county court dress code

Found 17th Jun 2016
Hi I'm due to attend county court soon, What am I expected to wear? Suit? Casual?
Many thanks in advance.
Community Updates
AskDress
6 Comments
be smart, always the best policy for courts
Depends why your there, smart casual is fine in most cases. What you wear doesn't make a difference to the hearing but it does give an impression.
Smart casual. I used to be a magistrate and the amount of times I saw women turn up in football kits beggars belief. We're engaged on behalf of the Queen and a defendant should respect that and turn up in attire suitable for such an occasion. I once saw a man turn up in a t-shirt emblazoned 'Same s--t different day'. He was sent home to dress appropriately in respect of Her Majesty's Court Service. Having said that one defendant stripped naked in protest of being there, he was still brought before us much to his embarrassment and our amusement.
Just wear something that is comfortable as you might have to hang around all day if the court is busy.
Toptrumpet

Smart casual. I used to be a magistrate and the amount of times I saw … Smart casual. I used to be a magistrate and the amount of times I saw women turn up in football kits beggars belief. We're engaged on behalf of the Queen and a defendant should respect that and turn up in attire suitable for such an occasion. I once saw a man turn up in a t-shirt emblazoned 'Same s--t different day'. He was sent home to dress appropriately in respect of Her Majesty's Court Service. Having said that one defendant stripped naked in protest of being there, he was still brought before us much to his embarrassment and our amusement.Just wear something that is comfortable as you might have to hang around all day if the court is busy.

How odd. I don't think many people would be thinking of the Bloody Queen
Like any important meeting, you should turn up and look smart. First impressions do count
what did you do?
I used to work in the county court, smart casual is fine, no hats to be worn in court

Avoid having t-shirts emblazoned with the following,

" +++k the bitch" to a divorce hearing,

"I'm the daddy" to a contested custody case.

"I +++++d the housing officer and he was +++p", to a housing repossession hearing

Also best to avoid bare midriffs (on either sex), shorts especially with vest tops, very, very plunging necklines especially when they show off tattoos. And yes all of the above did turn up at court over the years.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants