Expired

Council house

Found 10th May
Does the council give you a Morgage on the right to buy or any plan of repayment i have been turn down by my bank for a morgage plz help
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
andree.braddick10 m ago

I just dont want to do any morgage with bank i am more interested to leanr …I just dont want to do any morgage with bank i am more interested to leanr anything to do with the council tbh .did anyone been offered some kind of morgage with THE COUNCIL plzzzzz

Council aren't mortgage brokers or lenders. You'll need to secure a mortgage from a financial institution of some sort in order to buy from the council. Why would the council lend you some of THEIR money to buy THEIR house? Just wouldn't make sense.
cdm2215 m ago

Suggesting to contact the council to see if that council can offer a …Suggesting to contact the council to see if that council can offer a mortgage on one of its council houses?! What madness is this?!

The same madness as someone joining upto a shopping deals website and first port of call is asking about why their mortgage declined and will council lend me money so can buy their house.

OP - A reputable company will explain exactly why mortgage declined, what options you have and not immediate resolutions you can look to implement now to try to have better chance of success in future.

Here's hoping you didn't complete your application using the same English grammar as your posts as that wouldn't leave positive impression.
25 Comments
What kind of morgage is it them giving me a morgage and we sort out payment
You need some good quality, professional as opposed to simple financial, advice. The financial advice comes a little later.

It sounds like you are new to the house buying game so please do be very wary of scams and conmen selling you financial products.

You should be able to get 30 mins with a Solicitor for free. Don't be proud or shy. Call a few firms and explain your situation. Ask if they will do an initial chat for free to advise you on the right way to go about this. Be prepared to tell them what you told the mortgage company and sign up for a 'free' Credit check with Experian (NOT one of the apps you see advertised on TV. Those are lifting your data and targeting you for sales). With the Experian data, you should be able to see why you have been refused and that will help a solicitor point you at a funding source for a mortgage.
I just dont want to do any morgage with bank i am more interested to leanr anything to do with the council tbh .did anyone been offered some kind of morgage with THE COUNCIL plzzzzz
andree.braddick10 m ago

I just dont want to do any morgage with bank i am more interested to leanr …I just dont want to do any morgage with bank i am more interested to leanr anything to do with the council tbh .did anyone been offered some kind of morgage with THE COUNCIL plzzzzz

Council aren't mortgage brokers or lenders. You'll need to secure a mortgage from a financial institution of some sort in order to buy from the council. Why would the council lend you some of THEIR money to buy THEIR house? Just wouldn't make sense.
miikeyblue10th May

Council aren't mortgage brokers or lenders. You'll need to secure a …Council aren't mortgage brokers or lenders. You'll need to secure a mortgage from a financial institution of some sort in order to buy from the council. Why would the council lend you some of THEIR money to buy THEIR house? Just wouldn't make sense.

What he said
Try Citizens Advice, if you have one nearby go and see them

citizensadvice.org.uk/deb…ey/

You'll get specific advice for your circumstances without having to share your personal details with strangers on the Internet.
Edited by: "Guzzle" 10th May
We had a mortgage from our council when we bought our house under the Right to buy ' scheme. Ours isn't of traditional construction so we couldn't get a mortgage elsewhere. If you are buying under this scheme then phone them and ask.
Suggesting to contact the council to see if that council can offer a mortgage on one of its council houses?! What madness is this?!
nannafish11 m ago

We had a mortgage from our council when we bought our house under the …We had a mortgage from our council when we bought our house under the Right to buy ' scheme. Ours isn't of traditional construction so we couldn't get a mortgage elsewhere. If you are buying under this scheme then phone them and ask.

A good point. Non standard construction means that selling the house to a buyer needing a mortgage will be nigh on impossible. This is where good professional, independent advice comes in. Surveys etc will warn you of problems
cdm2215 m ago

Suggesting to contact the council to see if that council can offer a …Suggesting to contact the council to see if that council can offer a mortgage on one of its council houses?! What madness is this?!

The same madness as someone joining upto a shopping deals website and first port of call is asking about why their mortgage declined and will council lend me money so can buy their house.

OP - A reputable company will explain exactly why mortgage declined, what options you have and not immediate resolutions you can look to implement now to try to have better chance of success in future.

Here's hoping you didn't complete your application using the same English grammar as your posts as that wouldn't leave positive impression.
I think the right to buy your council house has been scrapped for a few years now
The council do not lend money to buy houses, banks/building societies do. You will have to apply through one of them but be wary of applying more than twice in 12 months as it will damage your credit rating.

If you have had no form of/limited number of finance products before, are on a low income or have had issues with repayments before such as CCJ’s/defaults/bankruptcies you are far less likely to be able to get any form of mortgage and if you are lucky enough to do so it’ll be at a very unfavourable rate.

Tips to improve your credit rating:
Credit card - pay the balance in full each month (do this for a year or two).
Pay bills such as insurances monthly on time and in full
Pay utilities on time and in full
Get on the electoral role
Get a landline phone (weird one this, but it shows your are more settled and stabilised apparently)
Car finance - this can help too but you must pay it off in full
Save up money for a deposit 5-10%.

Remember before applying for a mortgage make sure you owe as little as possible in loans/credit cards etc and have a good deposit saved up.

Use an accredited financial advisor who will be able to advise you on your chances of getting accepted and where best to apply considering your circumstances (they don’t charge for their time as they make money from the bank when you get accepted for the mortgage, the bank pays them for the referral)
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 10th May
charleaward8129 m ago

The same madness as someone joining upto a shopping deals website and …The same madness as someone joining upto a shopping deals website and first port of call is asking about why their mortgage declined and will council lend me money so can buy their house.OP - A reputable company will explain exactly why mortgage declined, what options you have and not immediate resolutions you can look to implement now to try to have better chance of success in future.Here's hoping you didn't complete your application using the same English grammar as your posts as that wouldn't leave positive impression.

I think maybe English is not the OP's first language.
Edited by: "jaketheplumber" 10th May
Just to add that mortgage applications now take into account a lot more than they used to. If you get through all the credit checks the following applies:

For example they take into account your earnings that gives them an overall idea of what you can afford (their max limit they would lend to you)

Then:
They subtract about £25k per child you have which is dependant on you from that limit
Any monthly payments for loans or other forms of credit
Student loan repayments
CSA payments
Other repayments

The remainder is what they will lend you, if it’s less than the purchase price - declined
This is a lost cause people.
andree.braddick2 h, 11 m ago

As had been said, the council do not give mortgages. The right to buy is a discount off the market value. If you are eligible for a discount and you receive an offer from the council, this would make you a more attractive candidate to the mortgage companies - but you would still have to meet minimum financial standards (income, job security etc) before they will offer you a mortgage.
It certainly sounds like you have no idea what you are doing so, as had been said already, get professional advice before you commit to anything. Any mistake you make now could cost you dearly for many years.
dezbo88881 h, 27 m ago

I think the right to buy your council house has been scrapped for a few …I think the right to buy your council house has been scrapped for a few years now

Unfortunately it hasn't. I know two people who have recently bought their council properties. One lived on housing benefit for most of the time he lived there but still got full discount and he then moved in with his girlfriend. Rental income pays the mortgage on a 5 year term and he'll be selling up and moving abroad with a profit of £180k in 5 years.

The other one has lived in their flat for just 6 years and has just been offered a 70% discount.

The sooner they stop this national scandal, the better.
chocci15 m ago

Unfortunately it hasn't. I know two people who have recently bought their …Unfortunately it hasn't. I know two people who have recently bought their council properties. One lived on housing benefit for most of the time he lived there but still got full discount and he then moved in with his girlfriend. Rental income pays the mortgage on a 5 year term and he'll be selling up and moving abroad with a profit of £180k in 5 years.The other one has lived in their flat for just 6 years and has just been offered a 70% discount.The sooner they stop this national scandal, the better.

It's fine if they build new ones to replace them, but it rarely happens meaning a big lack in council houses.
joedastudd12 m ago

It's fine if they build new ones to replace them, but it rarely happens …It's fine if they build new ones to replace them, but it rarely happens meaning a big lack in council houses.

I certainly wouldn't be happy with my council tax soaring with the costs of building new council houses whilst they are selling existing ones with 70% discounts. Councils need the current income to top up their pension deficits.
chocci34 m ago

Unfortunately it hasn't. I know two people who have recently bought their …Unfortunately it hasn't. I know two people who have recently bought their council properties. One lived on housing benefit for most of the time he lived there but still got full discount and he then moved in with his girlfriend. Rental income pays the mortgage on a 5 year term and he'll be selling up and moving abroad with a profit of £180k in 5 years.The other one has lived in their flat for just 6 years and has just been offered a 70% discount.The sooner they stop this national scandal, the better.

Yet another way the working person gets screwed over. The system in this country stinks
Well I can't buy my flat .
chocci1 h, 34 m ago

I can't buy my flat . (Maybe it's different in Scotland )
dezbo88886 h, 24 m ago

I can't buy my flat . (Maybe it's different in Scotland )

Abolished in Scotland in 2016 and about to be phased out in Wales. In England, it is going to be extended to housing association tenants so even less social housing stock!
Edited by: "chocci" 11th May
Back in the 80's our council did offer mortgages but at the time it was cheaper to get one through a building society, but of course that was many years ago and things may have changed . At the time we purchased our council Flat
chocci12 h, 29 m ago

Abolished in Scotland in 2016 and about to be phased out in Wales. In …Abolished in Scotland in 2016 and about to be phased out in Wales. In England, it is going to be extended to housing association tenants so even less social housing stock!

Probably something to do with brexit or independence
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions