Groups
    EXPIRED

Council Tax Exemption Query

Can anyone help with the following please:

I purchased a property as a repossession in June and informed the council I was the new owner. I was told by a lady on the phone that as long as the property was unfurnished it would be exempt from Council Tax.

We then received a bill in the post for a 50% reduced rate of Council Tax.

When I telephoned the Council, the lady I spoke to explained that as the previous owner was exempt from Council Tax as the property had been repossessed then I was only eligible for a 6 month discounted rate. Her supervisor confirmed the same and said that it was "legislation across England and Wales".

Apparently if a property is exempt for a period of time then it will not qualify for another exemption for 6 months? Makes no sense to me at all.

I have searched for this "legislation" but cannot find it.

11 Comments

Does this help you?
    Read this

gov.uk/cou…ies The property is no longer repossessed as you bought it so 50% discount seems fair. but it would be even fairer for somebody to start living there.

Yep, repossessions are on the rise in my area.

Banned

It depends on your council

just pay the tax like we all have to, or get renters in to pay it.

Well we don't want to pay ours either.

Banned

whatsThePoint

I don't have to pay council tax

Thats correct. Theres no council tax payable for living in a van.

you were badly advised by the first person you spoke too

a full exemption on the property can only be granted once, and once this has passed the property can only qualify for a 50% reduction unless you meet other criteria for a full exemption

some legislation was introduced to stop people purchasing properties at reduced rates and just sitting on them until the market picked up again without paying any council tax on them

Original Poster

fuhu78888

just pay the tax like we all have to, or get renters in to pay it.

We bought the house to live in, it's our first property. We are in the process of renovating it.

Rhianne

We bought the house to live in, it's our first property. We are in the … We bought the house to live in, it's our first property. We are in the process of renovating it.

oh fair enough, well you should receive a discount while it's not being lived in imo.

Rhianne

We bought the house to live in, it's our first property. We are in the … We bought the house to live in, it's our first property. We are in the process of renovating it.

Shouldn't be a problem then if you get six months discount, as I'm sure you'll be living in it by then. Good luck in your first home.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767461
      2. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4691424
      3. GIVEAWAY - Clear out of duplicate CD Keys from Humble Bundle I have yet to …22
      4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047183

See more discussions