Could some super smart person define this for me?

Found 14th Jan 2011
Having a little problem with the word discourse, if its on its own its defined as communication or something like that, but what would this mean.

"Competing discourses of gender, power and identity in the British National Health Service."

Dumbed down a little bit?

Many thanks!

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
9 Comments

agendas?

Formal speech or essay on a particular subject.

So your title would mean something along the lines;

A written collection of different views of gender, power and identity in the British National Health Service

Having not seen the rest of the document I would say that this is just politic speak for saying that several parties are fighting for a bigger slice of finite national health resources (money)

(_;) Monty Python sketch.......sorry discourse is off the menu

Banned

Someone waffling about playing doctors and nurses in the NHS

Having not seen the rest of the document I would say that this is just politic speak for saying that several parties are fighting for a bigger slice of finite national health resources (money)

Competing discourses, I would take to be varying opinions put forward in a debate. So if it's asking you for competing discourses of gender, power, etc, then I'd give all the possible arguments for, against and the particulars of each aspect etc from a variety of points of view. I imagine it's looking for a true variety, with sources and logical assumptions as to potential outcomes.

Its something that is put on a poster at hospital accident and emergency waiting areas to take your mind off the 4 hours waiting time......
Post a comment
@
    Text