Could someone recommend a 55” tv for £500

Posted 11th Sep 2020
Anyone have any ideas. It’s a minefield !
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
Pick up one of the Philips Ambilight TVs. Decent picture quality and the lights are a very nice feature
richersounds.com/tv-…tml
6 Year Warranty.
It's an MVA panel, so very slightly better colours and contrast than IPS and better viewing angles than normal VA
Philip's ambilight
That TV above will be significantly cheaper come black friday. Right now is one of the worst times to buy a TV. The 2019 stock is exhausted and the 2020 panels are all new and expensive.
DirtPoor11/09/2020 23:02

That TV above will be significantly cheaper come black friday. Right now …That TV above will be significantly cheaper come black friday. Right now is one of the worst times to buy a TV. The 2019 stock is exhausted and the 2020 panels are all new and expensive.

Historically yeah, Jan-March have usually been the best time to buy TVs like as seen in this 2018 Which article
which.co.uk/new…tv/

I don't know if we can make these assumptions this year due to the pandemic, supply being heavily affected at the start of the year with manufacturing closing down, then lock-down in spring forcing a lot of people to watch more TV than normal and deciding to upgrade their TVs.

In 2019 there was an overcapacity of LCD panels to by used in 2020 so production of panels for 2020 was going to be lower anyway before factories had to shutdown or scale down production.
There's even talks of Samsung Display and LG Display exiting production of TV panels, which could lead to higher TV prices, not to mention the mess the UK economy is in.

I don't think we'll see a massive price drop on it as it's already quite reasonably priced compared to the prices of the 2018 and 2019 models like the 55PUS6814 that's still priced around £600 uk.camelcamelcamel.com/pro…FTB
Edited by: "spruceyb" 12th Sep
Great information. Thank you.
DirtPoor12/09/2020 00:55

Great information. Thank you.

Hopefully things carry on the same way they always have, but I do worry, this could be the year that TV prices level out, especially with the budget offerings from TCL and Hisense being so compelling.
However we're starting to see some decent reductions on OLED year on year, Philips have a sub £1000 and it's not too bad either, especially when you consider adding the Ambilight tech to a LG or Sony TV would be another £400ish

Similar to how portable HDD drives did, I was mentioning to my GF the other day how crazy it is that a 1TB drive now is £40-45 and back in 2014-2015 we were paying £35 hotukdeals.com/dea…471
Post a comment
@
    Text