Courier Service for high value item

Found 21st Jan
Hi, I need to send a load of high value computer equipment to someone both in UK and elsewhere in EU.

Which is the best courier service for my needs? I think I should go with a well known company like Dhl, UPS etc.

Look forward to hearing from you, Thx.
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
Try parcel2go. Its a price comparison site.
Get insurance to start with. Cover yourself in case it gets damaged.
Edited by: "wayners" 21st Jan
wayners21st Jan

Get insurance to start with. Cover yourself in case it gets damaged.

What do you mean? Like a household insurance or something?

I just wanted to pay for a courier service and pay extra for insurance but it seems all the parcel companies on parcel2go limit insurance for computers at £200.
Check not only the value of cover but the items they don't cover. A lot won't cover electronics.

We use UPS although we don't ship electronics so you would have to check their T&C re insurance.
Ok one thing to bear in mind, with the EU parcel companies like parcel force do not track their parcels fully outside the uk, they hand it over to delivery partners to complete the delivery. Companies like DHL have their own staff and depots in Europe and item is tracked all the way. Parcel2go is cheaper than going direct to DHL (do not use fedex, recently sent a parcel with them and it was complete nightmare trying to get it delivered in Portugal, tried to get it delivered to a house on a road which was numbered and on a map and they said they couldn’t find it that the road didn’t exist (it’s in a village and been there for about 75 years!) so got it redirected to the restaurant in the next street and two days later they managed to find it ) but make sure you use insurance.
Dpd for me is the best by a mile

There tracking is so accurate you can see where the van is at anytime and the give you a slot of one hour
Go for insured courier Parcel Force , DPD , UPS
Dhl seems OK. They charge 1.5% insurance for value of item. Seems reasonable.
I shipped 2 rack mount CD players a few years ago, one to Germany and one within the UK I used DHL for the Germany delivery and city-link for the UK one, the one to Germany was delivered 23 hours after pickup the UK one 9 days after pickup. It was also the same price for both (within about a quid).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants