Couple of Xbox 360 questions

20 replies
Found 9th Jan 2008
Hi

Just a couple of questions for the Xbox experts on here..........

I've just set up my new Xbox Arcade and connected it to my Toshiba 32WL66P TV using the composite leads supplied with the Xbox. Am I going to see a big difference in picture quality using an HDMI lead or Component lead, and if so which would be the better of these?

Are everybody else's Xboxes noisy? My PS2 is almost silent in operation but the Xbox disc drive does appear to be making a fair amount of noise. Is this normal?

Thanks for looking and replies will be greatly appreciated

19 Comments

I got an arcade yesterday, have connected it to both a 40" Bravia LCD via HDMI and a 36" Sony standard TV via the supplied cable and there was quite a difference, personally I just got an HDMI because they are so cheap it didn't matter that much how big or small the difference was.

As for the noise, I can't believe how loud they are - extremely annoying!

Composite leads will give you the lowest quality picture quality, because the video signal is carried via just one cable.

You will see a huge increase in video quality by using either component or HDMI.

Yes, the xbox drive is very noisy. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it, other than turning up the TV. Remember, the drive in an XBOX360 is a DVD drive, which spins much faster than the CD drive in the PS2.

It's because the cooling system is so big in the 360. Theres 3 fans attached to the back.

Original Poster

Thanks for the comments re the noise. Thought mine was knackered already!
On the plus side though, the label on the box says 175w so I'm assuming this is a Falcon model?

It is indeed.

I own a PS3, had a 360 before, but tempted to get an arcade.

can you get a DVI cable for the 360?

Actually, there is a school of thought that says the noise from a 360 is mainly due to the DVD drive - to check this out Google 'dvd drive speed on xbox360' or something similar. There is a process which is lengthy and has to be done each time, but it slows the drive speed and hey presto it is very quiet. On prob is this has to be done every time but I certainly noticed the difference.

bazzaric;1437093

can you get a DVI cable for the 360?

you can get hdmi-dvi cables can't you? Sure you can

Currently on Virgin BB and have a wireless router for PC downstairs.

How do I get on Xbox live? Can my xbox connect wirelessly to the wireless router?

When I try to get my DS to connect to the router it says my security settings are incompatible :?

Or is it essential I purchase something extra?

Col, do you have the wireless network adapter?

t0mm;1437156

Col, do you have the wireless network adapter?

Don't think so, just bought the arcade

Do i need this?

Banned

JimmyW;1436866

I got an arcade yesterday, have connected it to both a 40" Bravia LCD via … I got an arcade yesterday, have connected it to both a 40" Bravia LCD via HDMI and a 36" Sony standard TV via the supplied cable and there was quite a difference, personally I just got an HDMI because they are so cheap it didn't matter that much how big or small the difference was.As for the noise, I can't believe how loud they are - extremely annoying!

Yes, they are noisy.... so turn the TV volume up!!!:p
Never use composite connection. (I assume that is what you meant and not component?) HDMI connection will be a massive difference. You wont realise its the same console!

col;1437175

Don't think so, just bought the arcadeDo i need this?

Yeah, it's a ripoff at £49.99, cant use any others.

You could always connect it via ethernet to your router..

t0mm;1437201

Yeah, it's a ripoff at £49.99, cant use any others.You could always … Yeah, it's a ripoff at £49.99, cant use any others.You could always connect it via ethernet to your router..

Ok think its ethernet to my router then :thumbsup: thanks

t0mm;1437201

Yeah, it's a ripoff at £49.99, cant use any others.You could always … Yeah, it's a ripoff at £49.99, cant use any others.You could always connect it via ethernet to your router..

Gamestation have them for £40.........

They are a bit overpriced but they are a nice tidy solution. It plugs into the back USB of the xbox so there are no additional cables to connect to the Xbox or to connect to a power supply.....

You can purchase "bridges" (search for gaming bridge on ebuyer to see what I mean) which are slightly cheaper but you'd still have an additional power lead and an additional network cable to hook the bridge up to the xbox.

However if your xbox is next to your router just use the ethernet cable - no additional cost and is probably more reliable.

Actually any ethernet based wireless adaptors work, I had a WGA11B and used it on my ps2, gamecube and 360 to make it wireless, it also works if your desktop hasnt got a wireless card as well.

Only downside is its not WPA compatable for security and the software isnt Vista compatable.

There is better ones out here around £40 which are WPA compatable and Vista compatable but if its just the 360 to go online may as well get the official one.

You can also share it between the pc and 360 with a ethernet cable, but obviously the pc needs to be on for it to work.

Its simple to set up that way, just connect ethernet cable to pc and 360 then go into network settings and allow other users to connect through it.

Hi people, just wondered how can you tell which model 360 you own? Heard someone say falcom in this post?? I still own a launch console, touch wood no problems so far!!! Well i say that and it does freeze now and again when loading screens. Anyways wanted to know if anyone had an Elite, does your dvd drive sound very loud too???

Another thing on my mind is warranty, i know microsoft have extended all 360 warrantys for 3 years. But for those of us lucky enough to get one at launch, we were given a warrany card that we could extend for a further 2 years at the cost of £60.00!! I have done this from day one!! Didnt hear anything for like 2 months and finally i got a certificate and a direct number (FREE PHONE) for warranty issues for my registered xbox 360. So does this mean i now have a 6year warranty on my 360 or does microsoft owe us our money back?? If anyone else has done this, whats the deal? Im gonna call my number and have a chat!!!

Please let me know if anyone has done the same!!

Kind regards searchersearcher

t0mm;1436878

It's because the cooling system is so big in the 360. Theres 3 fans … It's because the cooling system is so big in the 360. Theres 3 fans attached to the back.

There is only 2 fans in the 360 mate

I have had 2 xbox 360's and if you can get a falcon it is a little bit quieter then the older models. Also the HDMI is handy for easier connect but there is no noticeable difference between the 360 HD component cable. :thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. word association Game74244870
    2. Add one, leave one game54315392
    3. Marks & Spencer Credit Receipt?22
    4. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52322825

See more discussions