Expired

Council tax, account closed

Found 28th AprEdited by:"Hunt_Deal_Hunt"
Hi, I received a letter from council yesterday, it says they owe me credit of +£100 for April 2018 etc... and in reasons below it says account is closed and they will refund to my bank...

I am yet to call them on Monday, but I am not moving or anything in this rented flat then not sure why they closed my account

Any idea ?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Queen_Bee199319 m ago

You should not be opening other people’s post! If it’s not on your name it’ …You should not be opening other people’s post! If it’s not on your name it’s not for you!!

If it comes through my letter box and has my address on it I'm opening it!
19 Comments
You should not be opening other people’s post! If it’s not on your name it’s not for you!!
Could be that somebody has told the council they are moving into your address by mistake causing your account to become closed.
Give them a call and ask for clarification.
Queen_Bee199319 m ago

You should not be opening other people’s post! If it’s not on your name it’ …You should not be opening other people’s post! If it’s not on your name it’s not for you!!

If it comes through my letter box and has my address on it I'm opening it!
Queen_Bee199342 m ago

What would you say to a blind person ? He/she would receive the post in brile but without opening it he/she would not know if it's for him/her or not
LeahsMintytoutou55 m ago

If it comes through my letter box and has my address on it I'm opening it! …If it comes through my letter box and has my address on it I'm opening it!

It's against the law to open someone elses mail, read the Postal Services Act.
mattsk1 h, 8 m ago

What would you say to a blind person ? He/she would receive the post in …What would you say to a blind person ? He/she would receive the post in brile but without opening it he/she would not know if it's for him/her or not

Your point is invalid as yes they could open the post but if it’s not in Braille they cannot read it, where as someone who can see could. Well done you.
LeahsMintytoutou1 h, 36 m ago

If it comes through my letter box and has my address on it I'm opening it! …If it comes through my letter box and has my address on it I'm opening it!

You could always just write “Not known at this address. Return to sender” on the envelope and send it back. Saves getting the possibility of more in the future.
andy1861868 m ago

You could always just write “Not known at this address. Return to sender” o …You could always just write “Not known at this address. Return to sender” on the envelope and send it back. Saves getting the possibility of more in the future.

Waaaaay too simple for the OP to realise that.
Ive owned my house from the first day it was built.
Any mail delivered I open, never look at the front it to see if its mine or not.
If delivered to my letter box it must be mine.
andy1861861 h, 30 m ago

You could always just write “Not known at this address. Return to sender” o …You could always just write “Not known at this address. Return to sender” on the envelope and send it back. Saves getting the possibility of more in the future.

Too many nosey beggars
mattsk2 h, 45 m ago

What would you say to a blind person ? He/she would receive the post in …What would you say to a blind person ? He/she would receive the post in brile but without opening it he/she would not know if it's for him/her or not

That’s totally different pal but okayy
LeahsMintytoutou3 h, 9 m ago

Well it’s against the low chuck
LeahsMintytoutou16 h, 20 m ago

Even if it's in your wife's name
Some of you lack common sense and believe every ‘act’ is enforceable! They are a guide at most and the OP was looking for advice not criticism.

if you receive post into your house with your address but someone else’s name on it and they do not live in your house, you have a right to open it because they could have opened a fraudulent credit account on your address. The same applies with council letters, a person could have applied for electoral registration and the next time you’re not in your house they could enter your house and claim to be living there with a letter as proof. You will have a headache trying to get them to leave then won’t you. If you’re no longer paying council tax and not exempt but you still live at the address you are then breaking the law. A credit account linked to your address will impact on your credit rating. If a letter is addressed ‘private and confidential’ I’d be careful then. Other reasons: unpaid debts, if you ignore someone’s letters and bailiffs turn up you will end up suffering the emotional distress of proving that they don’t live there and that all the house furniture belongs to you and not the debter. Think
Edited by: "zcgby03" 29th Apr
zcgby038 m ago

Some of you lack common sense and believe every ‘act’ is enforceable! They …Some of you lack common sense and believe every ‘act’ is enforceable! They are a guide at most and the OP was looking for advice not criticism.if you receive post into your house with your address but someone else’s name on it and they do not live in your house, you have a right to open it because they could have opened a fraudulent credit account on your address. The same applies with council letters, a person could have applied for electoral registration and the next time you’re not in your house they could enter your house and claim to be living there with a letter as proof. You will have a headache trying to get them to leave then won’t you. A credit account linked to your address will impact on your credit rating. If a letter is addressed ‘private and confidential’ I’d be careful then. Other reasons: unpaid debts, if you ignore someone’s letters and bailiffs turn up you will end up suffering the emotional distress of proving that they don’t live there and that all the house furniture belongs to you and not the debter.

well said, thank you so much
Queen_Bee199319 h, 36 m ago

Well it’s against the low chuck

I know that but how they gonna prove it's not been opened by mistake? They are not
i open wverytime, unless I know it's for a neighbour I'll take it round.
I once got a letter from a company saying whoever the letter was addressed to was facing disciplinary action at work for not doing his job. A week or 2 later I got another saying they have been fired as of the end of the week and to report to the main office on their next shift. I rang the company and told them nobody lives at this address by that name nor in the street so they have the total wrong address. They noted it and I didn't get any more letters.

Last year a couple who live opposite me ripped off sky and moved and they'd given my address so I was getting the debt letters. At first I was just writing return to sender but I kept getting them every week. I ended up opening n discovered it was neighbours debt. I rang sky and told them and they refused to change the address because I could be the debtor and lieing. I had to ring about 5 occasions complaining. I've never even had sky ever and lived at my address over 10 years!

So yeah I will always open letters that come to my address
Edited by: "LeahsMintytoutou" 29th Apr
LeahsMintytoutou29th Apr

I know that but how they gonna prove it's not been opened by mistake? They …I know that but how they gonna prove it's not been opened by mistake? They are not i open wverytime, unless I know it's for a neighbour I'll take it round. I once got a letter from a company saying whoever the letter was addressed to was facing disciplinary action at work for not doing his job. A week or 2 later I got another saying they have been fired as of the end of the week and to report to the main office on their next shift. I rang the company and told them nobody lives at this address by that name nor in the street so they have the total wrong address. They noted it and I didn't get any more letters. Last year a couple who live opposite me ripped off sky and moved and they'd given my address so I was getting the debt letters. At first I was just writing return to sender but I kept getting them every week. I ended up opening n discovered it was neighbours debt. I rang sky and told them and they refused to change the address because I could be the debtor and lieing. I had to ring about 5 occasions complaining. I've never even had sky ever and lived at my address over 10 years! So yeah I will always open letters that come to my address

Don't they have an electoral register round your manor then?
Where in original post does it say the name on the letter wasn’t their’s....?????
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants