but there is most likely some leakage. TVs and monitors draw a bit more; but even then it varies between manufacturers and models.

sancho1983;6205622

What about if something's plugged in, but not turned on? Something … What about if something's plugged in, but not turned on? Something without a stand-by light obviously, like a kettle or toaster

Same principle applies for a kettle and a toaster, and most other AC items...

doberman;6205520

Switched on and nothing plugged in?The electricity will leak out of the … Switched on and nothing plugged in?The electricity will leak out of the socket and run down the skirting board. You can prevent this by shoving your fingers in the holes to bung them up.:shock:

You joke about this but I knew a house where all the plugs has dummy plugs fitted to stop the electricity leaking out and couldn't be convinced otherwise

John
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a pair of running shoes up to the value of £100 with UKRunChat99
      2. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2324
      3. Win a two day trip to Greenwich with VisitLondon22
      4. Win a VIP West End break with VisitLondon33

See more discussions