Groups

Could sunscreen cause cancer with its toxic ingredients? Which one Do I buy ?

Ok so I'm going away next week and I have been looking for a more organic suncream rather than the usual that you might find in most superstores. The reason for this is I have been reading up on sunscreens having certain toxic ingredients in that may actually cause cancer. Although this is not proven but a similar thing happened with a large company Johnsons in its baby powder, they admitted to using a cancer causing ingredient formaldehyde. My main concern is using creams on my 3 year old, these companies who make large profits that we trust without questioning. Our skin absorbs these chemicals and if we know these chemicals are harmful why do we still use them? ill put a short description up and you can research a bit yourself if you find it interesting like I do, I've read up on a few of the chemicals and the most popular ones known to cause harm are

Oxybenzone - Enters the bloodstream causing hormone disruption and cell damage, hormone disruption can increase estrogen and lead to breast cancer. So I read

Retinyl Palmitate - A form of vitamin A which can speed up the development of tumours when applied in the presence of the sun

Their is also other many other chemicals absorbed into the bloodstream from using sunscreen, I was reading something that said to use a more natural sunscreen with zinc or titanium in as these will reflect the uv rays but won't affect hormone balance. Do the creams benefits outweigh the risks? So many questions, I've read quite a bit but still not confident in what to buy. I find this very interesting any help is much appreciated, thanks.

14 Comments

Of course the benefits outweigh the risks. Google malignant melanoma.

Just buy some and enjoy your holiday

Aldi come out the best

I think the exposure rate of these toxins is too low to be a problem. I couldn't find these mentioned on my nivea sun spray. Pretty much you're surrounded by cancerous stuff from all angles, you just need to keep the exposure to these things as low as possible.

Oxybenzone is a weak oestrogen mimic. It may reduce testosterone levels. It is not a known carcinogen. UV light is a very potent carcinogen and a three year old may well pay the price decades later. May I suggest your research ONLY use results generated on Google Scholar. At least Scholar screens out the pseudo scientific quack sites run by idiots clutching Crystal Healing 'degrees'.

We took our son on his first foreign holiday when he was four. It was Majorca in April so it wasn't even that hot. One day we missed a little patch on his back and he got sunburned. Not badly but burned nonetheless. You can still see the mark and he will be 19 next month. I think you are over analysing . The risks from sun exposure far outweigh any potential carcinogenic side effects of sunscreen. Just buy the highest factor you can and don't sit out and fry and most of all, enjoy your holiday.

psychobitchfromhell

Of course the benefits outweigh the risks. Google malignant melanoma.

You and your family should always use suncream, a hat and find shade at the hottest time of the day. suncream needs to be reapplied every couple of hours and after playing in water. I lost my first husband to malignant melanoma , please don't risk your health.

I do not agree. The ordinary suncream plus sun will definitely damage yours child life. my son is artistic plus a lot other problems I've done a massive scientific research and I would not use it. when It's very hot like today I will use either organic people one or Jason. both can be purchase on Amazon or beta or a healthy shop.
    I don't want to go deep into the subjects and I'm not going to read what people are going to say but most scientist and those with Nobel will be the one to read about their work and things they were discovered are harmful to our health especially little ones.

kesi10032003

I do not agree. The ordinary suncream plus sun will definitely damage … I do not agree. The ordinary suncream plus sun will definitely damage yours child life. my son is artistic plus a lot other problems I've done a massive scientific research and I would not use it. when It's very hot like today I will use either organic people one or Jason. both can be purchase on Amazon or beta or a healthy shop. I don't want to go deep into the subjects and I'm not going to read what people are going to say but most scientist and those with Nobel will be the one to read about their work and things they were discovered are harmful to our health especially little ones.

​Do Amazon do tin foil hats too?

loumar76

You and your family should always use suncream, a hat and find shade at … You and your family should always use suncream, a hat and find shade at the hottest time of the day. suncream needs to be reapplied every couple of hours and after playing in water. I lost my first husband to malignant melanoma , please don't risk your health.

You can't be safe enough.

kesi10032003

I do not agree. The ordinary suncream plus sun will definitely damage … I do not agree. The ordinary suncream plus sun will definitely damage yours child life. my son is artistic plus a lot other problems I've done a massive scientific research and I would not use it. when It's very hot like today I will use either organic people one or Jason. both can be purchase on Amazon or beta or a healthy shop. I don't want to go deep into the subjects and I'm not going to read what people are going to say but most scientist and those with Nobel will be the one to read about their work and things they were discovered are harmful to our health especially little ones.

You cover your artistic child with organic people called Jason ????

psychobitchfromhell

You cover your artistic child with organic people called Jason ????

Lol

kesi1003200312 h, 29 m ago

I do not agree. The ordinary suncream plus sun will definitely damage …I do not agree. The ordinary suncream plus sun will definitely damage yours child life. my son is artistic plus a lot other problems I've done a massive scientific research and I would not use it. when It's very hot like today I will use either organic people one or Jason. both can be purchase on Amazon or beta or a healthy shop. I don't want to go deep into the subjects and I'm not going to read what people are going to say but most scientist and those with Nobel will be the one to read about their work and things they were discovered are harmful to our health especially little ones.

Ah, you're one of those people who doesn't trust peer reviewed studies but prefers to use untested "organic" stuff because there's no nasty people telling you that the stuff can be possibly useless, as well as damaging. What's worse, a tested product that tells you of the side effects, or a natural one that has had no scientific efficacy testing, let alone into side effects? I bet you like homeopathy too.

I'm going to give you a shock. Most of the most deadly carcinogens and poisons in the world are organic, and 100% made by nature. If you live your life associating man made with danger and natural with safe, I suggest you actually check how man made such lovely things like botulism, tetanus and other deadly poisons and illnesses are.

Edit: The risk of cancer is far higher without a good UVA/UVB blocking suncream than without, and if you want to risk any organic ones without Star ratings and official SPF testing, you're playing with fire. It's a risk I would never take.
    Edited by: "Stop_It" 19th Jun

kesi10032003

Oh man - that's hilarious!

Tell us all when you release your PhD on suncreams...

Edited by: "moob" 19th Jun
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Virgin Media TV56
      2. Do you use a case on your iPhone?33
      3. Tooth extraction99
      4. What's the most impressive 4k / UHD film you have seen at home?611

See more discussions