Expired

Could someone recommend a low power computer to act as a plex server (cheap)

5 replies
Found 16th Dec 2014
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a cheap low power (as it will be always on) computer for a media server that'll run plex server.

I've seen nas drives and second hand computers on ebay but not sure what the best options are. I don't think a NAS will be powerful enough to transcode up to three streams but I'm not looking to spend a lot if possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

5 Comments

An HP Microserver is regularly recommended on here. I have one - cost about £110 after HP gave £50 cashback. They seem to sporadically offer cashback on them. I then put 4 x 3GB WD Red in them - that was the biggest cost but runs like a dream!

Yup a NAS won't be up for transcoding. I built a AMD APU Athlon 5350 based mini-ITX based PC for just that purpose. Cost about £180 including 4GB RAM, mini-ITX motherboard, case and a small SSD. My files are stored on a separate NAS but you could stick a decent sized hard drive in the build instead. Works a treat. Though I need to find another cooler as the stock AMD one is noisy as hell.

Atom C2750 8 cores and low power

scan.co.uk/pro…itx
Edited by: "djnaff" 16th Dec 2014

Transcoding multiple streams will require a powerful cpu and decent memory. This tends to mean low power options are limited and expensive.

If the Zotac Pico is ever released in the UK it could be good
Edited by: "aaronjden" 18th Dec 2014
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. word association Game74244939
    2. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52522901
    3. Add one, leave one game54415485
    4. A1 Travel no longer trading!33

See more discussions