Courtesy car has a screw on the edge of rear tyre - what would you do?

Found 15th Jan 2013
Tell them?
Plead ignorant?
Get it fixed?
Or other?
Community Updates
MiscCarTyresScrews
23 Comments
How obvious is it? Could it have been there before you got it?
It wouldn't be classed as an insurance related accident so they may just fix it as part of their own costs. It all depends on the typr of customer service teh company has.
if you haven't driven it yet, take a photo and tell them, show proof of mileage if neccessary. if it happened whilst in your possession, you may be better to tell them, incase they check throughly anyway. either that or leave it in, as at least it won't go down for a while with it in.
Original Poster
I parked six times today and it wasn't visible each time so not too obvious.
could the screw have come from their carpark?
Banned
plead ignorant say you never noticed and for all you know it was there when you got the car if they spot it
If it has gone through the tread, it will need a new tyre. You're responsible for the cost of this. How many miles has the car done? You could offer to pay a proportion of the remaining visible tread.... or plead ignorance.
Original Poster
Its done 1005 miles 502 of which I have done, from a Ford Main Dealer.
Edited by: "ianshona" 15th Jan 2013
Plead ignorant

If they had put a screw in your tyre on a test drive they would say nothing
ianshona

I parked six times today and it wasn't visible each time so not too … I parked six times today and it wasn't visible each time so not too obvious.

You're still driving it around ?

Get it changed before you have a blow out !

Barmy X)
Is it a large screw, or a tiddly one? When do you have to return the car?
If its a shiny screw colour it black and hope for the best
Original Poster
About an inch long wood screw. I unscrewed it to see if it leaked and it does, so screwed it back in.
Original Poster
transit

You're still driving it around ?Only doing town driving!Get it changed … You're still driving it around ?Only doing town driving!Get it changed before you have a blow out !Barmy X)

Banned
is there not a spare in the boot you can swap with they might not check
Youve got to tell them could be dangerous
Christ a tyre costs 30 quid, how much does a life cost
bet the spare is a bright yellow space saver type, better get it fixed or just potter around under 40mph all the time like my Nan oO
Don't you look where you're driving?
ianshona

So you have done 502 miles, they will without doubt say you picked it up and not the previous renter.

What model is it?
Check your hire agreement as it will most likely not cover tyres, so you will have to pay the cost of it if its below your agreed excess amount on the hire policy.

lumsdot

Youve got to tell them could be dangerousChrist a tyre costs 30 quid, how … Youve got to tell them could be dangerousChrist a tyre costs 30 quid, how much does a life cost

£30 for a new tyre ? Its not a push bike!!
Original Poster
ianshona

lumsdot

Youve got to tell them could be dangerousChrist a tyre costs 30 quid, … Youve got to tell them could be dangerousChrist a tyre costs 30 quid, how much does a life cost

It a courtesy car on my own insurance, there was no agreement.
lumsdot

Youve got to tell them could be dangerousChrist a tyre costs 30 quid, how … Youve got to tell them could be dangerousChrist a tyre costs 30 quid, how much does a life cost

I hope you know you can get most punctures repaired for £10-£15 oO
ianshona

I parked six times today and it wasn't visible each time so not too … I parked six times today and it wasn't visible each time so not too obvious.

ianshona

About an inch long wood screw. I unscrewed it to see if it leaked and it … About an inch long wood screw. I unscrewed it to see if it leaked and it does, so screwed it back in.

Haha!

Bet you won't tell them that.
better than a nut behind the wheel
At the end of the day its only you who can choose but just think how you would feel if a family got it next and the tire blew doing 70 down the motorway. It could causd one serious crash maybe killing them and others.

I hope you do the right thing anyway for the sake of £100 is it worth it. Chances are they wouldnt notice it just clean up and pass o n.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants