Could the filthy exploits of Harvey Weinstein blow the lid on Hollywood?

Found 10th Oct 2017
The disgusting exploits of producer Harvey Weinstein have
been exposed by the tabloids in lurid detail. But are the actions of this
slimeball anything new, considering that the so called “casting couch” has been
rumoured to be an essential stepping stone to Hollywood stardom. Infact the Wikipedia
page about this mentions how a Hollywood producer once exposed himself to Shirley Temple
when she was just 12.

Could the Weinstein case finally blow the lid on the dark
underbelly of Hollywood?
Community Updates
Misc
49 Comments
Yes definitely it will and probably some false claims as people chase the cash.
davewave14 m ago

Yes definitely it will and probably some false claims as people chase the …Yes definitely it will and probably some false claims as people chase the cash.

So you don't think its as bad as what its being made out to be?
Frankly it takes two to tango and funny how all these women are coming forward now they are washed up and old. .

It's wrong to blame victims, but how many are actual victims, I do wonder how many went a head for a pot of gold and now the works dried up all of a sudden its all terrible and they need another pot of gold to come to terms with it.

“How do I get out of the room as fast as possible without alienating Harvey Weinstein?” - Ashley Judd
Cant see it myself, nor can I see it changing, the balance of power is the hands of the ilk of Weinstein, there will always be a long line of wannabe actors willing to do anything to secure a role.
mudddy11 m ago

So you don't think its as bad as what its being made out to be?

Dont misunderstand me... again for you - I agree with your posit.
No.

Not even an oscar-nominated documentary maker could blow the lid on Hollywood.

'A Open Secret' has failed to get distribution time and time again. it's not even had a domestic deal for home video. It's been all but buried.
Frankly, I’m shocked, amazed and absolutely astounded that anything like this could go on within the squeaky-purity of Hollywood.
Sexual favours for career advancement, nothing new here. Not saying that it’s right but as some have already stated it takes two to tango, rape or forced assault then it’s another matter.

You’ll find the younger stars, big names or those still in regular employment keeping schtum, not wanting to get involved as coming forward with allegations would indubitably damage their career. Very sad situation but it’s a fact of life – those in power will sometimes abuse their position.
catbeans1 h, 8 m ago

...I do wonder how many went a head for a pot of gold...

Is that giving or receiving?
Someone should make a film about it.
I'd go see it download it for free
Reading the allegations it does seem to me to be blown out of proportion somewhat:

He asked Ashley Judd if he could massage her - she said no.
Awkward, uncomfortable but hardly abuse, does this mean every man who ever asked a woman for a massage is committing sexual abuse? Despite being rejected and not taking it further?

"Something" happened between him and Rose McGowan
At this stage we don't know what, she accepted a settlement at the time so not sure what the legal rights are.

He asked a woman to screen test in a bikini - she said no.
Um, ok, sleazy but again, she said no and he backed off.

He often walked around naked in front of women.
Once again, sleazy but they haven't said he touched them or abused them.

He masturbated in front of a woman.
Ok this is a bit much, the woman refused his advances and he didn't physically touch her. Certainly deserves to be prosecuted for this.

Yes he is clearly a dirty old man and a right sleaze, but he is being made out to be a rapist. He's a pervert who when turned down he accepted he didn't appear to physically force himself on them.
Indecent exposure and sexual harrassment certainly.
Satan_Claws11 m ago

Reading the allegations it does seem to me to be blown out of proportion …Reading the allegations it does seem to me to be blown out of proportion somewhat:He asked Ashley Judd if he could massage her - she said no. Awkward, uncomfortable but hardly abuse, does this mean every man who ever asked a woman for a massage is committing sexual abuse? Despite being rejected and not taking it further?"Something" happened between him and Rose McGowan At this stage we don't know what, she accepted a settlement at the time so not sure what the legal rights are.He asked a woman to screen test in a bikini - she said no. Um, ok, sleazy but again, she said no and he backed off.He often walked around naked in front of women. Once again, sleazy but they haven't said he touched them or abused them.He masturbated in front of a woman. Ok this is a bit much, the woman refused his advances and he didn't physically touch her. Certainly deserves to be prosecuted for this.Yes he is clearly a dirty old man and a right sleaze, but he is being made out to be a rapist. He's a pervert who when turned down he accepted he didn't appear to physically force himself on them.Indecent exposure and sexual harrassment certainly.

Do you have a young sister or daughter that has, or will in the future, embark on a career? Abuse of power in the worst way.
Just the tip of the iceberg. They won't dare look into his activities

More worryingly the authorities never look into the Paedos and Satanists that operate in LA.. because they are protected.
Edited by: "hooray.henry" 10th Oct 2017
hooray.henry19 m ago

Just the tip of the iceberg. They won't dare look into his activitiesMore …Just the tip of the iceberg. They won't dare look into his activitiesMore worryingly the authorities never look into the Paedos and Satanists that operate in LA.. because they are protected.

You know that institutions like 'The Church of Satan' or 'The Satanic Temple' don't actually worship Satan don't you? There's a really great 'Stuff you Should Know' podcast on the topic here.

I'm sure there's a family of lunatics somewhere in the world sacrificing virgins and romancing goats, but it's not a pandemic anything.
Nothing new here.

Same all over the world.

Much worse in many places.

Some sleazeball getting exposed - good - but for every one exposed there's probably a million more hidden.
Don't have to be rich, powerful or in the States to be a sleazeball.
so what are the lurid details?
Krooner1 h, 40 m ago

You know that institutions like 'The Church of Satan' or 'The Satanic …You know that institutions like 'The Church of Satan' or 'The Satanic Temple' don't actually worship Satan don't you? There's a really great 'Stuff you Should Know' podcast on the topic here. I'm sure there's a family of lunatics somewhere in the world sacrificing virgins and romancing goats, but it's not a pandemic anything.

" Ignorance is bliss "
Saturn1 h, 26 m ago

More to follow probably .....

Let me guess after it happened they were so traumatised all they could do is finish the project they were working on, pick up the check, pose for publicity with him then audition and maybe even act in another film with his name on it.
I feel this would be alot more credible if someone with something to lose came forward. Not saying it isn't true, just alot of nobodies coming forward.
Saturn1 h, 27 m ago

More to follow probably .....

Just reading Ben Affleck's quote on that article. There's simply absolutely no way this would have come as a shock to him, he just doesn't have the courage to admit he knew all along.
mk83 m ago

Just reading Ben Affleck's quote on that article. There's simply …Just reading Ben Affleck's quote on that article. There's simply absolutely no way this would have come as a shock to him, he just doesn't have the courage to admit he knew all along.

It is hard to believe given he dated Paltrow, who said it happened to her...
catbeans9 m ago

Let me guess after it happened they were so traumatised all they could do …Let me guess after it happened they were so traumatised all they could do is finish the project they were working on, pick up the check, pose for publicity with him then audition and maybe even act in another film with his name on it. I feel this would be alot more credible if someone with something to lose came forward. Not saying it isn't true, just alot of nobodies coming forward.

I'm sure you won't be the only victim blamer. We are all different - whatever gets you through the day, I guess.

mk88 m ago

Just reading Ben Affleck's quote on that article. There's simply …Just reading Ben Affleck's quote on that article. There's simply absolutely no way this would have come as a shock to him, he just doesn't have the courage to admit he knew all along.

Not many will come out of this with any credit. Hopefully it will at least make the current / next generation of 'moguls' think twice.
“The disgraceful news about Harvey Weinstein has appalled those of us whose work he championed, and those whose good and worthy causes he supported. The intrepid women who raised their voices to expose this abuse are our heroes.

One thing can be clarified. Not everybody knew. Harvey supported the work fiercely, was exasperating but respectful with me in our working relationship, and with many others with whom he worked professionally. I didn’t know about these other offenses: I did not know about his financial settlements with actresses and colleagues; I did not know about his having meetings in his hotel room, his bathroom, or other inappropriate, coercive acts. And If everybody knew, I don’t believe that all the investigative reporters in the entertainment and the hard news media would have neglected for decades to write about it.

The behavior is inexcusable, but the abuse of power familiar. Each brave voice that is raised, heard and credited by our watchdog media will ultimately change the game.”

- Meryl Streep

- Also Meryl Streep
“The fact that these women are starting to speak out about the gross misconduct of one of our most important and well regarded film producers, is incredibly brave and has been deeply shocking to hear. The way Harvey Weinstein has treated these vulnerable, talented young women is NOT the way women should ever EVER deem to be acceptable or commonplace in ANY workplace.

“I have no doubt that for these women this time has been, and continues to be extremely traumatic. I fully embrace and salute their profound courage, and I unequivocally support this level of very necessary exposure of someone who has behaved in reprehensible and disgusting ways. His behaviour is without question disgraceful and appalling and very, very wrong. I had hoped that these kind of stories were just made up rumours, maybe we have all been naïve. And it makes me so angry. There must be ‘no tolerance’ of this degrading, vile treatment of women in ANY workplace anywhere in the world.”

- Kate Winslet

"Of course one thinks about it. But at the same time, I didn’t know Woody and I don’t know anything about that family. As the actor in the film, you just have to step away and say, I don’t know anything, really, and whether any of it is true or false. Having thought it all through, you put it to one side and just work with the person. Woody Allen is an incredible director. So is Roman Polanski. I had an extraordinary working experience with both of those men, and that’s the truth."

- Also Kate Winslet
Saturn1 h, 0 m ago

I'm sure you won't be the only victim blamer. We are all different - …I'm sure you won't be the only victim blamer. We are all different - whatever gets you through the day, I guess.Not many will come out of this with any credit. Hopefully it will at least make the current / next generation of 'moguls' think twice.

I am not victim blaming I am questioning who is and who is not a victim, infact what the definition of victim is and what "forced himself on them sexually" (to quote the article) is.
catbeans5 m ago

I am not victim blaming I am questioning who is and who is not a victim, …I am not victim blaming I am questioning who is and who is not a victim, infact what the definition of victim is and what "forced himself on them sexually" (to quote the article) is.

You are victim blaming, by any definition. I trust you will realise that you are on the wrong side of this issue at some point in the future.
"filthy exploits"

do behave, these women gave themslevss on a silver platter to get a part, women do sexual favors in return for jobs, pay rises and a multitude of other things in every sector of society.

people are acting like this doesn't go on and is somehow something that only happens in hollywood.
Saturn33 m ago

You are victim blaming, by any definition. I trust you will realise that …You are victim blaming, by any definition. I trust you will realise that you are on the wrong side of this issue at some point in the future.

Looks like my response got deleted. So in short, no I have questions that's not victim blaming. Nor do I equate sexual favours with sexual forced abuse.
catbeans2 h, 59 m ago

Let me guess after it happened they were so traumatised all they could do …Let me guess after it happened they were so traumatised all they could do is finish the project they were working on, pick up the check, pose for publicity with him then audition and maybe even act in another film with his name on it. I feel this would be alot more credible if someone with something to lose came forward. Not saying it isn't true, just alot of nobodies coming forward.

It's a dirty cannabalistic world where everybody's got something on everybody, and they're just waiting for a moment like this when they think there's the opportunity to take down one of their own.

It really is scum v scum in that slimy disgusting world.
Saturn2 h, 59 m ago

Hopefully it will at least make the current / next generation of 'moguls' …Hopefully it will at least make the current / next generation of 'moguls' think twice.

Based on everything I've ever read about human nature, I really don't have any reason to think this shall make them think twice.

I expect they'll lay low for a while, become more secretive and harder to pin anything on, then carry on with their dirty business in their new improved safe place.
Edited by: "tryn2help" 10th Oct 2017
Rich powerful man( or woman) has some woman or man on the slippery pole of fame chuck themself at them or gets in an awkward place, what's new.
Look at the really ugly not filthy ones of history, Hitler Stalin etc that woman chucked themselves on that's truly abhorrent.
morrig19 m ago

Rich powerful man( or woman) has some woman or man on the slippery pole of …Rich powerful man( or woman) has some woman or man on the slippery pole of fame chuck themself at them or gets in an awkward place, what's new.Look at the really ugly not filthy ones of history, Hitler Stalin etc that woman chucked themselves on that's truly abhorrent.

So going by your previous thread about Peter Sutcliffe, I assume you feel that predatory behaviour and sexual deviancy is acceptable to you as long as the victims are not subsequently killed.
Saturn13 m ago

So going by your previous thread about Peter Sutcliffe, I assume you feel …So going by your previous thread about Peter Sutcliffe, I assume you feel that predatory behaviour and sexual deviancy is acceptable to you as long as the victims are not subsequently killed.

What a complete straw man and supposition, if you cant address someone's point, just attack them, lol.
Edited by: "catbeans" 11th Oct 2017
catbeans11 m ago

What a complete straw man and supposition, if you cant address someone's …What a complete straw man and supposition, if you cant address someone's point, just attack them, lol.

I realise you are still feeling sore about being highlighted as a victim blamer. On the bright side - at least you have company now.
Saturn32 m ago

I realise you are still feeling sore about being highlighted as a victim …I realise you are still feeling sore about being highlighted as a victim blamer. On the bright side - at least you have company now.

see cant actually address a point, just name call so you dont have to actually think about it.
catbeans5 m ago

see cant actually address a point, just name call so you dont have to …see cant actually address a point, just name call so you dont have to actually think about it.

I have specifically addressed your point. What point have you made other than blaming the victims for bringing it upon themselves?
What if this type of behaviour happened to a man? Would some of you be more sympathetic, or decide he must have been partly to blame too?

32235814-leQ3k.jpg

Here's the direct link if HUKD doesn't post a decent sized image

m.imgur.com/VE0…fOT
Saturn2 h, 48 m ago

I have specifically addressed your point. What point have you made other …I have specifically addressed your point. What point have you made other than blaming the victims for bringing it upon themselves?

My point is who is a victim and what constitutes a victim in this case? Or do we just take all that they are saying as fact and don't look into it as this would be "victim blaming"?
catbeans55 m ago

My point is who is a victim and what constitutes a victim in this case? Or …My point is who is a victim and what constitutes a victim in this case? Or do we just take all that they are saying as fact and don't look into it as this would be "victim blaming"?

The person(s) allegedly subjected to unsolicited sexual advances by a person of power and influence would constitute the potential victims in this case - in my opinion. Unfortunately attitudes such as victim blaming discourage a high percentage of these cases ever reaching a court of law. This victim blaming bias is also problematic when it is evident amongst a percentage of the jury who share your views on these matters, along with members of the judiciary itself. As things stand right now, there are 3 known allegations of rape, plus many personal experiences of young girls allegedly being asked to attend, alone, the hotel room of a powerful industry figure, only to find him naked beneath an open or closed gown, before variously asking them to engage in massages, acts of groping, have sexual intercourse, watch him masturbate, and who knows what else. I happen to think there is a lot more to come, and his exit on a private plane to Europe is motivated by matters in addition to treatment.

All the allegations should be examined by law enforcement professionals, and unless found to be groundless, placed before a court to prove his innocence or guilt.

Hope that clears things up. Who else do you feel could be the potential victim(s) in this case, catbeans? Harvey Weinstein? Or should the allegations just be ignored because "all these women are coming forward now they are washed up and old"?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants