Groups

Council Tax question

I'm about to rent a house which technically (won't be staying there, no furniture) will be empty for the next six months, but was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to claim for a council tax exemption if you are a tenant rather than a owner.

ty

8 Comments

if you are the tenant, regardless of wheter you live in it or not, you are liable for the bills, including council tax

i got ful exemption for six months(in Scotland) but had to prove that the house was uninhabitable.

i got 6 months exeption as i was putting in a new kitchen and doing the house up.

Original Poster

I just found the info (through google, not the useless council webpages grr)
    southglos.gov.uk/NR/…5e5
    Seems I can apply for a exemption for six months:

If you own or occupy a property that is described below your bill should show an exemption.[LIST]
    [*]Empty and unfurnished property (free for up to six months. After this time you will be charged the full rate)[/LIST]Thanks for the help guys, get back to misc'ing all of ya :-D

Why would you rent somewhere and not move in, crazy foooooo :lol:

Original Poster

Shengis;6072970

Why would you rent somewhere and not move in, crazy foooooo :lol:

lol it's a long story (involving expense claims, shock horror!). My work expect me to keep a place close to where I will be permanently based even whilst on placement. Silly policy but watchyagonnado.

MoneySavingG;6087350

lol it's a long story (involving expense claims, shock horror!). My work … lol it's a long story (involving expense claims, shock horror!). My work expect me to keep a place close to where I will be permanently based even whilst on placement. Silly policy but watchyagonnado.

Oh I get it, you're an MP :lol:

Original Poster

Shengis;6087371

Oh I get it, you're an MP :lol:

Oh no, I've been rumbled. The moat was a necessary expense though you understand, to keep HUKD peasants off my land.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Report online material promoting terrorism or extremism814
      2. Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that…88
      3. Help Me Find Bright Red Exterior Paint PLEASE11
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764319

See more discussions