Could Microsoft be gearing up to acquire EA, Valve & PUBG Corp?

Editor 21
Found 30th Jan
Well if the rumours play off as true, it certainly looks a possibility.

2885981.jpg
According to the guys at IGN - "A reliable source close to Microsoft" told Polygon the news, with reports of "internal shifts" at Microsoft creating the necessary situation for an acquisition.

SuperDataResearch analyst Joost Van Dreunen further told Polygon that he expects more news about an acquisition soon.

"Because of where we are in the lifecycle of all these things, I’m expecting to hear Microsoft announce something very, very shortly".

According to other sources on the internet, Microsoft currently have around $135 billion in the kitty to play around with. An acquisition of EA, for example would likely cost Microsoft $35 billion.
Community Updates
  1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
21 Comments
Would be intresting to see how this plays out. Could give microsoft that edge but i dont think it will save them this gen. Maybe next gen 🤔
PUBG CORP in my eyes be a very good idea for MS to keep it as an exclusive to pc/xbox weather you like it or not was the biggest game of last year and has sold plenty of consoles for microsoft, if they keep it exclusive would help them with there own exclusives being so bad at the minute compared to ps
Edited by: "gopolog86" 30th Jan
Would be a great thing to happen, but don't think it will be a game changer. EA releases are cliche. Repeat of same titles every year. But on the other news, I heard Nintendo is going to acquire Box Factory and Unbox instead.
EA share holders wouldn't allow it, hostile maybe, but that'd take years.

Pretty telling of Microsoft's plans though if true. It would kind of confirm their desire to step away from hardware development.
Krooner9 m ago

EA share holders wouldn't allow it, hostile maybe, but that'd take years. …EA share holders wouldn't allow it, hostile maybe, but that'd take years. Pretty telling of Microsoft's plans though if true. It would kind of confirm their desire to step away from hardware development.

Maybe Bill Gates was a massive Command and Conquer fan and is still bitter by EA's closure of Westwood so he plans to buy EA and exact his revenge by closing it.
RossD8913 m ago

Maybe Bill Gates was a massive Command and Conquer fan and is still bitter …Maybe Bill Gates was a massive Command and Conquer fan and is still bitter by EA's closure of Westwood so he plans to buy EA and exact his revenge by closing it.

We can but dream.
I'd be very surprised with valve.
I remember EA trying buy them a few years back.

google.co.uk/amp…mp/
Original Poster Editor
geebeegooner3 m ago

I'd be very surprised with valve.I remember EA trying buy them a few years …I'd be very surprised with valve.I remember EA trying buy them a few years back.https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/ea-almost-bought-valve-for-1-billion/amp/

That had to be a low ball offer, surely?
BuzzDuraband7 m ago

That had to be a low ball offer, surely?

Twas half what the market value was.
Very Wenger like. Surprised they didn't bid $1 billion and a $

Dread to think how much valve is worth now as steam has gone from strength to strength in years.
Original Poster Editor
geebeegooner17 m ago

Twas half what the market value was.Very Wenger like. Surprised they …Twas half what the market value was.Very Wenger like. Surprised they didn't bid $1 billion and a $ Dread to think how much valve is worth now as steam has gone from strength to strength in years.

Acquire Valve, announce Half Life 3 as a console exclusive on Xbox One and have a little giggle on your way to the bank.
Just looked online and Valve isn't worth nearly as much as I thought it would be esp with Steam, 3 Billion doesn't sound much in the greater scheme, its the only 3 Valve recognises though

The Idea of MS buying Valve sounds about right though, they seem to have aspirations to create the Netflix of gaming..
BuzzDuraband1 h, 4 m ago

Acquire Valve, announce Half Life 3 as a console exclusive on Xbox One and …Acquire Valve, announce Half Life 3 as a console exclusive on Xbox One and have a little giggle on your way to the bank.

What dreams are made of bud
Ninjesus1 h, 8 m ago

Just looked online and Valve isn't worth nearly as much as I thought it …Just looked online and Valve isn't worth nearly as much as I thought it would be esp with Steam, 3 Billion doesn't sound much in the greater scheme, its the only 3 Valve recognises though :DThe Idea of MS buying Valve sounds about right though, they seem to have aspirations to create the Netflix of gaming..

I thought they should have bought valve rather than Mojang. Though i do like minecraft.
CoeK20 m ago

I thought they should have bought valve rather than Mojang. Though i do …I thought they should have bought valve rather than Mojang. Though i do like minecraft.

People should remember that this would be the model here. A Microsoft buyout of EA or Valve isn't going to mean X1 exclusive 'FIFA' or 'Portal 3', in the same way it didn't for 'Minecraft'. In fact, in the case of Valve, it'll be the Steam platform that'll be peaking their interest, not the IP catalogue. I'd wager we'd see less games from Valve under MS ownership, if that's actually possible.
I think MS buying EA would be a good thing from the viewpoint that EA couldn't possibly get any worse so any change would be a positive one, I'd probably be wrong and EA would become the evil super power it always wanted to be under microsoft.

I am hoping the acquisition of PUBG would lead to the game improving if the makers have more resources from MS, though the crate system has become very dumb with the inclusion of key locked crates.

I forsee the hypothetical scenario of MS owning valve being terrible though, as a platform the experience using steam for me has been insumountibly better than any experience with a MS product
If SuperDataResearch say it, it most be true. They don't make crap tons of money making stuff up all of the time at all.
Felicitous33 m ago

I think MS buying EA would be a good thing from the viewpoint that EA …I think MS buying EA would be a good thing from the viewpoint that EA couldn't possibly get any worse so any change would be a positive one, I'd probably be wrong and EA would become the evil super power it always wanted to be under microsoft.

Microsoft are a company that the Department of Justice found guilty of monopolising, they were sued by 20 individual US states.

When they put out Internet Explorer 4.0 it was so insecure visiting a website came with a risk of your hard drive being formatted (It sounds like I'm kidding here. I'm not.) They FORCED users to install and use this software.

They force-shipped Vista on systems that weren't good enough to run it out of the box. You'd get memory warnings on first boot!

They cut software support on the original Xbox the second that it became profitable.

They forced "metro" on Windows 8 users (despite negative feedback from the beta) in (what seemed to be) a misguided attempt to propel touch screen monitor sales. It didn't work.

The Xbox one "No used games!" launch debacle?

I'm sure there's stuff I'm forgetting. Point is; MS and EA are cut from the same cloth. It's that same "baby-boomer" corporate mentality, ostensibly they're a match made in heaven. While I doubt EA would be any worse, I'm confident in saying that it wouldn't get any better, especially as it would give MS a built in fall-guy.
I think Microsoft should acquire Sony's PlayStation division

*runs and hides from the fanboys*
RossD896 h, 26 m ago

Maybe Bill Gates was a massive Command and Conquer fan and is still bitter …Maybe Bill Gates was a massive Command and Conquer fan and is still bitter by EA's closure of Westwood so he plans to buy EA and exact his revenge by closing it.

Or perhaps he's secretly after the Magic Carpet licence?
Pink_Yoshi_Rebel_Army1 h, 38 m ago

I think Microsoft should acquire Sony's PlayStation division *runs …I think Microsoft should acquire Sony's PlayStation division *runs and hides from the fanboys*

33167287-E4bhN.jpg
33167442-iTOcn.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants