Council with Amex through post office

Posted 16th Feb
Since hmrc does not accept amex, i am thinking of using amex to pay council tax at a post office. Anyone done this?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

23 Comments
I am not sure they accept credit cards for tax payments. My local council doesn't - debit cards, cash or cheque only.
Edited by: "bozo007" 16th Feb
For my council, payments at the post office are cash only. Have a check on your council website.

Plus, I'm not sure what HMRC have to do with council tax?
Edited by: "valmiki" 16th Feb
bozo00716/02/2020 11:42

I am not sure they accept credit cards for tax payments.

My council (Swansea) take credit card payments, just not Amex. So I use Tandem for that one
our council take credit card payments for council tax but i am not sure about amex as they are not widely accepted so you will need to check with your own council.
Recent law change has made it easier for credit card to be used for many more payments like council taxes, buy airline tickets without additional fees etc. Some big purchases like car or holidays had added fees for credit cards. Not now. Don't know about Amex in particular but credit cards can be used for more payments than before in last year or so(maybe more).
doorswitch16/02/2020 12:45

Recent law change has made it easier for credit card to be used for many …Recent law change has made it easier for credit card to be used for many more payments like council taxes, buy airline tickets without additional fees etc. Some big purchases like car or holidays had added fees for credit cards. Not now. Don't know about Amex in particular but credit cards can be used for more payments than before in last year or so(maybe more).

I paid with credit card in my local wh smith post office but not sure about amex so wanted to check. Considering it can't be added to curve. The post is far so don't want to make special trip to ask the staff
doorswitch16/02/2020 12:45

Recent law change has made it easier for credit card to be used for many …Recent law change has made it easier for credit card to be used for many more payments like council taxes, buy airline tickets without additional fees etc. Some big purchases like car or holidays had added fees for credit cards. Not now. Don't know about Amex in particular but credit cards can be used for more payments than before in last year or so(maybe more).

If you are referring to the EU law preventing additional charges for credit card payments, this hasn't made it easier for credit cards to be used on council tax payments. Lots of councils simply stopped accepting credit cards once that rule came into place as they didn't want to pay the higher credit card processing fees and they couldn't pass that cost onto the billpayer.
jamie1516/02/2020 13:12

If you are referring to the EU law preventing additional charges for …If you are referring to the EU law preventing additional charges for credit card payments, this hasn't made it easier for credit cards to be used on council tax payments. Lots of councils simply stopped accepting credit cards once that rule came into place as they didn't want to pay the higher credit card processing fees and they couldn't pass that cost onto the billpayer.

hmrc did this. they used to allow credit card payments for your tax due but they charge you 1.5% to do so. since the law came in and they can no longer apply a credit card fee, they have stopped offering that as a payment method. the only credit card they accept now is a corporate credit card as i am assuming that the law only applies to consumers and not companies.
Anyone has Tendum credit card, I heard they have stopped any new applications - are existing members still get cashback?
adamey1916/02/2020 13:41

Anyone has Tendum credit card, I heard they have stopped any new …Anyone has Tendum credit card, I heard they have stopped any new applications - are existing members still get cashback?

Still using it until the 6th march (or something). Looked into the alternatives, the one that works for me is the Amazon Mastercard, works out at 0.25% back in the form of vouchers. Obviously, I have my Amex top of the list, and then if that's not accepted, it's Tandem for now, to be replaced by Amazon.
valmiki16/02/2020 13:43

Still using it until the 6th march (or something). Looked into the …Still using it until the 6th march (or something). Looked into the alternatives, the one that works for me is the Amazon Mastercard, works out at 0.25% back in the form of vouchers. Obviously, I have my Amex top of the list, and then if that's not accepted, it's Tandem for now, to be replaced by Amazon.

Was thinking the same. Currently have Santander but its useless.

Have you tried adding amex to curve and are they any major retailers that don't accept amex?
Edited by: "adamey19" 16th Feb
I don't use Curve, but I don't think they accept Amex.

Most major companies, supermarkets accept Amex. It's only some smaller local stores that don't take it in my experience. Smaller online companies sometimes won't take Amex either, but they may take Paypal, so my Amex card is on that list.
valmiki16/02/2020 13:49

I don't use Curve, but I don't think they accept Amex. Most major …I don't use Curve, but I don't think they accept Amex. Most major companies, supermarkets accept Amex. It's only some smaller local stores that don't take it in my experience. Smaller online companies sometimes won't take Amex either, but they may take Paypal, so my Amex card is on that list.

Cool,
adamey1916/02/2020 13:44

Was thinking the same. Currently have Santander but its useless. Have you …Was thinking the same. Currently have Santander but its useless. Have you tried adding amex to curve and are they any major retailers that don't accept amex?

If you are using Amex, always have a backup. Some places like KFC don't accept it still. Amex also doesn't always work on contactless, even if retailer accepts it you sometimes have to use chip and PIN.
jamie1516/02/2020 13:56

If you are using Amex, always have a backup. Some places like KFC don't …If you are using Amex, always have a backup. Some places like KFC don't accept it still. Amex also doesn't always work on contactless, even if retailer accepts it you sometimes have to use chip and PIN.

Thanks for the heads up. I am still double minded regarding curve as you need to spend 3k to get any cashback. Do they bring any other offers.
adamey1916/02/2020 13:59

Thanks for the heads up. I am still double minded regarding curve as you …Thanks for the heads up. I am still double minded regarding curve as you need to spend 3k to get any cashback. Do they bring any other offers.

Amex doesn't work with Curve. Amex cashback card is giving 1% back up to £10000 spend annually and 1.25% for anything over that for £25 fee. Alternatively, they give 0.5% cashback for no fee and no minimum, with 1% over £5000.
Edited by: "jamie15" 16th Feb
I've trawled through my list of payments made using my Tandem Card and it looks iike the two major retailers that don't take Amex (for me at least) are Home Bargains and Greggs

It pays to do a bit of searching for buying stuff, for example Screwfix don't accept Amex in-store, but if you pay and reserve on-line you can use Paypal, a roundabout way of using Amex.
jamie1516/02/2020 13:12

If you are referring to the EU law preventing additional charges for …If you are referring to the EU law preventing additional charges for credit card payments, this hasn't made it easier for credit cards to be used on council tax payments. Lots of councils simply stopped accepting credit cards once that rule came into place as they didn't want to pay the higher credit card processing fees and they couldn't pass that cost onto the billpayer.

I can't deny what u r saying buddy. My council allowed fee free credit card payments after the law change. It worked for me as I use a cashback credit card and I can earn something back for every time I use it.
doorswitch16/02/2020 16:39

I can't deny what u r saying buddy. My council allowed fee free credit …I can't deny what u r saying buddy. My council allowed fee free credit card payments after the law change. It worked for me as I use a cashback credit card and I can earn something back for every time I use it.

It does depend on council, some decided to absorb the costs of credit card payments but many just stopped them Of course if council allowed payments through Amex I'd say do it and get the cashback!
jamie1516/02/2020 16:40

It does depend on council, some decided to absorb the costs of credit card …It does depend on council, some decided to absorb the costs of credit card payments but many just stopped them Of course if council allowed payments through Amex I'd say do it and get the cashback!

Likewise with flight bookings. It use to be fee for credit cards but I haven't paid anything extra for using it last few times. That's why I was saying.
doorswitch16/02/2020 16:42

Likewise with flight bookings. It use to be fee for credit cards but I …Likewise with flight bookings. It use to be fee for credit cards but I haven't paid anything extra for using it last few times. That's why I was saying.

Flight bookings mostly absorbed the costs because lots of people book flights on credit cards that they probably wouldn't otherwise. Council tax is different because you legally have to pay it so councils are less concerned.
jamie1516/02/2020 16:45

Flight bookings mostly absorbed the costs because lots of people book …Flight bookings mostly absorbed the costs because lots of people book flights on credit cards that they probably wouldn't otherwise. Council tax is different because you legally have to pay it so councils are less concerned.

the credit card usage fee being removed will undoubtedly be passed on in the council tax bills for everyone. i noticed that the council in areas where people are not as affluent and more likely to run into trouble and not pay their council tax allows you to use your credit card, whereas the council in more affluent areas where everyone pays will charge you for using a credit card as they know the chance of them having to chase you is minimal.

one way or another the cost will be passed on by the retailer so the law change is a bit of a nonsense really.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants