covering central heating pipes

Found 13th Apr 2012
Hello all

just wanting some advice on covering my CH pipes. They were in a box behind the door but the door kept on catching the box. Builder came in and took the box off, and chiselled away at the wall and tried to bury the pipes in the wall but said due to the wall being one of the main foundation walls or something, he did not want to chisel away too much for fear of weakening the wall. so the pipes are half buried in the wall so im wondering is fitting a box around them the best solution or could I just skim over the pipes or something like that?

ideall if i get a box fitted im tried to not go for a rectangle/square box but a curved one. whast the best type of material for that,anyone know?

Im thinking of getting some coving and using that to cover the pipes and then plastering/skimming the coving....

any ideas anyone?

thanks for reading.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
35 Comments

Banned

can you post a pic up to give a better idea of what it looks like?

Hi E, wish I could help but I have no idea

Just clicked to say hello really. xx

Thread needs WIHAD really X)

WoolyM

Thread needs WIHAD really X)

That did cross my mind wooly

Original Poster

maccy1

Hi E, wish I could help but I have no idea :DJust clicked to say hello … Hi E, wish I could help but I have no idea :DJust clicked to say hello really. xx

hey stranger!!

yes, the DIY has still not finished.........:(

hope you're well. Ive told the OH ive had enough of DIY and just want to go for another house, one that is preferably ready and needs nothing doing..X)

Mod & Ed

I'm here, sorry for being so long, was just knocking a little something up in my shed

its always best to put a cover over them as if you hit a nail in to the pipe its a very expensive repair!

WIHAD aint got nothing on me

Mod & Ed

Rupz

its always best to put a cover over them as if you hit a nail in to the … its always best to put a cover over them as if you hit a nail in to the pipe its a very expensive repair!WIHAD aint got nothing on me

You'd be surprised what I've got on you, I've been rooting through your bins again

wishihadadonkey

You'd be surprised what I've got on you, I've been rooting through your … You'd be surprised what I've got on you, I've been rooting through your bins again

thats my bins you rooted through but what you found is the discarded information from what i pinched from your bins X)

Mod & Ed

op, as I was about to say until rupz stole my idea, yes you are better off building something around them rather than skim over, I could always knock the wall down, re postion the pipes in the cavity & rebuild, would take me as a guestimate approx 2-3 hrs & strangely I'm available anytime

Original Poster

wishihadadonkey

I'm here, sorry for being so long, was just knocking a little something … I'm here, sorry for being so long, was just knocking a little something up in my shed

dont be daft you, no need to be sorry. any help is much appreciated. I dont mind if the cover is made of wood but I want a flexible type so it can be curved as opposed to being a box shape. and the flexibility obviously needs to be strong.

any ideas WIHAD?

Mod & Ed

Rupz

thats my bins you rooted through but what you found is the discarded … thats my bins you rooted through but what you found is the discarded information from what i pinched from your bins X)

so I'm the cross dressing transexual with ideas of riding solo around the world on a vibrating unicycle & not you then, honestly the things I get up to when I'm brian is amazing oO

EN1GMA

hey stranger!!yes, the DIY has still not finished.........:(hope you're … hey stranger!!yes, the DIY has still not finished.........:(hope you're well. Ive told the OH ive had enough of DIY and just want to go for another house, one that is preferably ready and needs nothing doing..X)

lol - I wonder how many people 'do their house up' then want to move

Mod & Ed

maccy1

lol - I wonder how many people 'do their house up' then want to move

I wonder how many people move into a lovely house, do a bit of diy & in the process make it not so lovely & then want to move

EN1GMA

dont be daft you, no need to be sorry. any help is much appreciated. I … dont be daft you, no need to be sorry. any help is much appreciated. I dont mind if the cover is made of wood but I want a flexible type so it can be curved as opposed to being a box shape. and the flexibility obviously needs to be strong.any ideas WIHAD?

your asking the wrong person again Enigma... but i will forgive lol.

You can make a curved cover as i once did by soaking the wood in water for a couple of hours and making a jig to bend it into the desired shape and putting it in a oven (i have a walk in oven at work) and letting it dry out. No doubt WIHAD will tell you the same thing in about 5 mins time after shes had time to digest my thoughts X)

wishihadadonkey

I wonder how many people move into a lovely house, do a bit of diy & in … I wonder how many people move into a lovely house, do a bit of diy & in the process make it not so lovely & then want to move

Spoken from someone who knows (maybe) X)

Mod & Ed

EN1GMA

dont be daft you, no need to be sorry. any help is much appreciated. I … dont be daft you, no need to be sorry. any help is much appreciated. I dont mind if the cover is made of wood but I want a flexible type so it can be curved as opposed to being a box shape. and the flexibility obviously needs to be strong.any ideas WIHAD?

one thing I could suggest is you can make a curved cover as i once did by soaking the wood in water for a couple of hours and making a jig to bend it into the desired shape and putting it in a oven (i have a walk in oven at work) and letting it dry out. No doubt Rupz will tell you the same thing in about 5 mins time after hes had time to digest my thoughts

wishihadadonkey

so I'm the cross dressing transexual with ideas of riding solo around the … so I'm the cross dressing transexual with ideas of riding solo around the world on a vibrating unicycle & not you then, honestly the things I get up to when I'm brian is amazing oO

OMG it must be love WIHAD that is my dream too... but i prefer the name patricia its very elegant

wishihadadonkey

one thing I could suggest is you can make a curved cover as i once did by … one thing I could suggest is you can make a curved cover as i once did by soaking the wood in water for a couple of hours and making a jig to bend it into the desired shape and putting it in a oven (i have a walk in oven at work) and letting it dry out. No doubt Rupz will tell you the same thing in about 5 mins time after hes had time to digest my thoughts

Will this work the same in a kitchen oven? What temperature is it best to set it to? Will it set off the smoke alarm?
So many questions ........ X)

Mod & Ed

Rupz

OMG it must be love WIHAD that is my dream too... but i prefer the name … OMG it must be love WIHAD that is my dream too... but i prefer the name patricia its very elegant

I could try building a tandem unicycle X)

WoolyM

Will this work the same in a kitchen oven? What temperature is it best to … Will this work the same in a kitchen oven? What temperature is it best to set it to? Will it set off the smoke alarm? So many questions ........ X)

I'll just get my assistant Rupz to answer these, all of a sudden I have a urgent trellis job on

wishihadadonkey

I could try building a tandem unicycle X)I'll just get my assistant Rupz … I could try building a tandem unicycle X)I'll just get my assistant Rupz to answer these, all of a sudden I have a urgent trellis job on

thanks WIHAD i know those trellis' must be flying out of the shed :P

Wolly, yes you can use your oven, as long as its a convention radiation its all good best temp 50 - 60 C 24 hours, no smoke alarm wount go off.

anymore questions send directly to WIHAD company email addres;

enquiries@yesitssupposedtolooklikethat.com

Original Poster

rupz and wihad..get a room

can't you use some sort of capping,then plaster over ?
tlc-direct.co.uk/Mai…tml
or flexible conduit perhaps ?
or if you can't plaster over,maybe cover them with this
bes.co.uk/pro…asp

i on the other hand,maybe talking entire carp

hi E btw
Edited by: "underthestairs" 13th Apr 2012

Original Poster

underthestairs

can't you use some sort of capping,then plaster over … can't you use some sort of capping,then plaster over ?http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Accessories_Index/Capping/index.htmlor flexible conduit perhaps ?or if you can't plaster over,maybe cover them with thishttp://www.bes.co.uk/products/137.aspi on the other hand,maybe talking entire carp

hey UTS!!

thanks for the links. I don't mind the second linked item but I wonder if they do them in a curved shape and not a boxed shape...

Banned

you shouldnt bury copper pipes in plaster / mortar anyway as it corrodes them. Need to be sheathed in proper ducting.

EN1GMA

hey UTS!!thanks for the links. I don't mind the second linked item but I … hey UTS!!thanks for the links. I don't mind the second linked item but I wonder if they do them in a curved shape and not a boxed shape...

OMG i give you all this,and you still want me to google oO
will let you know if i find anything
i presume you have 2 pipes,1 hot 1 cold ? and you want them boxed in together,or seperate covers ?

just get the missus to stand there and hold some coving in place,job done

Original Poster

underthestairs

OMG i give you all this,and you still want me to google oOwill let you … OMG i give you all this,and you still want me to google oOwill let you know if i find anythingi presume you have 2 pipes,1 hot 1 cold ? and you want them boxed in together,or seperate covers ?just get the missus to stand there and hold some coving in place,job done

yeah sorry for being abit cheeky....:p

mrs cant hold the coving as the chain wont reach from the kitchen sink.......who am I kidding, more like i'll end up holfing the coving...X)

yeah,want one box to cover both pipes.

Original Poster

csiman

you shouldnt bury copper pipes in plaster / mortar anyway as it corrodes … you shouldnt bury copper pipes in plaster / mortar anyway as it corrodes them. Need to be sheathed in proper ducting.

I thought it was standard practice to bury the pipes in plaster/mortar/walls?

oh FFS just paint the pipes X)

i would never bury the pipes in the walls either
Edited by: "underthestairs" 13th Apr 2012

Original Poster

underthestairs

oh FFS just paint the pipes X)i would never bury the pipes in the walls … oh FFS just paint the pipes X)i would never bury the pipes in the walls either

I love you too.....:p

lols E i tried

Original Poster

underthestairs

lols E i tried

tried what......? srs,im genuinely confused here. so looks like rupz and wihad took my advice eh and gone in the shed and knock something out together.....X)

EN1GMA

tried what......? srs,im genuinely confused here. so looks like rupz and … tried what......? srs,im genuinely confused here. so looks like rupz and wihad took my advice eh and gone in the shed and knock something out together.....X)

oO

tried to help you find something,but it doesn't exist,i've looked myself for years

best bet is to wait until WIHAD has patent pending on something
then it's a sure fire winner !!!!"

Mod & Ed

EN1GMA

rupz and wihad..get a room

I tried building one, but it wasn't the success I'd hoped it would be, I followed my trusty b & q leaflets as well oO

EN1GMA

I thought it was standard practice to bury the pipes in … I thought it was standard practice to bury the pipes in plaster/mortar/walls?

by a cowboy maybe but copper pipes should never be buried in walls
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions