couponing

Found 19th Dec 2017
does anyone here "coupon" ? figured this would be an appropriate place to ask since chances are most of use a bargain hunters. I'm aware it's quite a big thing in the US but didnt think it was that big in the UK & i personally dont really partake however in the past week i've seen these 2 articles

thesun.co.uk/fab…ts/

thesun.co.uk/mon…ts/

an i'm thinking that perhaps i'm missing out on big savings.

Most of the coupons i've seen/recieved in the past have been for example 50p off a 500g pot of yeo valley natural yoghurt, & generally it says on the coupon "not valid in conjunction with any other offer" so if it were rolled back to say £1 then i probably cant use the coupon. Generally it retails for more than £1 so with 50p off your probably still paying at least 60p. Now asda's own is 45p (or was the last time i bought it a month or 2 ago). so although i'm saving by using the coupon i'm still effectively spending (at least) 15p extra to get the yeo valley one in the first place (for the sake of this i'm removing the quality aspect of this & focusing soley on price/expenditure).

I'm just really struggling to believe either of the above articles (perhaps using that loosely for anything written in the sun!).
The first one where she seems to go around taking the reciepts out of peoples trolleys to get money off her bill.... when i used to work in a supermarket (albeit it was a good few years ago) i'm pretty sure they could only use one reciept against the shop, i want to say it was something along the lines of every shop over £40 they could use one of the money off receipts from a previous shop.... so how did she manage to use a bunch all together. secondly i'm pretty sure there was a time clause in them ie they had to be used with in a certain time period.

the second article states this woman has only spent £20 ...i find that extrememly hard to believe given the amount of lego/duplo & playmobile stuff in the photo.... i mean even if she did get a coupon for money off those sets it's surely not going to be more than 50% & pretty sure those sets some along would be worth £20
it states
  • Drinks including 10 bottles of Jacobs Creek wine, 102 cans of Heineken, 10 bottles of Schloer, 24 bottles of Hooch, 4 bottles of Fanta, 4 bottles of Pepsi and fruit juice. Usual price: £288.80, Aimee paid: Free
but doesnt detail HOW she got this for free. Perhaps she won a hamper, is that really a skill you can hone though...i think not.

anyways i'm not sure if i just dont want to believe all this as it means admitting i've probably lost out/spent way more than i had to but honestly the whole thing just seems a bit unbeleable to me.... but enlighten me if i'm wrong & show me how to coupon! :P
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
most of the uk retailers dont allow stacking or using with any other offer... also there is often a diclaimer that minimum purchase of xxx
Edited by: "mattsk" 19th Dec 2017
My daughter does it all the time. But mainly in Tesco as they take coupons for stuff that you haven't bought.
None of this would ever happen over here end of
Oh I should add that both the links are for UK based stories
Yes you can.
Juat quickly logged into my app and few freebies there.
Recently there was cider, beer, kids snacks, breqd anything free or good discount. 32830515-M3EZp.jpg
Plus if you use quidco or tcb you can get hundreds back per year without even trying. and much more if you try. I would say £500 is achievable.

I have also had trials for free 2 wine, liquor, rum etc.
I sign up to make up trials and freebies.32830515-SBwx7.jpg
Full size, free.

There are lots of great website and facebook pages.

You can write to manuacturers and get coupons. I had yeo valley send me £10 in vouchers. I had tea towels, magnets, toys etc sent to me.

So lady in article would have used a combination of cashback over a year plus promo like free giftcard or toy on top to get everything.
It can totally be done but can I be arsed ? Absolutely not! Literally could not be bothered to waste my time searching..

I do always look for a sneaky discount when I'm buying online and also use Quidco and have a few reward cards in certain shops.. but nothing extreme..

I certainly wouldn't want to clutter my house with useless free samples I don't even want or need.. whats the point?
I can't take my money with me when I die.. it needs spending
My daughter does it all the time. But mainly in Tesco as they take coupons for stuff that you haven't bought.
Which Tesco as the ones in Cambridge and Ely only accept a coupon if you have bought the item. Thought that was nationwide now.
nannafish1 h, 0 m ago

Which Tesco as the ones in Cambridge and Ely only accept a coupon if you …Which Tesco as the ones in Cambridge and Ely only accept a coupon if you have bought the item. Thought that was nationwide now.

I'm not sure about the person you are asking , but I have noticed that if you use tesco self service / scan as you shop they take any vouchers up to a certain limit (I've never been able to work out what it is )whereas the manned tills will only take vouchers if you buy the item .
AMaky19th Dec 2017

Yes you can.Juat quickly logged into my app and few freebies …Yes you can.Juat quickly logged into my app and few freebies there.Recently there was cider, beer, kids snacks, breqd anything free or good discount. [Image] Plus if you use quidco or tcb you can get hundreds back per year without even trying. and much more if you try. I would say £500 is achievable. I have also had trials for free 2 wine, liquor, rum etc.I sign up to make up trials and freebies.[Image] Full size, free.There are lots of great website and facebook pages.You can write to manuacturers and get coupons. I had yeo valley send me £10 in vouchers. I had tea towels, magnets, toys etc sent to me.So lady in article would have used a combination of cashback over a year plus promo like free giftcard or toy on top to get everything.

Yes but for cashback or at least from what I'm aware from the likes of quidco and tcb you're only getting a % of money back. You say £500 is easy to get back but I'm that case how.mich are you actually spending out? It's rare that those sites give anything near 100% cashback ....
little_green9 m ago

Yes but for cashback or at least from what I'm aware from the likes of …Yes but for cashback or at least from what I'm aware from the likes of quidco and tcb you're only getting a % of money back. You say £500 is easy to get back but I'm that case how.mich are you actually spending out? It's rare that those sites give anything near 100% cashback ....

Do all your insurance through there - I've just got £60 from Aviva for the car insurance, we have £50 odd for the home insurance back in April. I renew our mobile contracts annually through Quidco/TCB (no network loyalty for me and living in a big city we have coverage on all the networks) and pick whatever is paying the most at the time. Last time round that was £80 for mine and £50 for my wife's. All our online purchases go through Quidco/TCB unless Amazon is cheaper after cashback or similar.

It's easy enough to get to £500 without a lot of effort at all particularly with cashback bonuses throughout the year like the £2.50 extra TCB offered daily over Black Friday week
little_green18 m ago

Yes but for cashback or at least from what I'm aware from the likes of …Yes but for cashback or at least from what I'm aware from the likes of quidco and tcb you're only getting a % of money back. You say £500 is easy to get back but I'm that case how.mich are you actually spending out? It's rare that those sites give anything near 100% cashback ....

Of course you only get a % however as the advert says, you was going to buy it anyway, meaning if you was going to buy something online, just go through a cash back site and get some pennies back. I can't help but think a lot of their savings is through cash back places, they'd look at what site will give the most for the same shop. I can imagine they've done that all year and the £500 they've "saved" has part paid for Christmas
little_green45 m ago

Like comments above you get lots of cashback for renewing insurance or opening new accounts.
So she used some 100% supermarket cashback for booze and whatever collected from cashback she spent buying Lego on deals.
£2k is RRP.

Last summer, i used mine cashbacks to pay for holidays spending money.
tinkerbellian53 m ago

I'm not sure about the person you are asking , but I have noticed that if …I'm not sure about the person you are asking , but I have noticed that if you use tesco self service / scan as you shop they take any vouchers up to a certain limit (I've never been able to work out what it is )whereas the manned tills will only take vouchers if you buy the item .

We don't use coupons that much as we can't be bothered with the hassle but whenever we do at self service they always seem to need an assistant to check it Or do you just mean the scan as you shop thing?
Domthedonkey3 m ago

We don't use coupons that much as we can't be bothered with the hassle but …We don't use coupons that much as we can't be bothered with the hassle but whenever we do at self service they always seem to need an assistant to check it Or do you just mean the scan as you shop thing?

I use the scan and shop , although there is an assistant around they don't check the vouchers , unless you reach whatever the threshold limit is . That's what I can't work out, I think it depends on the value of your shop , as I certainly get more coupons to go through when I do a large shop.
The first article she is wombling receipts that can be quite lucrative,but you have to trek around the car park at Asda,pick them up then check them online etc

OH will pick one up if he finds one in a trolley but he draws the line at scouring the car park lol
The second article does seem too good to be true and if the toys were for her children why are they pictured with them,spoiling the surprise a tad.

She has probably gotten them free due to her job as she is something to do with one of the extreme couponing blogs etc so I would take some of that with a pinch of salt to be honest.
nannafish2 h, 12 m ago

Which Tesco as the ones in Cambridge and Ely only accept a coupon if you …Which Tesco as the ones in Cambridge and Ely only accept a coupon if you have bought the item. Thought that was nationwide now.

We are on the Isle of Wight. We only have one large store.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants