Could my ISP be throttling my connection? VPN works fine

Found 20th MarEdited by:"Frank30uk"
Hi,

I am hoping somebody can help me with this! I am pretty tech savvy but stumped on this one!?.

I have the Firefox browser installed on my Desktop PC. Over the last few days I have been experiencing a slow connection when connecting to websites, often the webpage will not load at all. This is on several websites, not just the one. After doing a refresh the page will load up and all is well again. Pretty odd and very frustrating!

I figured it could be malware or a browser issue so ran some scans but nothing detected. I tried IE & Chrome and guess what... Same exact problem. So I know the issue is not with my browser but still the possibility of Malware or an issue with my router.

I then discovered the same exact problem when using my Laptop, Tablet & iphone. Now I am thinking router problem or ISP throttling for sure.
So I have reset my router and still the issue remains, slow Internet & connection dropping out. Next thing that came to mind is installing a VPN client!

So I have installed IP Vanish and suddenly my Desktop PC is working just fine on the Internet. As soon as I turn my VPN client off I have the same issue again.

VPN turned off = Bad Internet
VPN turned on = all good

Could this be my ISP throttling my connection?

Cheers
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
38 Comments
Solution = Browse with VPN turned on Frank
Go in your setting and disable hardware acceleration when available click.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 20th Mar
Original Poster
RiverDragon82 m ago

Go in your setting and disable hardware acceleration when available.

Thanks, will give this a try...
Which ISP

Tell EU Courts and they'll give them a big fine if they find out they've been breaking Net Neutrality laws
Have you tried using a speed checker (e.g. broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk or www.speedtest.btwholesale.com).
Theoretically it should be slower over a VPN as you'll likely be going out of country on top of the encryption being used.
If it's still faster when using VPN it's likely that your ISP is utilising some form of traffic/packet management.
Try a different browser. If it doesn’t happen in another browser then it’s Firefox perhaps a corrupt add-in.
Original Poster
Norseg50 m ago

Which ISPTell EU Courts and they'll give them a big fine if they find out …Which ISPTell EU Courts and they'll give them a big fine if they find out they've been breaking Net Neutrality laws

It`s Plusnet. I have been with them for years and never had any issue until now. Speed has been better today but still having issue with sites not loading completely or sometimes taking an age to load...

Maybe I should contact them and explain.
Original Poster
Spango48 m ago

Have you tried using a speed checker (e.g. www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk …Have you tried using a speed checker (e.g. www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk or www.speedtest.btwholesale.com).Theoretically it should be slower over a VPN as you'll likely be going out of country on top of the encryption being used.If it's still faster when using VPN it's likely that your ISP is utilising some form of traffic/packet management.

Just tried this now. Results are:-

without VPN
---------------
14.5 mbps download
0.63 upload

with VPN
-----------
4.07 mbps download
0.55 upload

I`m on ADSL and always had around 6/7mbps download when doing speedtest in recent months? suddenly it`s saying 14.5 now, wow! lol
It could be a simple routing issue, different ISP's will send traffic in different directions depending on peering/transit agreements or DNS related.
Try running a trace and see which way the traffic flows with and without the VPN.
Original Poster
cmdr_elito21 m ago

Try a different browser. If it doesn’t happen in another browser then it’s …Try a different browser. If it doesn’t happen in another browser then it’s Firefox perhaps a corrupt add-in.

Tried several browsers on different devices and it`s the same result. Cheers
Edited by: "Frank30uk" 20th Mar
Original Poster
Ok, something interesting to note here...

I normally download files @ 600-700kbps on average. I just tried a download from Filehippo website and got 1.8MB/Sec

I never get download speeds like this! I can only think my issue is the ISP improving my bandwidth! Maybe my connection will stable over the coming days until my ISP distinguish the best possible speed for the line? possible?
Frank30uk8 m ago

Tried several browsers on different devices and it`s the same result. …Tried several browsers on different devices and it`s the same result. Cheers

Looks like your getting faster speeds without the VPN (unless posted wrong) so this could be that your VPN company is having issues.

Try rebooting your router or updating the firmware (if non ISP issued router) as that can sometimes help.

Additionally try and check what devices are connected to the router, does the issue occur on phones or tablets? If not you may have some malware/virus.
Original Poster
ItWasNotMe8 m ago

It could be a simple routing issue, different ISP's will send traffic in …It could be a simple routing issue, different ISP's will send traffic in different directions depending on peering/transit agreements or DNS related.Try running a trace and see which way the traffic flows with and without the VPN.

will look into this. I did check my DNS settings in router which were correct. Will have to do a trace route or something in CMD
Frank30uk3 m ago

Ok, something interesting to note here...I normally download files @ …Ok, something interesting to note here...I normally download files @ 600-700kbps on average. I just tried a download from Filehippo website and got 1.8MB/SecI never get download speeds like this! I can only think my issue is the ISP improving my bandwidth! Maybe my connection will stable over the coming days until my ISP distinguish the best possible speed for the line? possible?

Possible or maybe you need to reboot your router to allow for updates to be pushed through to it by your ISP.
Original Poster
cmdr_elito5 m ago

Looks like your getting faster speeds without the VPN (unless posted …Looks like your getting faster speeds without the VPN (unless posted wrong) so this could be that your VPN company is having issues.Try rebooting your router or updating the firmware (if non ISP issued router) as that can sometimes help.Additionally try and check what devices are connected to the router, does the issue occur on phones or tablets? If not you may have some malware/virus.

I am getting faster speeds without VPN as expected. I did reset/reboot and even update the firmware on my Router but still had the same problem over several devices in my household. As mentioned though I now suspect that the issue is my ISP doing tests on my line to see how quick they can get it (hoping!)

My wife did receive a letter from my ISP just recently but lost it... maybe that was them informing us of this, haha.
Frank30uk2 m ago

I am getting faster speeds without VPN as expected. I did reset/reboot and …I am getting faster speeds without VPN as expected. I did reset/reboot and even update the firmware on my Router but still had the same problem over several devices in my household. As mentioned though I now suspect that the issue is my ISP doing tests on my line to see how quick they can get it (hoping!)My wife did receive a letter from my ISP just recently but lost it... maybe that was them informing us of this, haha.

More than likely! Sounds like positive progress once stabilised!

I’m luckily on 300mb virgin which I believe will be increased to 350mb soon!!
Original Poster
Thanks for all the help guys/girls. Maybe this will get better over the coming days. Will continue monitoring the speed and use of VPN, non VPN to see what happens.

Will keep you posted (incase your interested)

Might also be worth signing up for a free vpn (something different to what you have) and trying that to see if that improves it.
Original Poster
cmdr_elito2 m ago

More than likely! Sounds like positive progress once stabilised! I’m l …More than likely! Sounds like positive progress once stabilised! I’m luckily on 300mb virgin which I believe will be increased to 350mb soon!!

Sweet! I`m catching you up.......... haha! thanks for your help
Original Poster
cmdr_elito2 m ago

Might also be worth signing up for a free vpn (something different to what …Might also be worth signing up for a free vpn (something different to what you have) and trying that to see if that improves it.

Will look into the free VPN`s. I think it`s a good idea to use one. Right now I am paying £7 a month for ip Vanish but it`s worth every penny I think.
So VPN is actually slower ... which I'd expect. Upload is always much less, and not overly important for most people.

Assuming you're doing the test over wifi, it could be that oner or more of your neighbours have recently got broadband (or perhaps just changed routers), and you're now suffering from contention. First thing I'd look at is what channel your wireless router is broadcasting your SSID on. Any make/model of router will usually come with the same default, so if you've got BT, and a couple of your neighbours also get BT, you'll likely all be on the same channel and all experience crappy throughpuit due to contention.

There are loads of phone apps out there (search 'wifi analyzer' or similar) which can help identify what channels are being used by local wifi setups. Channel 1,6, or 11 are preferable as they don't overlap, but I'd normally get well away from Channel 1 as it tends to be a default for lots of wifi routers. If your through put has suddenly dropped recently, it could be as simple as that

The other (much less likely) possibility is that if you're on BT (or LLU service), performance can degrade if your phone line is in underground conduits that get a bit flooded. If you disconnect your filter from he phone socket where your service comes in to your house and leave it for 15 mins (or ideally up to 30), a BT system called RAMBo notices loss of service to your line and resets your line. But as I say, that's much less likely.

Good luck!
Original Poster
Spango22 m ago

So VPN is actually slower ... which I'd expect. Upload is always much …So VPN is actually slower ... which I'd expect. Upload is always much less, and not overly important for most people.Assuming you're doing the test over wifi, it could be that oner or more of your neighbours have recently got broadband (or perhaps just changed routers), and you're now suffering from contention. First thing I'd look at is what channel your wireless router is broadcasting your SSID on. Any make/model of router will usually come with the same default, so if you've got BT, and a couple of your neighbours also get BT, you'll likely all be on the same channel and all experience crappy throughpuit due to contention.There are loads of phone apps out there (search 'wifi analyzer' or similar) which can help identify what channels are being used by local wifi setups. Channel 1,6, or 11 are preferable as they don't overlap, but I'd normally get well away from Channel 1 as it tends to be a default for lots of wifi routers. If your through put has suddenly dropped recently, it could be as simple as thatThe other (much less likely) possibility is that if you're on BT (or LLU service), performance can degrade if your phone line is in underground conduits that get a bit flooded. If you disconnect your filter from he phone socket where your service comes in to your house and leave it for 15 mins (or ideally up to 30), a BT system called RAMBo notices loss of service to your line and resets your line. But as I say, that's much less likely.Good luck!

I am on WiFi but only 10ft from router (wife hates cables, another story...lol). I did notice another Plusnet router name in my wireless connections so believe you are right, somebody may have just got BB installed.
I`m on channel 11 right now so could try switching that to another channel. I do recall using an App which shows you channel overlap, very handy!. I must also add that I changed my wall filter with a new one but have not tried the disconnect trick you mentioned about, I will definitely look into that one.

Thanks so much Spango! I appreciate the help
cmdr_elito32 m ago

More than likely! Sounds like positive progress once stabilised! I’m l …More than likely! Sounds like positive progress once stabilised! I’m luckily on 300mb virgin which I believe will be increased to 350mb soon!!

So what are the actual speeds your getting
Original Poster
ding2 m ago

So what are the actual speeds your getting

without VPN
---------------
14.5 mbps download
0.63 upload

with VPN
-----------
4.07 mbps download
0.55 upload

I normally get 6-7mbps download (without VPN) which has increased now. My only explanation is that my ISP is doing something with the line and it`s taking a moment for my Internet to stabalise.
Edited by: "Frank30uk" 20th Mar
Frank30uk3 m ago

I am on WiFi but only 10ft from router (wife hates cables, another …I am on WiFi but only 10ft from router (wife hates cables, another story...lol). I did notice another Plusnet router name in my wireless connections so believe you are right, somebody may have just got BB installed. I`m on channel 11 right now so could try switching that to another channel. I do recall using an App which shows you channel overlap, very handy!. I must also add that I changed my wall filter with a new one but have not tried the disconnect trick you mentioned about, I will definitely look into that one. Thanks so much Spango! I appreciate the help

My pleasure, Frank. I'll expect a discount at my local Premier Inn.
Frank30uk5 m ago

without VPN---------------14.5 mbps download0.63 uploadwith …without VPN---------------14.5 mbps download0.63 uploadwith VPN-----------4.07 mbps download0.55 uploadI normally get 6-7mbps download (without VPN) which has increased now. My only explanation is that my ISP is doing something with the line and it`s taking a moment for my Internet to stabalise.

I read that, i was just wondering what speeds cmdr_elito was getting out of his 300mb virgin advertised speeds
Original Poster
ding54 s ago

I read that, i was just wondering what speeds cmdr_elito was getting out …I read that, i was just wondering what speeds cmdr_elito was getting out of his 300mb virgin advertised speeds

Lol! Sorry
ding19 m ago

I read that, i was just wondering what speeds cmdr_elito was getting out …I read that, i was just wondering what speeds cmdr_elito was getting out of his 300mb virgin advertised speeds

About 270mb down over WiFi to my PC in room above the router.
Frank30uk56 m ago

Will look into the free VPN`s. I think it`s a good idea to use one. Right …Will look into the free VPN`s. I think it`s a good idea to use one. Right now I am paying £7 a month for ip Vanish but it`s worth every penny I think.

There’s been a number of them posted on here I think windscribe is one that comes up a lot.

It was more just to test if you got a better connection
and speed. If you did then you could try changing to another Vpn.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 20th Mar
cmdr_elito4 m ago

Just remind people that not every device will get this, your WiFi speeds are only dependent on the device maximum speeds that it can get.
Wow your using speeds from
The late 90s . Ditch them and get s proper connection
Frank30uk1 h, 49 m ago

Lol! Sorry

cmdr_elito1 h, 31 m ago

I was just wondering cos i was on their 200mb and was getting less than 100mb so ended up taking their 100mb package and now im getting the same speeds for less money per month
Edited by: "ding" 21st Mar
After reading this I tried the same using my mobile phone with the Speed test app without VPN I got 31.4 mb down & 18.1 up with VPN turned on I got 58.9 up & 16.3 down I’m on Talk Talk 80mb ?? Similar results
Public DNS ServersYour home router is likely set by default to use your ISP’s DNS servers, which may or may not be very reliable. There are a number of third-party DNS serversavailable as well. Personally, I prefer OpenDNS (208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222) and Google Public DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).

Every major DNS service has at least primary and secondary servers to ensure that requests will always be answered. When changing DNS server settings, you’ll want to make sure that you specify at least two servers, although you can include more if you want.

computers.tutsplus.com/tut…232
ding6 h, 53 m ago

I was just wondering cos i was on their 200mb and was getting less than …I was just wondering cos i was on their 200mb and was getting less than 100mb so ended up taking their 100mb package and now im getting the same speeds for less money per month

Did you upgrade your router to the super hub 3? I had a similar problem until I upgraded the hub, seems the older hub I had wasn’t capable of going above 100mb. Additionally you’ll need to use 5ghz to get the best speed of downloads!

5ghz has a shorter range but that can be improved by buying your own router (which can be plugged into the super hub and the hub put in modem only mode) and adding higher dbi aerials (to boost signal gain) or using mesh network devices such as google WiFi or BT WiFi to extend coverage (if using mesh expect around 10-15% speed loss but no dead spots in coverage if you buy the correct number of devices).
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 21st Mar
Try switching your DNS to Googles. As slow webpage loading can be a DNS issue rather than a speed one.

developers.google.com/spe…ns/
cmdr_elito3 h, 49 m ago

Did you upgrade your router to the super hub 3? I had a similar problem …Did you upgrade your router to the super hub 3? I had a similar problem until I upgraded the hub, seems the older hub I had wasn’t capable of going above 100mb. Additionally you’ll need to use 5ghz to get the best speed of downloads!5ghz has a shorter range but that can be improved by buying your own router (which can be plugged into the super hub and the hub put in modem only mode) and adding higher dbi aerials (to boost signal gain) or using mesh network devices such as google WiFi or BT WiFi to extend coverage (if using mesh expect around 10-15% speed loss but no dead spots in coverage if you buy the correct number of devices).

Yep got the super hub 3 i think its just the maximum i can get i think its over subscribed in our area, its still plenty fast enough for our use
Original Poster
Pleased to report that my Internet is working properly now... yay!

Thanks again for all the help
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants